Home Technical Talk

silo 2 beta users:

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
my beta license expired today, which I had no idea would happen.. luckily, I had my work saved to obj otherwise I could be looking at stuff locked in silo2 beta format...

mine, and mops have both expired. I've only managed to find one or two other references to expired versions on the web, but I bought mine fairly close to the beta release so it could be yet to affect people.

I got mine somewhere around the beginning of august, so I guess about 40-45 days ago. Just thought I'd mention it, and advise people to save copies of anything you might want to obj incase yours expires too

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Indeed, it's kinda irritating... unlike rooster though I didn't have any important work in progress. I don't recall ever reading anything on the Silo site or installer that mentioned an expiry date.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    The reason it expired is because they are releasing the new beta, hopefully tomorrow. They are issuing new keys to ease bug tracking, so they won't get reports from people using the old beta and so it doesn't remain in circulation.

They mentioned this in the September 16th news post on the silo forums http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7401

"We're sending the beta testers a new private beta tonight, which we hope will become the next public beta, ideally by Monday. We know people's beta keys are expiring, so if for some unforseen reason we can't get you a beta by late Monday night, we'll get you an updated version of the last beta to tide you over. We have to make the betas expire to be sure that these early buggy versions are not out in the wild any longer than is necessary, and so we don't get confused bug reports because people are using different beta versions."
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    aah, I searched their forums for expired beta and never came across that thread, hmm. cheers!

edit: on a side note, can't wait to try the new one!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Consumption of marmite tends to dim the intelligence, as witnessed :P

The tweaks to the displacement painting should be nice, I hope they fix mouse issues too and allow for a keyboard hotkey to control brush size/strength (I don't have a MMB on my tablet pen frown.gif ).
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    maybe so, but it does unleash the strength of 10 bears. Kind of like a brown, pungent spinach