Home General Discussion

Blue sky nails Seuss!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
oh man what an awesome job they did on making the Doctors style 3d! amazing, cant wait for a trailer.

http://comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=16502

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Hot damn those screenshots are incredible, very painterly style. Thanks for the Heads Up arsh, I grew up on Seuss as I'm sure many of you did, Blue Sky does great work and this should be incredible!
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    that looks awesome, i like the way the little ants look with their flower, nice stuff.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I dont really remember this dr. seuss book.

I was really hoping they'd recreate the Lorax. That was always my favorite. It'd make a good 30 minute short.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    sweet! classic suess! beautiful take on it to 3d too!
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    My dad used to have a box full of old Dr. Suess books from when he was a kid, and I remember Horton Hears a Who was his personal favorite. That first render looks AWESOME. As ebagg said, very "painterly" style.
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    that is just amazing, totally.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    I would love to see The Lorax and The Butter Battle turned into 3D movies with that type of style. I didn't realize how political/ideological some of his books were till I recently looked them back up...I love the idea that a childrens book teaches the lesson of mutually assured destruction. I also read that his books are banned in some schools for being "too political" What that probably means is something more like "too liberal"

Arr...we don't want to be teachin our children namby pamby, wishy washy environmentalist crap...thats for tree huggin hippies and people who appriciate the air they breath...the water they drink...and the land they live on...there could be a very profitable factory there...making ME more money. We can even use statistics to show that we have done a great service to mankind by increasing the economic potential of this previously impoverished, tree covered contry, when infact all that economic growth has only benefited the people who really deserve it...the wealthiest 1% of course!

Sorry...just kinda spilled out tongue.gif
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Woohoo! I'm lovin it. Great look they have going on.
  • morrowindsky81993
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morrowindsky81993 polycounter lvl 17
    Man, I don't think even the XBOX 360 could beat that right now!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Woah.
    Seriously.
    I'm watching that movie for nostalgia and eye-candy.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I would love to see The Lorax and The Butter Battle turned into 3D movies with that type of style.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad someone else knows about the butter battle. I bring that book up and nobody knows what the hell I'm talking about.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Man, I don't think even the XBOX 360 could beat that right now!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Forget the 360, there isn't ANY hardware out there that could even come close to rendering that in real-time. It takes weeks for a 500 CPU render-farm to render this stuff, so you can forget about something like that running on an Xbox.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree. THE LORAX.
    That book was so fucking awesome. Though, people might take it as a political message now days.

Or maybe they could make a movie that contained a bunch of his shorter books?
    It'd have more than 1 book, and that'd be awesome.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I agree. THE LORAX.
    That book was so fucking awesome. Though, people might take it as a political message now days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Dr. Seuss often used his work as a vessel for his political views!

"Lorax" is quite obviously a story that protests deforestation and the growth of natural-resource-destroying big business. "The Butter Battle" clearly reflects the arms race of the Cold War era that it was written in; the two nations race for larger and larger weapons until the standoff threatens to consume them all.

Books aren't always just about the pretty pictures. tongue.gif

EDIT - Oops, didn't see you there, Cthogua. I agree that children should be asked to delve a bit further into Seuss' work. Messages taught by books like "Lorax" are increasingly important (and infinitely insightful).
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, might was an understatement.
    They will, because it is.
    I'm just recalling my uncle and I watching the day after tommorow.
    He claimed it was all an anti-bush propaganda thingy.