Home Technical Talk

gfx pet peeves

CheapAlert
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
One of my biggest pet peeves of graphics is explosion or fire particles with the color WHITE painted on them, so they fade away with an ugly gray fade that doesn't look good no matter what. Same goes for unmixed yellows and reds (i'm looking at you Dark Messiah).

What's yours?

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    People calling a model "next gen" just because they normal mapped it.

Poser

Poor cellshading
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Untouched photos slapped onto 3D models, Tree leaf and foliage alpha mapped polygons UV'd badly, showing solid pixels on the edge of the poly where it's meant to be 'thin air'. Sloppy, stretched UV's, no attention paid to texel ratios, objects mapped with textures that aren't uniquely designed just for them and hence have no edge darkening or hi-lighting or anything else other than random noise.
    Bad shoulder rigging and weighting, bad facial animation, bad modeling, bad texturing, bad animation, inefficient UV mapping, inefficient anything. Honestly I could go on for hours.....
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    people reversing into parking spaces! well i guess this is gfx pet peves... so.... umm gfx artists reversing into parking places.. or video games where you reverse park into parking spaces
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    lens flares, bloom, shaders, lighting, fog, actually gfx as a whole is one of my pet peeves.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Untouched photos slapped onto 3D models, Tree leaf and foliage alpha mapped polygons UV'd badly, showing solid pixels on the edge of the poly where it's meant to be 'thin air'. Sloppy, stretched UV's, no attention paid to texel ratios, objects mapped with textures that aren't uniquely designed just for them and hence have no edge darkening or hi-lighting or anything else other than random noise.
    Bad shoulder rigging and weighting, bad facial animation, bad modeling, bad texturing, bad animation, inefficient UV mapping, inefficient anything. Honestly I could go on for hours.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this about sums it up pretty well =D
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    lowest common denominator character designs. hint... orcs and elves dont all have to look the same.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    any alphad object that doesnt have pure black at the edge of its uvs so a faint square is visible
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    stick in the ass walking animations :'(
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    1. Environment textures that are too low rez, and have jpeg artifacts in them. Get a decent camera and shoot stuff properly, or learn how to paint! Google images at 200 x 180 pixels cannot be stretched up into a 1024!

2. Nasty seams. That's just sloppiness.

3. Excessive lighting/shadowing in the diffuse textures, which does not correspond to the scene lighting. Characters walking around at night with bright shiny spots on their foreheads, buildings in open lots with shadows falling across them. Ugggghhhh....

Oh, I definitely agree with the sloppy UV stretching.
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    Inequal texture resolutions on environmental objects and characters (the crisp head with blurred body), The fact that although nex-gen offer many possiblities in shader networks I have to do hair with a 1bit alpha opacity mask for performance reasons, bad spec maps and specpower/gloss maps, bad lighting causing you to keep revising a character that would look fine if the were lit!

That felt nice. cool.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    any alphad object that doesnt have pure black at the edge of its uvs so a faint square is visible

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what i meant. You just explained it far better than me smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    People who don't animate clavicles.

Recognising a face from 3d.sk in a game.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Inequal texture resolutions on environmental objects and characters (the crisp head with blurred body),

[/ QUOTE ]

http://i.i.com.com/cnet.g2/images/2006/180/589766_20060630_screen006.jpg

smile.gif
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Poor lighting quality on environments, usually do to stencil shadows or real time depth maps, or vertex lighting, or various bad combinations of the above. Oh yeah, and characters that do not self shadow and their nostrils are lit from the inside out.

nosepeeve_01.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    smoke clouds on polygon planes that are clipped into the ground.

definitely agree about the nostril thing.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    smoke clouds on polygon planes that are clipped into the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, that's as annoying as large "glow" sprites on explosions on the ground clipping through. It's 2006 and there's still PLENTY of that happening. Can't they use depth testing?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    The glowing nostril thing is one of my biggest gfx peeves, yeah. I almost always just paint that area of the diffuse mega-dark.
    Random lumps that are supposed to pass for "cloth".
    Obvious usage of simple PS filters, such as emboss or plastic wrap **shudder**.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    crappy cloth especially around the armpit area making arms look like folded tubes. "Advent children" is a serious offender.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what i meant. You just explained it far better than me smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

aah I thought you meant on foliage where people do careless 1 bit alphas and pixels end up floating in mid air- I choose that then laugh.gif
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    People calling a model "next gen" just because they normal mapped it.

