Home General Discussion

Vista prices posted at Amazon

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
notman polycounter lvl 18
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/index.php?p=125&tag=nl.e589

I'm sorry, but I think these prices are rediculous. I know some argue about the support or how long you use an operating system, but if they ever want me to pay for it again, they'd better atleast go back to allowing me to install it on multiple machines. Not to mention, Aero would probably be the only reason I would want to upgrade (maybe), and it isn't even included in the lower package :/

Replies

• bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    4 fucking versions of the OS? Moronic.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    not force people to pay for something they dont need? rediculous!

and if I'm not mistaken, this is cheaper than windows has often cost in the past..

edit: err nvm I was looking at the wrong prices... yah... that's a bit much
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    this is madness blush.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    WTF are you people complaining about? That's a pretty damn good price for a OS. How much does apple charge for their little OS 'updates' anyways?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    That looks normal. Did you guys never realize/look up how expensive Windows is?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea... none of this was shocking. Seems pretty normal to me anyways...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    What are you guys talking about? XP home was $99 (vista is 199) XP Pro was $199 (vista is 299).

Thats a $100 increase in price for a operating system I have seen/used that really isnt all that different.

None of this four flavor crap. Unless ultimate is the server edition, these prices are fubar.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I could honestly give a shit less about the price. It's the 4 versions (with 12 other skus listed...) that is ridiculous.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but does'nt Apple charge per year? Also no one is holding a gun to your heads to upgrade.

Multiple machine installs is technically illegal. Though online activation has been relaxed a bit. You can change everything except the motherboard, and even that can be changed with a phone call to MS for manual activation. And Aero/Transparancy will only be enabled on the higher class versions.

Ultimate is not server edition by any means. Im an MSDN developer. Any other questions about it? You really dont need to buy ultimate. The only advantages I can see are built in IIS and terminal server license.

OXY, i'm curious what you think is'nt completly different? The interface is familiar, sure, but administration wise it's completely different.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but does'nt Apple charge per year?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, and there really isn't any kind of validation key or copy protection like windows, not that anyone here would install an OS without a valid license!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    My comparison was with the price to get it full featured for an average user with maybe some programming needs. I don't know what is included in each version, just that the basic version doesn't include Aero. For me, I needed the Pro version of XP for the IIS, but I don't know how that will translate into these other versions.

And no, I can't say I'm 'surprised', but I did expect something to entice me to buy it, and these prices don't do that.

As for the Apple comparisons, they may be more expensive, but then again, I don't use Apple, mainly because of the costs. I'm not sure what it proves to point out that Apple is more expensive. Linux is free/cheap and once XP is forced out, I will hopefully be able to completely transfer to Linux.
    The only thing keeping me from using Linux, is gaming. That's one of the other reasons, besides price, that I don't like Mac's. Hopefully with the PS3 coming out, using a linux based system, more games will emerge for Linux. That may just be wishful thinking though wink.gif

Oh, and no, no one is holding a gun to my head, but give a few years and MS will try to force Vista onto you. Just like they did with XP. They started introducing things into the market that wouldn't work on anything below XP. Like IE and Media player. Not that alternatives don't exist, but just as examples.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    This coming from people who don't flinch at $300 for a video card wink.gif
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Or, you could just go buy a new harddrive, and get the OS as OEM, which is usually substantially cheaper.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I'll probably be getting it through school for free. my program has a deal with microsoft to get software. all I have to do is justify it (easy to do) and i'll probably have my hands on the "ultimate" version.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    What are you guys talking about? XP home was $99 (vista is 199) XP Pro was $199 (vista is 299).

Thats a $100 increase in price for a operating system I have seen/used that really isnt all that different.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, you're completely wrong about the prices. They are the same exact prices. It was $99 for an upgrade, and $199 for a full license for home edition, and it was $199 for the XP pro upgrade (only from win2000), and $299 for the full license. And don't even try to tell me I'm wrong, I was installing these bad boys all over the place.

Second, you really should look into all the stuff Vista offers. I'm sure to anyone who uses the internet extensively the price seems outrageous, but that's only because we're used to finding a cheap or free version of everything on the internet. Is it really that outrageous to pay $99 dollar for an upgrade to a newer, more secure, nicer looking, and much more feature filled OS?

