Home› General Discussion

Gran Tourismo HD (the crap we might see happening)

[ QUOTE ]
There's horse armor and then there's the kind of microtransactions that Famitsu is reporting (via: Beyond3D and the vitriolic NeoGAF). According to the Famitsu inteview with Kazunori Yamauchi, Gran Turismo HD will have two SKUs on the PS3. One of these games will ship with no cars, all of them will be purchased via microtransactions.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153775

Good thing I never liked the franchise to begin with.

I'm fine with some microtransactions being used to improve on the games I purchase, but giving the buyer no immediate access to any content at all is quite frankly, retarded, especially if they expect the person to pay 60+ dollars for the disk.

At least they have the other sku, the 'premium' version. 30 cars, 2 tracks... yay... that's not going to get boring fast.

Oh well, we'll see how this one goes for them.

Replies

• BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    Forza 2, for the win!!! laugh.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good thing there aren't 50 other Grand Tourismo knock-offs that come with cars and don't cost $60. Whatever will I do when I get the itch to bounce a high preformance car off concrete barriers?
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Or I could just play the previous Gran Turismo games...that come with hundreds of Cars right on the disk..."microtransactions" sound silly.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I know a lot of gamers that will be just fine about this.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    It really is amazing how much I have come to hate Sony these days because of junk like this. But it's not like I have to fret about them much longer. They'll be bankrupt in ~5 years anyways.

(BTW - I just quit Sony after working for them for 5 years)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe if the GT series didnt suck to begin with... No clutch ('driving simulation' my ass), horrid steering controls... about the only thing that was ever going for that series was their music selection...
    I assume there's gonna be microtransactions for the individual upgrades as well...
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    wow they found a way of making people buy a game and when they play it it will apear a menu saying "suckers!!!" ... Really, this is simply imbecilism, oh and of course, more money for them , less quantity for us.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Heck, they're spending almost all their reserve cash on the PS3, in fact, they should have micropayments to turn the thing on!
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    How would this affect multiplayer games? If they force you to only run the cars you have purchased, then you'd never be able to drive a better car than the next guy unless you shelled out some extra dough for a faster ride. (They are doing multiplayer, right)
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I may be totally wrong, but I thought I recalled the Sony rep's PS3 speach at the Austin Game Conference a year ago mentioning that they saw buying game content online as the future (speaking of their system). I'll have to find a transcript to be certain. Basically, it sounds about like the farmers in mmorpgs selling gold on ebay.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Your right Miles. They were talking about EverQuest(Sony) and how they were planning on selling items and gold and whatnot themselves through microtransactions in the game, instead of seeing all that money go to china.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    crap, crap, crap....

And following the comments of some of you about the GT series, i never liked it too. Always seem dull and boring. Racing games are always boring anyways, but things like Toca3 are at least better...
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Gran Turismo has a very special following, i really like their games for the artistic level of quality and the shere amount of vehicles at your disposal ..

it's quite a realistic driving game, but it's definitely not a complete driving simulator like LFS is ..

It's my understanding that GT HD and GT5 are two different things ?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    GT:HD from what i've heard is essentially a port of GT4. I could easily be wrong.

as for being realistic, forza nailed things alot better. gran turismo felt more arcade-ish
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Correct. GT:HD was originally nothing more than a milestone for Polyphony. They were supposed to get all GT4 content running in 1080p to test the PS3. GT5 will be 100% all new content, which takes advantage of PS3 hardware.

While it sucks that we'll be paying full-price for a game with no cards, the idea is sound. If they charged $30 or so for the game disc, it wouldn't be so bad. I mean, GT has like 300+ cars - how many do you ACTUALLY drive? In GT4, I beat the whole career mode and only drove like 25-30 cars, tops. I never even tested the other 250+ cars.
    So with this business model, you only buy what you want to play as. It's really not that bad. But charging full price ($60) and THEN pulling this crap? No thanks. That's BS.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Sony continue to baffle me, I wonder if they will get away with all their bellicose posturing and arrogant insistence upon the public being willing to endure the cattle brands because it says Sony.

r.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    If its between this and advertising in games. I may be going on a limb here, but I would choose this direction. But Vassago has a point.. Full $60 price?

I mean they should at least give you a core amount of cars that make it possible to beat the game (though not as easy). While offering these for purchase, or even possibly unlocking (but making the unlocking process soo incredible difficult that most people choose to purchase).
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    You know... I think everything thinks advertising in games, is a big ass Axe body spray poster in everquest. THAT is not the case, its more like product placement, like sam fisher using a specific brand of cellphone, etc. Frankly, anything that brings the developer more money is cool in my book.

and as far as Sony is concerned, Micro transactions are great, when they add to a game, and are not required to enjoy said game, I suppose someone could theoretically enjoy 2 tracks.. Racing isn't my genre really, either way, they all feel like Rad Racer to me :|
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    You know... I think everything thinks advertising in games, is a big ass Axe body spray poster in everquest. THAT is not the case, its more like product placement, like sam fisher using a specific brand of cellphone, etc. Frankly, anything that brings the developer more money is cool in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but it may not be the devs that benefit from this. EG publishers in future insist that you make your cartooony platform dude use a certain brand of phone, to ring his mates to get your high score. think orange adds, then think about alot of games publishers, that worrys me.

micropayments would be cool if it meant you could buy a game like GT for 30 quid, therefore not wasting your money on countless cars that you never play.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Absolutly true Robert Headley! I keep hearing comments agaist advertising in games. I really don't mind at all. Means more money for the industry that support most of you laugh.gif

And yes, true again about the microtransactions, would be a great idea if the player wasn't forced to use it.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    Sony hates their customers. Hell, aren't they the ones that keep insisting people would buy the PS3 if it didn't have any games? Or if they shit in a box and stamped 'Sony' on it? How do you get to that level of blindness??

The only way I could see this being a good thing is if they gave the 'access disk' out free. Fuck, I wouldn't pay for a special browser that allowed me to pay for certain programs; that's what Sony seems to be trying to do here. Pay for the right to pay for actual content? Fuck that noise.

Frank the Avenger
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    here pay $60 for a demo disk.....

...well that might be an ok thing.

get demo disk on front of mag, with game engine and first level, then make them pay for every level there after.

if it was a case of simply clicking on "bill my account" id probably gaive alot more games a try. id probably spend same amount on games but spread that accross more companies.

also it would put a stop to some games, make first few levels really good then do fillers befor final sherbang, (naming no names... halo 2s convent ship levels), as every level would have to make you want to play next... cue rediculas cliff hangers
  • wille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wille polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    You know... I think everything thinks advertising in games, is a big ass Axe body spray poster in everquest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually in GRAW pc we have JUST that! AXE posters that is..they replaced my hillarious "Pizza hat" and "Sedan Fugit-live the dream, cross the border" ads...awww frown.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I would think for multiplayer mode you would only be able to race on the tracks you own but be able to see all the other cars that you dont. This makes the player want to buy the other cars. I dont even think that you are really downloading this shit, your just downloading a turn on code for the track or car. It would make more sense that all the cars would be on the dvd and your just turning them on. Later as they make more cars they put those up for download as well, only those will take longer to get.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    GT HD is also GT4 ported to 1080i, unless something's changed. Paying for cars in a ps3 game is bad enough, but this is a ps3 game many of which's players will already own on the ps2.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    1080p. GT4 was already capable of 1080i.