Home General Discussion

The state of the games industry

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
I am doing an article on the stagnant state of the games industry these days and thought this may just be the best place to get comments and ideas.

By the look of things comercial games are becomming nothing more than tools for modders. I havn't bothered playing a game thru more than once since Jedi Knights 2

Feel free to go wild smile.gif

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    By the look of things commercial games are becoming nothing more than tools for modders.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it's the other way round actually. It's harder to mod a lot of games these days. Bundling editors with games (mainly PC games) is becoming fairly standard for a lot these days, but that doesn't mean they're "nothing more" than tools for modders.

I think you haven't really researched this at all yet.

Stagnant? Take a look at indie games coming out through Steam and XBox Live and other such platforms, there are more "risky" and original games being released as low-cost, quick thrill games, and also stuff like Team Fortress 2 is setting fun graphical styles in with traditional quality team FPS gameplay... I don't see that as stagnant at all.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to be the odd one out and say that I do not in any way feel that games are stagnant. And I'm sick of hearing about it. First, games are a business. As with any business they must deliver to the consumer a product that is wanted. I do not blame any big companies for doing this, because *gasp* they need to make money!

Second, how is it so stagnant? I do not see this at all. Yes, there are a lot of FPS's and GTA wanna-bes comming out. But that does not make it stagnant, because there is a fuck load of other games comming out too, that are new and exciting. (On a side note here, I would like to point out as a reason that the big companies don't always go for these new exciting games is that they often don't sell. See psychonauts).

Also, something to look at is the new things that microsoft is doing with xbox. They are pushing indy developers to put out new games for cheap with all of their new live stuff. That means that any new unique idea has a valid chance in the market. Again, completely non-stagnant.

The last thing that I'd like to mention is that part of the reason it might seem so stagnant to many people is that it is an evolving industry. And as with almost anything that evolves, the process isn't a fast thing. It takes time, and because of this it is hard to notice the changes easily. It's like looking at your best friend 10 years after you met him. You don't notice straight out that he's aged because you see him every day. Well, thats the same reason so many people don't see that the industry IS evolving and changing.

(That and the ever annoying nostalgia.)
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Seems like you've sorta made up your mind about the state of the industry without doing much research besides the games you've played for fun.

I agree with MoP.

Games are expanding in every direction. We've got the mainstream stuff getting more mainstream (madden, tekken, etc) and the "indy" games are growing as well (as MoP said, look at steam and live arcade, and the new XNA tools microsoft is releasing). Hobby modders and game designers are getting more tools and access to better engines, and we're seeing more new game ideas and designs every day. Sure, the big name stuff is somewhat "stagnant" (in terms of innovation, at least), but I think that's just a sign that gaming as a genre/medium is maturing. We now have a "mainstream" game genre, which seems to follow a similar pattern to the mainstream movies and tv shows.

Go do some research, and try to keep any of your current opinions out of mind if you want to get a truly accurate idea of where we are as an industry.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i think one reason that the industry appears stagnant is that with each of the generations there was a distinct graphical increase. for example NES->SNES->N64->GC
    now the graphical increases are more subtle and gradual, especially in the PC area. we arent getting these massive jumps in graphical presentation that we used to.

another.. we're all getting older. we are growing pickier by the day about what we like and dont like. when we were young we would play any piece of trash and have fun. we liked games that were similar to the ones we liked already. now we see the 'reality' of marketing and business.

a majority of us have been gaming our entire lives, 20+ years(in the 80s and 90s no less). after that amount of time anything is bound to grow old.

so in closing:
    <ul type="square">
    *tech is now strolling rather than sprinting along
    *we're all old farts
    *we're all cynical jaded bastards
    [/list]

tongue.gif
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff guys, keep it comming. I actually did a lot of research and found that my above comment produced the most comments lol. I agree to an extent, with nexgen game engines coming out with massive detail support and ever improving hardware, games are getting more and more visually impressive and the atmosphere in games has improved 100 fold in the last few years. One thing that has stagnated tho (with some exceptions) is origionality of storyline and gameplay (I am talking PC games here not console). There have been a few gems in the last few years but unfortuneately they spawned a huge amount of near clones. I know that the corprates are sticky about publishing new ideas and concepts and as was stated its understandable that they want to go the "proven" root. But aren't you getting tired of doom in 50 different variations?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    By the look of things comercial games are becomming nothing more than tools for modders. I havn't bothered playing a game thru more than once since Jedi Knights 2

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like you have an opinion on the quality of PC games and you're projecting that onto the entire industry.