I'm not a Microsoft/Windows fanboy by any means, I just CAN'T STAND how people bash everything Vista/Microsoft related just because they see some loser with a small penis do the same thing on the internet.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    stop bitchin and come to the light side. tongue.gif

some even come in black if you want to keep feeling 'evil'

XD XD XD
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    WTF are you people complaining about? That's a pretty damn good price for a OS. How much does apple charge for their little OS 'updates' anyways?

[/ QUOTE ]

$129 per version. The little updates are free.

most people use Tiger now anyways. Leopard comes out soon and I guess I'll pay the $129 for it. What's the point of running yesterdays OS on any platform? smile.gif

Aside from the obvious "Vista is a poor mans OSX", I think Microsoft really should release an all in one operating system instead of watering it down into separate versions. And yes, we will see "Vista only" software cropping up very fast, so there's little chance that most will be able to avoid buying a copy.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Purely from a 'get as many people to use our software as possible', and with Apple making (tiny) inroads, and entire countries switching to Linux for all their government/education software, I'd have thought their would be a stripped down 'core' edition that was practically free.

I'd would just have a boot up, a file system, IE7, Windows Live Mail and Windows Live Writer.

Yes, they have spent millions developing it.

But most of this is moot for the individual. We are not the average home user, and most home users use what come son their PC. People will use XP until their computer breaks, then they will buy a new PC which will have Vista installed on it.
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    I think most of us in the Know, buy OEM anyways, which is sure to be about $100 cheaper.

Who pays retail for software?
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    Apple is no less evil than microsoft by virtue of obscurity.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Curse ye sonic. Your right!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...rp=15&iht=n

Ok then can someone tell me which of the 4 flavors is the 64 bit version?

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it really that outrageous to pay $99 dollar for an upgrade to a newer, more secure, nicer looking, and much more feature filled OS?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats even more bloated?

Now that could be argued all day and per your last paragraph... Umm.. thats your own baggage. wink.gif

Per my own rant at M$. Im still pissed for having to beta test XP initially. While they couldnt even turn what I paid into a coupon for the same amount of the final version. Thats just greed (and ignorance on my part M$ would have seen the benefit in doing such).
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Arent all of them 64bit?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it was funny when they started splitting their OS into two versions, but this is just crazy. What's even more helpful is their site makes it hard to tell which version does what. If you go by just the description MS offers you will have no idea what Ultimate does other than "let you have it all", I don't want to miss out on something so I better get the version that lets me "have it all"!!11 Whatever "it all" is.

They are doing that on purpose to goat people into buying the Ultimate version because they are scared they will miss something they might need.

With that said, I'll be buying it OEM like I always do the price is not a huge mark up from what I paid for XP pro. But I will wait until well after launch, I hate beta testing software after it officially launches.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    32bit Release candidate 1 was released last night, if anyone didn't know wink.gif. Going to install it this weekend, and see what its like. I'll let you know how it installs on my year and half old laptop. heh
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Windows Vista RC1 installed in about an hour with a fresh install on my laptop. It recommended me to install Vista Home Basic. The other options seemed more multimedia orientated and they required a 128mb video card. The only drivers that it could not find were the soundcards. Everything about Vista screams OSX. The searching from folder to folder is the same. The Dock is the same.

It seems to run everything ok. Theres a little problem with the video drivers on the lcd but im looking for a workaround. So far, it loads a little slower than XP with the 4500 rpm drvie I have inside. Definately worth checking out if you interested in seeing the new windows.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Everything about Vista screams OSX. The searching from folder to folder is the same. The Dock is the same.

You mean they expanded the quickstart bar functionality?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee: could you post a few screens?
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Per my own rant at M$. Im still pissed for having to beta test XP initially. While they couldnt even turn what I paid into a coupon for the same amount of the final version. Thats just greed (and ignorance on my part M$ would have seen the benefit in doing such).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait...you paid Microsoft to test XP? Then didn't get reacharound?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Is this now an open beta current licensed windows users can get our hands on, or only people already in the beta?
    What is the deal with compatability with 3ds? Photoshop? Zbrush? etc? Anybody?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Wait...you paid Microsoft to test XP? Then didn't get reacharound?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    scooby: it was an open beta that microsoft had on their site for a while, but now it's done and only MSDN subscribers can get a copy. If you're still looking for the beta 2 release, you can get it off any torrent site, or find someone who got the free DVD in the mail and make a copy.