Home General Discussion

help , new computer !

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Joao Sapiro sublime tool
hello polys ! i have asked a friend of my dad that has a computer business for companies etc, and i asked for a "shit kicking computer that would enable me to run 10o00000 programs at the same time and still be able to dance the chacha."

and here is the proposal , he says that i can opt for the even more powerfull processor for 300 euros.

it is in portuguese , but just the verbs etc, you guys like portuguese so in wont disapoint you laugh.gif

"Processador Intel Pentium D 3.4 Ghz 775 FSB 800 Mhz 2 x 2MB cache L2

Mem

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Honestly, the core 2 extreme is a waste of money. You can buy the E6600 or E6700 and overlock them to the Extreme's specs (air cooling is more than enough) and you'll save about $400-500 right there. I'm running an E6600 o/c'd to 2.95ghz (stock is 2.4ghz), and it's only around 40C. I'm running a GeForce 7950GX2 graphics card. It's about $580 or so, and it's more than enough for my needs.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    just invest in lots of ram. get a 64 bit machine so you can break the 4gig limit.

then you can run lots of programs, at once.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    he is getting a pentium D isnt he .. and if i am not mistaken the D's are 64bit, no ?

like vig said .. get a core 2 non-extreme .. the extreme is way overpriced ..

there is nothign wrong with ati, but you can go with a nvidia if you like ..

to be honest, if you want to save some money you needn't get the top of the range video card .. i would spend the saved money on extra ram.. a 7600gt should get you around just fine in next gen games ..
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to break the topic a little, but you could find this interesting as well.

Vassago, how is the GeForce 7950GX2? I'm thinking about buying one of those eventually, not now. Perhaps around winter.

How does the dual gpu work?
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    don't blow your savings... hehe in a few months quad core xeon CPUs will be out smile.gif

but if you're impatient ... vassago is right about the cpu, a 6600 or 6700 is all u need, hell you can OC a 6400 to almost the 6800's specs with just aircooling, so yeah, don't spent $1000 on a cpu. as for video cards... i guess the 7950 does look like the bang for the buck type deal, but then again i'm sure there's better shit coming out soon. I'm personally holding out till the quad core xeons come out and going to see if they're any good.

You don't need a 64 bit machine now because very few programs even have 64 bit support, and some hardware doesn't support the 64 bit os either, chances are you'll run into alot of issues if you go 64 bit now. also you're going to spend alot of money on 8 gigs of ram now, if you wait till 64 bit actually becomes mainstream and has better support (probably not gonna happen until a few months after vista) chances are by that time all that ram is going to be ALOT cheaper... i mean why waste alot of money on all this ram that you can't even use?

do NOT get a pentium D, the core 2's beat them with something retarted like 50-60% performance increase... so yeah.

I'd get nvidia over ati, less issues with 3d stuff, and if you want to spend some money on a vid card u probably want to make it last awhile so my guess is either the 7950 or the 7900, i have a 7800gtx and i know its going to last for quite time.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i am holding out too, mostly for DX10 hardware, i would hate to blow a load of cash right before the next generation of hardware debuts.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ok, so you guys advise me to hold on a little longer and then buy a even more shit kicking pc ?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    You can always wait for better more shiny stuff that is right around the corner confused.gif

If your old PC is still running fine, than it might be worth thinking about waiting a bit for DX10 and quad core, but usually the first generation gfx cards are less than stellar (and there arn't any games utilizing DX10 out there anyways), and quadcore cpus are still at least a half year away (and are probably going to be extremely expensive at first).
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ok, i asked to include nvidia cards and i have another doubt :

CPU):

Processador Intel Pentium D 3.4 Ghz 775 FSB 800 Mhz 2 x 2MB cache L2
    Mem
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know what you are trying to do with that PC, but the Core duo 2 extreme is absolute overkill (and has a bad value), get a normal E6600, that more than quick enough (and don't get that PentiumD... it sucks big time).

Same for the GFX card:
    http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=868&cid=2
    That is a sub $200 card that runs all games you throw at it with 4xAA at 1280x1024 around 60fps.
    With the money you save there you can probably buy a new GFX card in half a year that is better then those $500 you have right now.

Edit: make sure the mainboard you get is Quadcore ready... that way you can easily upgrade you PC to quadcore in a year or so.