Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some of my art

Hi all
I just joined here, so I thought I can start with showing some of my work.

All of this was done during free time. As you can tell I like the shooter/military theme a lot, so when I have a spare moment I get cranking.
Enjoy, and any comments are welcome.

theateryx9.jpg5sf1.jpggrozny1nv7.jpgakmrendgamety3.jpgkobra3a9lw.jpg
kobraa2lf2.jpg
m4a1asj5.jpgrpg702pa7.jpg

This was done over a weekend. Me and my friend decided to do a scene based on a few real places. In particular I liked how some of the urban areas in Iraq looked, and also the Grozny, Chechnya setting in the background.
Models and textures were done in 2 days.

pmooreimage1kf3.jpg
pmooreimage4mv3.jpg
pmooreimage8ca3.jpg

and some WIP.

SVD Dragunov Sniper Rifle

svd11ce8.jpg
svd16yc3.jpg
svd17zr0.jpg
svd18dm1.jpg

Replies

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. Some really great work there. Thanks for showing! My only crit is that the brass clip on the first AK isn't as realistic looking as everything else. overall this stuff is hot though.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some really nice/accurate modeling going on here.

Personally i would add some scratches and whatnot and perhaps dirty up the guns a little bit to fit more consistantly with your envirnment, but overall its really good.
  • RussianKaliber
    Hey thanks !

Oh the bakelite AKM mag. Not many people are aware that Russians made bakelite magazines for AKM and AK-74.
    Its made out of bakelite material, and is orange like that hehehe. It looks strange and unsua, but its actually in use by many warzones. Here are some real photos
    strelbi120159fg4.jpg
    strelbi120013nd1.jpg
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Ah cool! My bad
  • torncanvas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    torncanvas polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome stuff. I think the guns are great. No more scratches! :P
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not really a fan of gun models. But goddamn! This stuff is great!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Great work! I wish I had something insightful to add, but I'm just enjoying this.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, man, good stuff. The materials on the guns are top-notch, especially that gun (right after the first AK... Not sure what it's called).

The ONLY crit I have is a small one; That peeling paint texture in the first building is kind of weird looking. maybe it needs to be scaled down or something, but right now it just kind of looks 'slapped on'. Cant put my finger on it.

The lighting in the environments is really nice too.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Gorgeous, very amazing textures. I like your environment renders too. Welcome to polycount!

poop.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, absolutely fantastic stuff. My only minor niggle is that some of the black explosion marks on tbe buildings feel somewhat 'airbrushed' but heck, perhaps they look like that I don't know smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The weapons look great. I'm not a firearms expect so I can't comment on their structuring.

What engine are the destroyed city shots from? I'm asking because I've noticed a few areas where the pixel density is inconsistant - mainly the fallen debris versus the density of the road and wall textures.
  • RussianKaliber
    we are using our own little viewer, not even an engine.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ah right on. Russian, you should see a little blinking envelope at the top of Polycounts page. Give it a click wink.gif
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    very nice work, very Post-Apocalyptic looking (which is an instant victory right there).
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    Awesome stuff! I really like whre the shellacked wood on the butt stock is going. Spot on! I look forward to seeing more of your stuff
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Top notch work dude, welcome!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    wow!

most detailed game weapons I've ever seen. Locations looking awesome too
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Wow, some really amazing stuff here. Can I see a wireframe of the guns you have running in the viewer? I love the destroyed condos and all the art looks very photo real, nice job! Wait, is the gun comped into that shot, the aliasing looks different than the pillar?
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    some brilliant stuff, mate. seen some of your weapons on cgtalk a while ago. you should definitely hang around on this board though and not cgtalk smile.gif
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Wow. All this in 2 days? That's super
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    very very nice.. I love the M4 carbine and the scratchyness to it.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff. You've definitely got 'the touch' wink.gif Nothing seems overly done, which is good smile.gif
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    pizdetc, as i would say in my native tongue wink.gif
    those are awesome!
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    holy apeshitting jesus!
    its so beatiful i'm crying..
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    I definatly like your guns better than your buidlings (although the broken overhanging pieces in the Iraq scene looks sweet).

A better lightmap would relly help the first building. Every edge is too sharp, nothing looks like it belongs in the same object. Another thing is that none of the peeling paint on the thin extruded parts mathces up with the wall behind it. It would be nice to see it on a few of the pieces.

The destruction on the second building is cool, nice to see varying levels of damage. I first thought that the white tile material on the walls was the infamous artifact you get when you sharpen to much in photoshop. You can perhaps turn down the contrast a little bit.

The first Ak is your worst piece. The metal parts looks blurry and unfinished. Did you have a lower texture-resolution on this compared to the other weapons?

The second AK, however, is just a beautiful game model. Exellent metal and color-variation. You have a couple of obvious texture-seems (mainly on the back part of the weapon, just before the buttstock) and a couple of weird texelres differences (again, most on the back part of the weapon). I think that you could take a look at your polydistribution, mainly adding a few more segments to the frontsight and maybe losing a few on the smaller bolts.
    But again, overall, it's a very well made model and texture.
    Could we see a viewport grab (nonrendered)of it?

The M4 looks well made too. There are some texelsize differences and texture streching on the end off the buttstock where it meets the gun. There is also some streching on the dial below the scope. Good scratches, looks authentic.

The rocketlauncher looks good, not a fan of the color on the wood. I don't known if it's realistic, but it does looks a little washedout and lifeless.
    The metal ring below the scope (on the wood) could use a few more segments, I think it is the part that most clearly betrays its lowpoly orgin.

The Iraq scene are really good work for a weekend. I'm not sure what your goal was, but right now it feels more like a whrilwind hit the town rather than a shelling or a pithced infantry battle. Some blastmarks, damage to the ground and maybe a burntout military vehicle or two could help create a more warlike scene. That is, if that is your target.

The Dragunov has some fantastic wood (I really like red wood smile.gif and the metalparts are starting to look really solid.

Good work man smile.gif! I would really like to see some viewport grabs of the weapons and get some info about polycount and texturesizes.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work man, especially with the weapon textures
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work, good to see more environment pieces being pimped here lately.

You may keep in mind for the next piece that it can be helpful to add little 3d damage marks as well as large ones.

Most of your scenes consist of very flat angular walls broken up by very large dramatically broken walls.
    A good way to sell the scale to the viewer is to also have small 3d chips or weatheration around the edges or corners of walls and supports with signs of the blast damage making a 90 degree angled wall slightly 'off' its correct angle to communicate how the blast damage has a fall off area.

Sometimes, less is more in these situations and aside from communicating scale, it also implies there being more polygons and level of detail than there really is.

Great work.

r.
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    ooo.gif Holy macaroni ooo.gif you're good