Home General Discussion

eragon trailer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
never read the books, but my brother keeps telling me how good they are. could be neat. i like that the dragon has feathers.

http://pdl.stream.aol.com/aol/us/moviefo...4joidfj3_dl.mov

Replies

• hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    looks like a good saturday afternoon flick, hope the battle scenes are somewhat more entertaining than Narnia. I guess a lot of the random effects in the trailer (horrible lens flare etc) were added by the trailer editors, can't imagine that sort of junk in the film.

Someone needs to put sex back into Sword & Sorcery films, what ever happened to the good old days of Conan and bare chested women?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    But... but... boobies give you R rating and you cant have that, now can you?
    I hate ratings, it promotes self censoring to show your shits for bigger audience.

BTW this movie might turn out OK, even tho i dont think the "bad king" dood fits in very well and also i dont like teenager heroes. They sound like "mommy, mommy, where is my peacemaker?" and i just fucking cant take them seriously.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Looks wank. I especially didn't like the "I'm the dragon rider and I say we go"... "It's my party and you can't have a drink!" that kind of shit. Eragon looks younger than me ¬_¬
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Eragon looks younger than me ¬_¬

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha! laugh.gif
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    The funny thing about films is that the visual FX keep getting better and better yet the narrative and characters seem to dwell in some kind of childish quagmire.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    The book wasn't anything special... Its pretty much a blatant copy of every cliche'd aspect you could find in modern fantasy books, a la Jordan. In fact, parts of it read like he just replaced names. Still, I read it, so I guess they weren't horrible.

Movie looks fun.

Not bad for a fifteen year old.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    If I didn't know any better I'd say "Sci Fi channel got a bigger budget and better casting for their origin movies!" My thoughts echo what you guys are saying. Personally I'm not a fan at all of the cliche plot where "young person turns out to be "the chosen one" and beats the crap out of a much more battle hardened and experienced enemy. Hawken is right, more fantasy man boob and sorceress titty plzkthx!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    looks like a good saturday afternoon flick, hope the battle scenes are somewhat more entertaining than Narnia. I guess a lot of the random effects in the trailer (horrible lens flare etc) were added by the trailer editors, can't imagine that sort of junk in the film.

Someone needs to put sex back into Sword & Sorcery films, what ever happened to the good old days of Conan and bare chested women?

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this boobies and swords work just as well as boobies and guns !!! who cares about R rated ?
    Im worreid about the cheese factor in this movie..
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I want a movie like that Muse Video.
  • wille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wille polycounter lvl 17
    where is dennis quaid and sean connery?
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    You can't have boobies and blood in fantasy, fantasy is for kids!

So say the parents of Harry Potter fans, anyway. tongue.gif

Frank the Avenger
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to listen to this book at work and I couldn't make it past the first chapter.

So many generic cliches were established in that first chapter that I just had to shut it off.

It just felt like some fanboy's DnD campaign that he felt he should write up. Like DragonLance, only not as good.

As far as the trailer goes, it's taking forever to download, so I'll have to comment on it later. I fully believe the movie could be fun to watch.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I hate to say it, but it really reminds me of that Dungeons and Dragons movie that sucked ass a while back.
    If you want a little sex with your fantasy, I HIGHLY recommend the Song of Ice and Fire Series by George R.R. Martin.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    [ QUOTE ]
    Looks wank. I especially didn't like the "I'm the dragon rider and I say we go"... "It's my party and you can't have a drink!" that kind of shit. Eragon looks younger than me ¬_¬

[/ QUOTE ]

read the books, that was actually an important line... they used it totally wrong in that trailer.

from what ive seen though, fox have completely changed a lot of major points from the books, like for example: Saphira (the dragon) only learns to breath fire at the very end of the book at the END of the battle, not before its even begun...

you never see King Galbatorix, and he has no dialogue in the books.