You need to quantify what you mean by 'stagnant'. Sales are a little down this quarter, but it's a bit of a stretch to define a 12 billion, 150,000 employee industry (US alone) as stagnant. I assume you mean creatively?
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly, sorry I should have been clearer. The guys actually working on the different aspects of the games are definately not stagnating, only the overall effect. Models are becoming ever more realistic, worlds more believeable but forgive me if I am wrong but it seems that storylines and plots have not evolved to fully capitalise on the new tech and engines. Visual reality is getting old for a lot of us now, I would like to see more realistic storys being applied to games.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    OK, so you're basically asking why the PC market is saturated with first person shooters?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    You just gotta get out and play more games in my opinion Xaltar. Have you played Psychonauts? Prey (which I felt was a very interesting shooter)? The PoP series? Less popular stuff like Second Life?

There's tonnes more, you just need to be paying a close eye on the games comming out.

One artical you might like to read on this though is Peter Molyneux's keynote from GCDC this year. He talks about how we are stuck by old standards for combat stuff.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6156154.html?q=this%20is%20not%20fable%202
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Sales are a little down this quarter, but it's a bit of a stretch to define a 12 billion, 150,000 employee industry (US alone) as stagnant.

If it's not growing it's stagnant. You know how easily shareholders get pissed off.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    For me, stories and plots are for movies.

Multiplayer is where its at. Many PC games are built around multiplayer. Sports games are about having your buddies over and doing tournaments. Same for racing games. X-Box live is giving console gamers even greater multiplayer options.

The holy grail of hyper-realism is coming close to reality. Once it has been reached, I think that style will become more important than realism. Take a look at Team Fortress 2. More people are buzzing about the look of that game than any of the other shooters that all seem to be going for hyper-realism. You want to make your games look convincing graphically, but not necessarily real.

With advances in physics, processor speeds, graphics cards, etc., new types of gameplay are beginning to evolve. Things like portals, gravity, interactive objects, etc., will open up all kinds of creative options for gameplayers. Puzzles are becoming much more interesting. Problems can be much more creatively solved.

It's only getting better in my opinion.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    I agree that style will become more important as realism becomes standard issue, the same way that photography jump started the modern art movement.

I totally disagree with this idea thats being thrown around that games are about mechanics and movies are about stories. thats total BS.
    Nothing is that black and white and neither are games. The core of games are the immersion that comes with interaction, but then what is the point of immersion if there is nothing to emerse yourself in? Even if youre playing counterstrike...youre still "sneaking around corners" and "infiltrating the enemy base" and though it may be pretty stripped down, there is still a theme present there.

If you boiled WoW down, for example, and stripped away all the graphics, noone would play it. The immersive aspect plays a major role in the gameplay, since you have a player with a psychology behind the keyboard. how you relate to and identify with your character can make or break a game.

Its easy to overlook the importance of setting/story just because you cant quantify it in the same way as the game mechanics.

The problem comes in how people are trying to implement it, since the idea of plot comes from a linear medium. Interactive media needs a different approach to story telling, but to just dismiss it alltogether would be a big mistake, imho
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...it seems that storylines and plots have not evolved to fully capitalise on the new tech and engines. Visual reality is getting old for a lot of us now, I would like to see more realistic storys being applied to games.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does technology have anything to do with the quality of a game's backstory?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...it seems that storylines and plots have not evolved to fully capitalise on the new tech and engines. Visual reality is getting old for a lot of us now, I would like to see more realistic storys being applied to games.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Slaps forehead. Verm! "Yes" is rarely an answer to a question that begins with "How."

