Home General Discussion

Fuck Hotmail

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Creamy_Goodness polycounter lvl 18
> About a week ago, I logged onto to my Hotmail account to check my e-mail, and found that my account had been deleted. There was no warning of any kind; it just ceased to exist. I was able to sign up for my account again with the same username and password, but the letters I had archived were gone. I guess I'll just have to manually copy each letter I want to archive on my hard drive if I want to make sure they don't get lost if Hotmail decides to pull this shit again. I could just sign up for GMail or another service, but I'm kind of stuck with Hotmail since that's the address on all of my online works (Quake2 PPMs, Stepmania stepfiles, etc.).

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm pretty sure you can set up outlook or thunderbird to access hotmail so all your emails are stored locally. Hotmail is kind of weird about mysteriously closing down your email account for no reason.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I would suggest no longer using hotmail on new work then. Change it at as many locations as possible.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Your own website costs less than a mmorpg subscription, and you usually get unlimited email accounts. Women think websites are hot as well.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Hotmail is being shutdown/migrated to Live mail anyway.

I have plenty of gmail invites if you need one. Email all your contacts to let them know you have changed, and set up an autoforward.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, yes, Hotmail. I rarely check my account there nowadays, partially because they somehow fucked up their cookie handling so it thinks my browser doesn't accept cookies (even though I've whitelisted all the domains it uses in its login process). Perhaps it's because they use HTTPS over a certificate that isn't valid so many browsers will kill the encryption...

Never mind that the spam filter sucks so bad it had a 100% false negative rate when I checked today. Guess I'll just let the account expire, there was nothing but spam on it.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hm, well I have a couple email addys but my hotmail one has never once caused any problems.. maybe I'm just lucky
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I check my hotmail account rarely. It usually ends up being clogged with spam.

But my Gmail account and website account are just peachy.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Hotmail is my junk mail folder, and basically all the things I don't want cluttering my Gmail account. And yeah it sucks. More often I can't even sign in.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    hm. never had a problem with my hotmail account.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I quit paying attention to my hotmail account about 5 years ago. Switched to Yahoo mail, then last year switched to Gmail. Gmail is definitely the best thus far!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i use hotmail solely for stuff that im not too sure if i want to use my real email :P ...oh and msn messenger of course !
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I stopped using hotmail when microsoft bought them up in 1997 frown.gif
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    ... Women think websites are hot as well.

[/ QUOTE ]Either that's a lie or I've been talking to the wrong women!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    > About a week ago, I logged onto to my Hotmail account to check my e-mail, and found that my account had been deleted. There was no warning of any kind; it just ceased to exist. I was able to sign up for my account again with the same username and password, but the letters I had archived were gone. I guess I'll just have to manually copy each letter I want to archive on my hard drive if I want to make sure they don't get lost if Hotmail decides to pull this shit again. I could just sign up for GMail or another service, but I'm kind of stuck with Hotmail since that's the address on all of my online works (Quake2 PPMs, Stepmania stepfiles, etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]

you are a total retard, even when it was rocket mail... XYZ years ago, if you leave your account inactive for over a month they mark your account for deletion. A bit more than that and they delete it. Yahoo do the same thing. Always have done, always will. Where did you think inactive accounts go?

migrate to gmail if you need an online email.
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    no doubt, it says in the TOS that non-active accounts will be deleted

Get Gmail. Its Free and who else gives you 2.7gb and counting of email storage.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    And has an excellent spam filter.
  • Creamy_Goodness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    > You know, now that you mention it, I have a habbit of neglecting my e-mail account, and leaving it unchecked for long periods of time. It's extremely rare that I get any useful mail, since noone I know contacts me regularly, and I only send mail to people once in a blue moon. If all mail services automatically delete inactive accounts, I might as well stick to hotmail rather than changing all of my readme files, and just make it a point to check my inbox every couple weeks or so. But I still think the "total retard" comment was a bit harsh.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't your ISP give you an email account? They should, and that way you wouldn't have to worry about your account being deleted unless you changed service providers.
  • Creamy_Goodness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    > I use Comcast for my cable connection, but I'm not sure they offer a POP e-mail service. I'll have to check that out when I get a chance.
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    Get Gmail, you don't even need an invite now, they dont delete your mail.. they archive your Googletalk chats, you get a crap load of email storage, and it has a great spam filter.. GMAIL.