Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment: Tunnel

Replies

• sevenfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    sevenfingers polycounter lvl 18
    Nice. One thing though, this is in bad need of some ambient occlusion to ground the objects. they look floating.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    this would look nice rendered with GI - maybe some dust particles
  • Atrocity
    Offline / Send Message
    Atrocity polycounter lvl 17
    I'm liking the environment. I do agree with hawken though, some dust particles might look really nice in this scene. I'm also thinking on the fist picture the upper left area of the picture seems empty, maybe some wires or something to break up the area a little?

Other than that looking good, keep us updated.
  • noritsune
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    You have nice shapes, styles, and colors going on here but I think there is still a ways you can go.

Most importantly, as the others have mentioned, is to render with some sort of radiosity/GI/ambient occlusion or whatever you want to call it. Also, is that daylight coming in from the left there? if so, I'd increase the intensity of the daylight and by extension the contrast in the rest of the scene's lighting.

With your textures, it's not clear to me what the atmosphere of this setting is. the shapes and marbley materials on the walls suggest a sleek retro setting, almost like something you'd see in a private jet. But then there are inexplicable crates and barrels sitting in the corner. If this is a shipping/storage/warehouse kind of area, as crates and barrels would suggest, the rest of the environment needs to be MUCH dirtier.

What type of shaders are you using in this scene?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    wow remembers me of kotor art eheh . nice job ! some more shadow improvement yep...
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    The brown areas bother me. What are they made of anyway? Looks like some sort of wood, but that's something you use to decorate rich places with, not places where you dump your barrels. Furthermore, the edges. Is that weathering? In that case, seems a bit silly that the edges of the ceiling are weathered, but the sides in the elevator(-esque thing?) are not; they'd probably receive much more contact.

And the floor hasn't been touched at all. You'd expect the path from the elevator(-esque thing?) to the door to be much dirtier and worn than the rest of the floor.
  • fogmann
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice, and I agree with what has been already said, but I would also add that the design is impractical, because if those crates and barrels are to be carried through the tunnel, one would have to be very careful and watch the step when going through the door (which at least seems to be tall enough for person to walk through without bowing down), let alone it being impossible to carry those objects through the door on a dolly or small vehicle.

For me at least, those crates and barrels look out of place and if they weren't there, you could have a whole different atmosphere going on, especially if you try experimenting more with lighting and shadows.
  • cyborgkatana
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    lighting is still terrible, I think thats what the majority of posts here are about wink.gif
  • warby
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me alot of perfeckt dark zero ( intentional ??? )

OMG wooden crates in a scifi env like this ? wodden crates are a pre ww2 thing !!!!
  • Fjornsvavne
    Offline / Send Message
    Fjornsvavne polycounter lvl 17
    Is this tunnel under water? The surrounding seems so but the tunnel doesn't show it. I do agree the lighting isn't that convincing, and personally I don't see those objects fit, hehe. smile.gif
    Not beeing all bad, the texturing is. Looking neat. ^^
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i see some wooden crates at bebop , but they are at the hold, putting barrels etc in corridors doesnt make much sense too.
  • cyborgkatana
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I like it, except for the lighting problem already mentionned and also:

I think you should remove most of the white peeled-off paint effect on the the windows and doors sharp edges. These things should appear where human-made usure occurs (close to the ground etc) but not everywhere, esp not on the ceiling.

Hope this helps!
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Why are those cables hanging out? I can understand that perhaps one hatch is open, but all of them? Wit hte same cables hanging out?

The weathering at the edges of all the metal panels is much too uniform.
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • cyborgkatana
  • kat
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Water tends to give off very diffuse filtered lighting, almost 'ambient' (even when casting light 'directly'), rather than the sort of effect you have there that's more associative with spot lights.

If you want to add caustic higlights they need to be really large diffuse pools of light rather than sharp edged as they are now.

The scene looks good overall, get the caustics right and you'll have a winner so they're worth playing with to get the right look.
  • cyborgkatana
  • Mark Dygert
    You did a great job with the textures awesome work! I'm not sure if all of this is modeled or if this is all normal maps? Either way you did a great job building the scene.

I like it all but the lighting specificily the lighting effects being cast on the floor. That effect should be defusly scattered all over, Kat talked about it and I don't think it sunk in. Since I am a very visual guy and stuck at discribing things I did a paint over for ya to illustrate the point most people are trying to get across.
    Chunnel01.jpg
    I went alittle over the top but its because I am trying to make a point about how light underwater works. Its not like light coming in thru a window on a sunny day, water is more dense and defuses light more. That defusion is going on outside the tunnel but doesn't carry over to inside. Projection maps are great but tricky to use, I would take it out and add this effect post production as most people do. You might want to search around and see if you can find a rendering plugin that simulates this effect?

This is one of the most difficult lighting set ups you might ever have to make, for someone who is new to lighting you seem to be doing a good job, keep at it you'll nail it. =)
  • kiril0t
    Offline / Send Message
    kiril0t polycounter lvl 12
    just a small thing, but it looks like theres water runnig outside the windows as it does when its raing, i dont think you'd get that underwater(cans say never been :P), unless maby its perspiration on the inside because of temperature? and if so maby have some variance in the texture and make the windows a bit more fogy to get that across, that paintover rocks vig and so does this sceene but push it, its almost there