Home Technical Talk

There has to be a way...

mod
Offline / Send Message
Geezus mod
Max 8 Character Studio Question here:
Say I have a simply walk cycle, where my biped is covering distance, from frame 0-40. My character has a long distance to walk, so I'd like to be able to simply save that animation from 0-40 out and load it for 40-80. I've been having problems with the save/merge animation features with the Biped (it would simply crash max when I tried to load a saved animation). I've also had problems attempting to do this with my own rigs. When I used my own rigs pretty much anything keyed would snap back to where it was originally keyed. So I was never really able to have my character cover distance at frame 0-40, save it, load it at 40-80, load it at 80-120, and each time have it continue to cover distance.
There has to be a way, right? I've searched online in other places with no luck. If anyone could lend me a hand here I'd appreciate it. Thanks :]

Replies

• Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I would set my time fram to 80 and just copy and ethe frames? would that work?
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    That's what I end up doing, but it becomes a problem when, in character studio, I have planted keys. If I have a walk that spans frames 0-40 and I copy 0-40 to 40-80, at any frame that has a planted key, that key wants to go back to where it was in the 0-40 frames. So if my foot is planted at freame 20, at frame 60 it wants to snap all the way back to where it was at frame 20. Same is true for any horizontal key really. Hope that makes sense.
    For now, what I've been doing is just dragging the keys that snap back to where they're suppose to be. But it's a bit tedious and doesn't look as smooth.
    I'm still learning Character Studio, but I was sure there was a way to save out your .bip and insert it at a certain frame relatively. I don't have the time right now to toy with it though, finals are kickin my ass, and this animation is due....in 3 hours. I'm just tweaking out the final bits now. Just wish I had more time these past weeks to really dig deep into this. I guess that's the problem with 5 core classes crammed into a 10 week quater though.
  • Husch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Husch polycounter lvl 18
    Did you already tried Biped Apps-> Mixer or Biped Apps-> Workbench? Search in the Reference for Animation Workbench and Motion Mixer.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Sup broseph, I have the same exact problem, and i always do it that brute force way u are talking about. Sux balls tho/'