Durza, the shade, didnt use magic in the books, in the world of Eragon, knowing magic grants you the power to obliterate anyone/thing with a single word, because of this, even if you kill someone, they might destroy you with their last breath.
    dueling with magic was so strict because of this, that you never use magic until you have completely dominated your opponents mind, to the point where they cannot counter. Durza and Eragon only dual in this fashion at the end of the book, the scene in the trailer is mid-story (yes they have more than one encounter).

from the looks of things, this movie isnt going to be too great, but i highly recommend the books. they have already been read more times by me in the last 2 years, than the LOTR series have in my whole life...

ps. eragon is only 15 (i think) in the books, and isnt "the chosen one", as there are more dragon eggs left, they just havent hatched at this point.

i would also like to point out, that he spends the end of the first book and much of the second, being a cripple.

i would also like to point out that i think the books rock, hard.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

read the books, that was actually an important line... they used it totally wrong in that trailer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't read books without picture, which doesn't include comics smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    King Galbatorix? sounds like he belongs in a certain Gaul village..
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    rofl, yeah i guess :P

the book is pretty ingenius though, has its own working language incorperated into it, which can only be said about 1 other series that i know of.

all the more impressive that the writer was only 16 when he wrote the book.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Have you read any Robert Jordan, gir?

its kind of amazingly similar, only much better in my opinion.

I'd say his books are pretty obviously written by a 15-16 year old.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i havent, no. but if you can give me any recommended titles, im heading to the library tomorrow morning =]

i dont know what it is about Eragon, and Eldest, the sequal. but they both cought me so hard. even my dad and uncles love the books, i had to buy a second copy of each because i lend the first two out so much hahaha.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I'd start at the beginning, Robert Jordan's The Eye of the World.

I always thought it a bit odd that the dragon in eragon had feathers, among some other features. I never felt she was described well enough.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    I'm a fantasy whore and can't get enough sword and sorcery on film good or bad so I'll be on line for this when it comes out for sure!

PS: Muse Rocks!

Marcus Dublin

Artist - Kaos Studios
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    sectaurs... dont go reccomending robert jordan books... first 4 or 5 might of been good.. but come on! Now he just keeps poppin em out for the cash.

George R.R. Martin is the king of fantasy books. My favorite fiction author atm.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    qute! may i guess that there will be sweet love between the young rider and the princess? smile.gif

If we are doing recommendations i would like to name Robin Hobb and her books, for example the farseer trilogy. Kicks ass!
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Now what we need is a decent screen adaption of one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. Possibly animated?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Haha. I know. He's only got like two more to write, though. I WILL FINISH THAT FUCKING SERIES.

George R.R. Martin certainly takes the cake, I'm still waiting for his new book, which he wrote at the same time as the last. grr.

Robin Hobb is pretty good as well. However, my suggestion for Jordan was specifically because it was a more developed version of Eragon.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    [ QUOTE ]
    qute! may i guess that there will be sweet love between the young rider and the princess? smile.gif

If we are doing recommendations i would like to name Robin Hobb and her books, for example the farseer trilogy. Kicks ass!

[/ QUOTE ]

not really, the "princess" is an elf, who is 90 years older than him, and refuses to reciprocate :P

i picked up Eye of the world this morning, ill start reading later.

and in the book, she didnt have feathers, the auther DID describe her well enough for you to know that... looks like FOX are fucking up again.

Discworld books are some of my favorites, of all time. but i'd have to say the one series of books that i keep reading over and over without getting bored, is the Slayer series, from the Warhammer world.

the first book is pretty serious in its tone, but when you get to the second book, and both the skaven, and Snorri are introduced, they become extremely funny, as well as dark and brooding.

exerp: "it appears our lord will not be with us, after an unfortunate accident involving an arrow, and an exploding donkey".

hahaha
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    Gir, just read the first Gotrek Omnibus and have to say it was quite a fun read. Snorri is comical, as is the skaven society. Bunch of backstabbing little rats. Anyway, to stay on topic I'll probably check this movie out even though I have never read the books. It looks average at best.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    started reading Eragon a few hours ago. woefully amatureish at the beginning but it gets better.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Haha. I know. He's only got like two more to write, though. I WILL FINISH THAT FUCKING SERIES.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You know he started the series as a trilogy, right? And after the first two sold so well he's just been dragging it out, right?

Frank the Avenger
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, but he put a definate number cap. After that He wants to get back to writing prequels and histories about the story. or something.

quit pissin in my cheerios