And does the game buying public really want "realistic storys". Zuma on the XBox Live Arcade is currently one of my favorite games. It needs no story to be entertaining and challenging. The stories in the Final Fantasy series appeal to some folks and are a part of what drives the series sales, but I wouldn't call them realistic. For games like shooters, complex stories can get in the way, slowing down the action for no real reason.

Are stories really even fun to play. A game that depends on heavily on story to entertain me essentially gets one play through ... if I even complete it. After that, I've 'been there, done that' with it.

I've got a pretty long perspective on the industry ... having worked on 8 bit console gamess in the early 80s ... and I'm still excited about the possibilities and opportunities for new entertainment that are yet to come.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Tech is booming, ideas are dying, and stories are not fun.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

And does the game buying public really want "realistic storys".

[/ QUOTE ]

Which market? The established 18-34 year old male demographic, or god forbid expanding into new ones?

Im in this guys corner..
    http://gamasutra.com/features/20060807/adams_01.shtml
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Feel free to go wild smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I would say that your article is about 2-3 years too late tongue.gif

I honestly do not recall playing through any game more than once. There almost has always been too many games out there to play to bother with playing "through" the same game more than one time.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    The simple fact is that there isn't really a problem with putting a story in a video game. When people go see a crappy movie they don't go "See! See! I told you you can't make a story in a movie work!". Sometimes the problem is just a shitty story.

That said obviously games don't need any story, but I don't think it's fair to games to say they can't tell a story at all. Obviously they can.

On topic: Yes and no. The games out right now are stale, but that is always the case when a console launches. People go with what they know. Game are being developed that are going to break the mold and be totally awesome. A lot of games are on the horizon, and that then all the ones in the growing indie game scene.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The games industry is like many other entertainment industries, there's a "mainstream" and then there's games pushing the bounds and changing conventions. When there's a hit, others try to capitalize off that. Like with WW2 shooters, like with the original Matrix, like with Britney Spears. Do clones mean things are getting stagnant? No, it just means there's more people and some want to go the safe route and give the consumer what they know the consumer wants, rather than what the consumer MIGHT want. Garaunteed, you will find at least a few game companies pushing the bounds in terms of certain aspects, any of those aspects you listed, including storyline.

That leaves the write up you want to do as a generalization, with many examples against it. So hopefully it's just an informative essay, rather than a persuasive essay as it seems to be...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    which brings us to the point that I always like to bring up.

SOMEONE PLEASE FUND METRONOME!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Perhaps you might benifit from playing through a few games before dismissing one of the most exciting times in gaming history.

Due to carpal tunnel, repetitive strain injury, tendonitis and arthritis the condition of my hands was such, that for about 4 or 5 years I could not really play games.

I was given a good anti inflammatory medicine at the start of the year that helps my arthritis heal more quickly and since then I've been playing games again, a lot.

I'm the happiest I've been in years, there are so many rich and varied games out there to choose from that it is simply impossible for me to find the time required to do more than a handful justice.

Each time somone bangs on the stagnation of the industry drum, I dismiss those people as masquerading under the weight of the image of the hardcore player, constrained and limited to one genre for so long that they are unable to see the wood for the trees.

Give yourself a shake, try some more varied games and genres, there are some brilliant examples in every genre.

r.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Games have evolved with available tech but the storys, although somewhat evolved, have been left behind to an extent.

