Home General Discussion

New CryEngine vids from Siggraph

Replies

• KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    If Daz is using the bug eyes, it must be something really impressive.

[edit] not too shabby... they expect this to run on my hardware? Probably not frown.gif.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Every time they release a new vid, the quality is dropped a notch, just like UT2k7. gametrailers.com has a crysis multiplayer clip in HD and it looks almost exactly like farcry. Note the clouds in the day/night cycle vs the first trailer for the engine. Meh.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Every time they release a new vid, the quality is dropped a notch, just like UT2k7. gametrailers.com has a crysis multiplayer clip in HD and it looks almost exactly like farcry. Note the clouds in the day/night cycle vs the first trailer for the engine. Meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you wouldn't expect the multiplayer executable to be a cut down version of the single player version right?

doh.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I wonder when we're going to see a solution to the old particle planes clipping through geometry problem?
    edit: oh got to say it looks lovely though
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I wonder when we're going to see a solution to the old particle planes clipping through geometry problem?
    edit: oh got to say it looks lovely though

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what soft particles are, left is standard and right is soft particles.
  • rooster
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    how about a warning "these links are big files"
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Why doesn't the moon move???
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the moon doesn't orbit the Earth, silly.

[edit] oh wait, the moon does orbit the Earth, but it's just at a much, much slower rate than that which the Earth orbits the Sun.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw... This "uncanny vally" idea seems to apply to enviroments too.
    When looking at these crysis videos I keep thinking... wow great stuff, but yet so pale compared to the real thing frown.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hehe nevermind smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    how about a warning "these links are big files"

[/ QUOTE ]

Warning: these links are big files.

Howzat?
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Well yeah Daz I would expect nothing short of the quality in the real game. Considering the levels and objects are't being streamed to my system.

If you are going to argue about the number of players at once, there are some levels in crysis and farcry where ther ewere upwards of 16+ in single player.

Now.. if it's an issue with physics, such as synching the leaves movement, then sure it's understandable. But the tech still reduces quality in ever new iteration. Every game does it. Obvlivion lost object shadows, UT lost level complexity, etc.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the moon isn't chasing the sun around the world. laugh.gif

Nice looking river in that video. Realistic water brings more life to these environments. Great simulator those guys at Crytek are making.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well yeah Daz I would expect nothing short of the quality in the real game. Considering the levels and objects are't being streamed to my system.

If you are going to argue about the number of players at once, there are some levels in crysis and farcry where ther ewere upwards of 16+ in single player.

Now.. if it's an issue with physics, such as synching the leaves movement, then sure it's understandable. But the tech still reduces quality in ever new iteration. Every game does it. Obvlivion lost object shadows, UT lost level complexity, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by that you mean that your expectation is that the multiplayer player game will be visually indistinguishable from the singleplayer in terms of quality and graphical bells & whistles, then I think that's naiive. Every game that I've ever shipped that has a multiplayer component, has a different version of that client and assets than for the single player for a reason. Generally an extremely optimal framerate is of much more importance in a multiplayer game than singleplayer.

If you think this stuff is crappy all well and good, but I 100% disagree that newly released footage of CryEngine gets progressively worse. I've seen this thing running in 'the flesh' and aside from some performance issues, it looks exactly as it does in the above videos. i.e groundbreaking.

I recall at the time you had a strange obsession with the loss of shadows in the shipped version of Oblivion, and it seems to me that because of that alone you're somehow comparing this (arguably one of the If not *the* most cutting edge 3D engines out there) to a game that was made with the Gamebryo engine?! That's completely ridiculous sorry. I work with Gamebryo every day, so I'm fully aware of what its capable of. I've also seen some of the Oblivion Art assets, and they are hopelessly inefficent. Gazillions of polygons that are subpixel 99.9% of the time and extremely unoptimal UV layouts. I'm not remotely surprised that they had to cut shadows to gain performance. Their Art team is clueless.

Show me in explicit detail how the released single player footage of the cryEngine is getting progressively worse, and I'm all ears.