Poser

Poor cellshading

[/ QUOTE ]

YES actualy anything thats called "next gen" ... as soon as it exists its currgen !
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    battlefield 2 vehicles in general,
    and badly referenced 3d real life models, that looks like a hybrid between 2-3 versions of the real vehicle.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    hahaha. oh daz. the bond image was a funny post.

i...as well as many here i'm sure....can't stand the "burned victim" look due to excessive zbrush/mudbox strokes.

also, to be honest....a pet peeve of mine is when people think that since they have a copy of zbrush/mudbox, it'll make them a better artist. and similarly, when people try to bust out something jukes or k. scott does w/o even knowing how to model a low poly.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Hahah that would have been a funny post. Only it wasn't Bond. Our stuff always looked better than that smile.gif

It's reservoir Dogs Xbox:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/rese...eservoir%20dogs

dejawolf: what the hell is wrong with 'em? As videogames go they're very well crafted models. If you're gonna harp on about historical accuracy I'll just get bored and switch off though.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap, that's not a PHOTOSHOP FLARE FILTER i see in the first shot is it?
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    haha. oops...sorry daz. see what happens when you post w/o thinking folks? haha.
  • Black_Dog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Black_Dog polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

oh, that's as annoying as large "glow" sprites on explosions on the ground clipping through. It's 2006 and there's still PLENTY of that happening. Can't they use depth testing?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is depth testing. What you want is something like z-feather. That might be expensive, particle effects designed not to clip the ground may be a better choice.

My pet peeve - vegetation particles that rotate to face the player. Atrocious. Model the fucking things please! Valve, I mean you! I also hate alpha test with a passion, although that's not an easy problem to solve.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Publishers doing piss-poor renders of game assets, and boring as hell screenshots, then plastering them all over the web as "promotion".
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    People that animate arms and legs, but not the spine.
    BTW, bad lip sync is now known as the "Heavy Rain" effect.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Alphas. Why can`t I have multi layered alpha planes that work, plus intersecting planes too!? Answer: Lazy code/hardware bastards.
    P.S I`m also with fritz on beginners not learning to model properly these days. It`s an alarming trend.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    Well, i dont really see the problem. If your modelling sucks you probably wont get hired. Survival of the fittest no?

If i had to name one cept for those already mentioned i would say stereotypical content
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    lol poser. I didnt know people were still using that. I'd have to say I hate everything Daz mentioned plus over segmented meshes specifically on straight objects that dont need it in anyway.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    lol poser. I didnt know people were still using that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazingly, the name of the program also defines its users smile.gif
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    Seeing work worse than mine in a published videogame, and knowing someone got paid for it.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    people reversing into parking spaces! well i guess
    this is gfx pet peves... so.... umm gfx artists reversing into parking places.. or video games where you reverse park into parking spaces

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, not to go too far off topic, but why? I back into parking spaces all the time. I drive a large, 1988 Suburban (well... when I'm not riding my bike), and in some cases it's much easier for me to back into a spot so I don't have to back out of it (I have very poor visibility out the back doors, so if a small car is backing out of the spot behind me, I can't see them).

Unless you're talking about parallel parking, which I try to avoid at all costs since I have such a large vehicle. But still, you're supposed to reverse into a spot when you parallel park... it says so in the driver's handbook. Plus, haven't you seen that episode of Seinfeld?

[ QUOTE ]

Stranger: I didn't even know you were parking. You were just sitting there.
    George: If you didn't think I was parking, then why did you put it in head first?
    Stranger: That's how I park.
    George: You can't put it in head first!

[/ QUOTE ]
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well alpha sorting is a hard problem to solve really, not just a question of laziness from the programmers