Home General Discussion

Farcry Wii

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sonic polycounter lvl 18
Farcry for the Wii looks like shite.

What's the deal with that arm texture? Looks like HL1 revisited.

far-cry-vengeance-20060921083022237.jpg

http://wii.ign.com/articles/733/733951p1.html

Replies

• Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Judging from the arm, Jack Carver is a burn victim.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    What the fuck? I didn't realize the main character of Far Cry is a mummified corpse.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    "While on the island he becomes a victim of scientific experimentation and since then he possesses feral powers."

maybe that explains it?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    God...that is all kinds of ugly!

And yeah. I've seen this game played on the xbox. And his "feral transformation" really just looks like someone upped the intensity of his normal map.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not going anywhere near anything ubisoft for wii, not even red steel.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    that doesnt look good, this is the sort of thing that wii could do without...

... lazy ports that is.

rayman rabbits, looks interesting, even if it does make me shudder to say that.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    They did change rayman completely though, from this awesome dead-rising'ish rabbit-slaying game to some sort of minigame-game.

because, oh minigames are SOO awesome for wii, noo? :/
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Wait, really?
    It's not rayman anymore?
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    yup, looks like crap.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Wii games looking like crap? No way!!........

TURD:
    928517_20060915_screen001.jpg

TURD:
    932528_20060913_screen001.jpg

SUPER TURD:
    933010_20060915_screen005.jpg

I think the environment's texture budget was like 32KB on that last one...lol

The only decent looking games they have so far as Zelda, Mario Galaxy and Rayman. Yeah yeah, it's all about the "wand", not the graphics. Keep right on saying that, if it makes you feel better. It took 5 years for me to give World War 2 Online a try, because I thought it looked god awful. The visuals were painful enough to the eyes to where I was just like "iew, screw this". But I gave it a try in January and have been hooked ever since. Same principal here. If the games don't at least look on par with other games, a lot of people won't be willing to give them a shot, even if the control scheme kicks ass. I'm looking forward to Zelda, Mario and Rayman. I'm also looking forward to the rumored "mature" games coming to Wii, such as Grand Theft Auto. I can only hope that they can pick up the graphical level on their games. Otherwise a lot of games won't be given a chance.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It's all about the artist actually smile.gif

we'll see horrible looking games on 360, and we'll see lovely games on Wii.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well yeah they dont look as good still, but moving alot of the examples youve given look pretty sweet. metroid esp has style and colour, and alot of screen effects that kind of look crap when still but bring the game world alive when moving.

call me stooooooopid but i like the look style of the sport games. its like theyre taking the Wii with the graphics, if they can sell alot of that with those graphics it will be a big fingers up to the other consoles manufactures ideas of next-gen.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Polycount should make a DVD for developers titled, "How to Not Make a Turd for the Wii... By Polycount".
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Does the Wii support normal mapping? I know the press said it was more powerful than xbox:

931340_20060404_screen001.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i thought it did, maybe rushed port is to blame
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    while a frantic fanboy of nintendo, I truly must say that farcry looks like a pile of turd poop... but I also know that wii can do so much better... en GC could -.-
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And Far Cry on the PC looks better than the 360, who cares.

I have a 360 if I want "next gen under kill" (bloom effect + shitty spec maps does not = great game) I'll go play it. I will be buying the Wii because it will have interesting games that will more than likely be fun for a month or two.
    I'm buying a Wii not because it beats the 360 or PS3 at what they do but because it is different. I don't want to rebuy Nintendo's clone of a 360, I want Nintendo to keep doing what it does best inovate and make fun games.

Just because the sandbox is now bigger it doesn't mean the sand castles will always be better.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    wow vassago, give me a break. the wii hardware is far inferior to that of x360 and ps3 ... besides wiisports are quick easy fun little games that take advantage of Mii and demonstrate the different functionalities of the controller ...

Wii sports is not supposed to be a fully fledged sports game or anything of that sort ...

I think Red Steel looks decent, and metroid looks pretty damn nice .... I really dont see what you are getting at here ..

Farcry does look turdish though ...

I think re4 looked absolutely fantastic on the GC, it's all about the art direction and optimal use of system's hardware. You dont neccesarily need to use highrez textures, crazy normal maps and super bloom to make a presentation impressive.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    This is one of the Ubi Far Cry games. I think everything after the original Crytec PC game has been made by Ubi. The recent Far Cry: Instincts: Predator demo on the 360 was a giant turd. It looked pretty similar to those Wii shots. Even worse was that none of the gameplay was anything like the orignal game. They're working on Far Cry 2 now for consoles so I'm sure it will be just as shitty.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Lol, you people complain so much its incredible.

Games, WHAAA
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    You dont neccesarily need to use highrez textures, crazy normal maps and super bloom to make a presentation impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely right, but if a game looks like crap it will turn a lot of people away. You cannot deny that. I still feel it was abad choice for them to not support HD resolutions as well.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its cool that they are willing to cater to the "next gen" crowd by porting titles, especially when its not thier focus. Nintendo is pretty clear they are going in another direction than what Sony and Microsoft are doing. I say stick to comparing apples to apples.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I still feel it was abad choice for them to not support HD resolutions as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I like how you specifically picked screenshots that show pretty uninteresting game situations.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, this topic derailed quickly. I think a ton of the Wii games look great, and I love the style of Red Steel. I was just pointing out how shitty Far Cry looked tongue.gif
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't blame the tech, but the artist's who are convinced they need powerful tech to make good looking art.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't blame the tech, but the artist's who are convinced they need powerful tech to make good looking art.

[/ QUOTE ]

BAM!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    No, you can't blame the want to use power tech either. You can only blame the artist's inability to produce quality artwork. I doubt these screen shots would have looked better had they decided to go "old school" and not use the new technology.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I mean, it's good that nintendo is going for fun games, but dammit, they have to make them look good or hardly anyone is going to buy the fucking system. Sad world, but still, it's pretty much true.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure about that...most the non player people I know are talking more about the wii than any other system, just because it's simple, fun and cheap.
    Man...even my dad told me that this system was cool !!!! He never played a single game !!!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, damn spoilt brats. Give me 100 polys and a few 32*32 textures and I'll rock your fucking world.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, damn spoilt brats. Give me 100 polys and a few 32*32 textures and I'll rock your fucking world.

[/ QUOTE ]
    FarCry was based on the concept that they could use new tech to put a bazillion trees on an island with lots of fancy shaders and water and that sort of stuff.

And it worked. FarCry looks quite nice. Yes it has flaws, but outside of artistic boards like this few people notice.

With FarCry Wii they are trying to put out the game on a system that doesn't have the tech to do what the entire game was based on in the first place.

The problem isn't that they're using tech to make up for lack of artistic ability. The problem is they are trying to use tech that isn't there. And that is quite obviously stupid.

Will still sell, though. Just have to put a nice high-res picture on the box.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Wii certaintly supports normal mapping
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont know why . but somehow the wii doesnt looks next gen to me. :\
    looks like a gamecube version2
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

The problem isn't that they're using tech to make up for lack of artistic ability. The problem is they are trying to use tech that isn't there. And that is quite obviously stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

The wii definitely beats the first xbox, which did it just fine.