*edit* and for the record, no, I'm not saying there is no such phenomenon as developers having to reduce features and graphical finesse over the course of a games development. Of course there is (heck, I've been there reducing textures at the 11th hour to get everything into shitty PS2 memory) but I do not see it in this instance.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Disregard my stupid, please.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    wmv? cries

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Runs fine on my Linux box tongue.gif (e.g. there should be a workaround for Macs too, especially if you are on an intel mac (with a MS .dll), but the wmv codec was also recently made to work with pure opensource software)

Oh and it is already confirmed that Crysis itself will be PC only because all consoles of the current generation (including the PS3) are too slow to run it.
    Other games using the engine and lesser quality assets are supposed to come to the consoles though (as in Farcry Instincs I think).
  • saturnfive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saturnfive polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for posting these Daz. That river water flyover is fab: love the particles coming off the submerged rocks in the riverbed. Do they have some kind of depth fog under the water? it looks maybe slightly too dark. I think they ought to include a "stroll around and look at the scenery option" under the SP difficulty settings for this thing.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Somehow, the way this game looks, i'm not so sure it will run that well on 360. Then again, it could be within the 360's potential. Chaos theory is about the only game i've seen that pushed what seems to be the original xbox's boundary and still runs well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This game is a PC only release grin.gif Though they have not ruled out other plateforms in the future . They have also said you pretty much need the top of the line PC as of summer 2006 to run this game on the " Middle " settings . You need a DX 10 video card and windows vista to run it at " TOP " settings and of course those cards are not even out yet .
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Impressive as always!
  • jam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jam polycounter lvl 18
    Hawken, if needed... to play wmv in macs just download Windows Media Player 9 for macs:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=windowsmedia

Thanks for the videos Daz
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Daz for the links! Thats some damn tasty footage! This is one of those love/hate game engines thats so cutting edge and beautiful, yet foreboding considering it'll mean shelling out some big cash for Windows Vista and a new video card.... (I wonder how well it'll run on my Gefore 6800 ultra...)
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Oblivion art team clueless? oh now come on!

Those environments are beautiful and there's a lot of nice reuse of assets. Whilst individually the technical merits of each piece may not hold up, the scenes as a whole beautiful and consistent and thats the point with environment pieces.

Theres no way I would defend their character work but their environments prove they are not clueless, they may suggest that their coding team wasn't proactive enough with LOD tech but I think they did a great job in communicating a realistic and convincing world.... even if it was populated with drab mutants.

r.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I meant their *character* team! smile.gif I dont dispute that the game as a whole is not without artistic merit (the dungeons look particularly awesome), but the character work on the whole is pretty poor.
  • MBT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MBT
    Looks absolutely lovely. I can't wait for it.

BTW: The moon really should move. It moves around the Earth only once per month - it's close enough to stationary. But the Earth rotates completely once per day, so the moon should seem to move at around the same speed as the sun does :P It really broke the spell once I read JKMakowka's post.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    PR hype about it being too powerful for Xbox360 and the PS3, and at the same time saying that a top of the range current PC won't run it in high detail.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Looks absolutely lovely. I can't wait for it.

BTW: The moon really should move. It moves around the Earth only once per month - it's close enough to stationary. But the Earth rotates completely once per day, so the moon should seem to move at around the same speed as the sun does :P It really broke the spell once I read JKMakowka's post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once per month would be approximately 12 degrees per day. The cycle shown in the video is probably only about 12 hours, and the moon is only visible for about half the clip, which would mean the moon should move only about 3 degrees in that clip... that's nowhere near the same speed as the sun.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    nope, the slight degree change is the difference in the moon's position at the same time night to night. So at midnight tomorrow, the moon will be 12 degrees further than where it is at midnight tonight. It should still appear to rotate around us every day (even though it's us rotating, not the moon). Would you rather trust some incorrect internet logic over your own eyes? (or have you never bothered to look at the sky at night to see the moon rise)

edit: engine is looking great though... those soft particles especially. Finally getting rid of that horrible clipping effect.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Somehow, the way this game looks, i'm not so sure it will run that well on 360. Then again, it could be within the 360's potential. Chaos theory is about the only game i've seen that pushed what seems to be the original xbox's boundary and still runs well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This game is a PC only release grin.gif Though they have not ruled out other plateforms in the future . They have also said you pretty much need the top of the line PC as of summer 2006 to run this game on the " Middle " settings . You need a DX 10 video card and windows vista to run it at " TOP " settings and of course those cards are not even out yet .

[/ QUOTE ]Oh, shit.
    Guess I should get my facts straight. Never listen to the people on gamefaqs..ever.