Guys, please lay off the insults and insinuations that I have not played many games and don't know what I am talking about. As I said, my comments were engineered to create debate and in no way mirror my own personal feelings, I personally couldn't give a rats ass about FPS games but the readers of my essay (informative btw wink.gif ) do like FPS games so I am catering for the readers. I am an RPG fan and when I do play FPS games I like them to be mindless and bloody but for Gods sake, if you are going to include a story try not to make it so cliche.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    im sure someones said it already, but it sounds like your playing too many PC games,

buy a DS and see how stagnent that market is, both creativly, and moolah wise. the maket shifts from time to time, sometimes consoles lead the way sometimes PCs and sometimes handhelds, if you looks at a certain sector of the market and make a judgemnet from that.... it aint good.

and we have Wii around the corner.... thats coming from born again fanboy =D
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i think 'stagnant' would have been more appropriate a year or year and a half ago but recently there seems to be more experimental type games with the DS and the Wii coming up. i mean one of the most popular games of the last year or so is Guitar Hero.

as for story some have it some don't. i prefer a good story in a game. but some games need a story more than others. or you could pull an iD and claim to hire a novelist to work on your game (Doom3) and end up with very little to show for it. tongue.gif
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    I actually agree that the newest titles are garbage, save Prey or Titan Quest.

I don't think it's a lack of story, I think it's the complete lack of any emotion in the games. Every PC game is set in a boring realistic world, with boring realistic lowest common denominator models and representations of classical monsters and heros. The emotion and character are completely missing. The settings are non-fantastical, and dull. Multiplayer is only fun with close friends, as it's a baby-sitting job on any public server.

So I think people are afraid to express themselves, since this like any business is based on financial gain. So, target the common area and forget to wow us with uniqueness. Also we are limiting ourselves with input methods, but it's improving.

My major gripe is the total lack of reward. Take Quake 4's ending for example. 4 seconds of horrible non closing crap. And you get nothing but an extra difficulty level. Why not reward with player models, behind the scenes video, a link to submit your score/shots fired/time taken etc online. Most PC game endings... utter shite, that is if they even have endings,or ones that make sense, such as Oblivion. Don't get me started on that game...
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its not a lack of story, its not a lack of emotion, its a lack of FUN and gameplay IMO
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    I always kind of chuckle when I see commentaries like these, and hear people complai....er discuss how this is such a bad industry now and all games suck and are un-original and not fun. I'd rather see people actually try to -do- something about it rather than sit back and 'comment' on it. It's kinda like if my house had a hole in the roof and i sit around the living room complaining about getting wet because of the hole in my roof instead of getting off my butt and fixing the damn thing. I like to see people try to make a difference rather than tell us how much we should hate this industry because there's nothing original or fun.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your saying that in a forum where most of the peeps either work in the industry or are trying too??

im certainly trying to bring about games that i want to see.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah the thing is, It's the people who I work with usually or who do work in the industry who are complaining and not doing anything about it, and it's like they have the tools and the skills to make something interesting instead of following someone elses lead.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now its getting juicy. I fully agree with you on that point. I am working on a TC mod for an old game for that exact reason. I liked the origional game back in 2000 and have played it off and on in multiplayer ever since. I have spent the better part of a year learning the mod tools for it and now I am learning model creation and texturing so I can make my mod something special. The goal is to make a game that people can finish and think WOW, that was cool, lets have at it again and then be surprised when they get a different ending because of some dialogue differences.

No one does this anymore and when they do its half arsed. The stagnation of the games industry has been a topic of disscussion for the better part of ten years, we are never happy with it and the few good games that come out are few and far between. Still to be fair, no movie is intended to be bad but how many are? Its the same with games and the consumer base plays a large part in a games success or failure. Often it can be as simple as people were in the wrong mood and did not apreciate a great game or were in the right mood and loved a bad one. At the end of the day even the best made games have faults if you look. Its not hard to say "this game is bugged to hell, I hate [game studio X] and hope they go under." even though it may even be less problematic than your favorite game.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Small side note. There is a book titled 'creating emotion in games.'

It has helped me see what sets apart titles that stick with you for ages vs. the throw away garbage.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1592730078/104-6899160-0059151?v=glance&n=283155

Geared towards the designer or writer.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I don't see how the industry is getting worse on stories. The original Pong, Pac-Man, Doom and Wolfenstein weren't to write home about either (in story and emotional terms). Though I'll admit that there's still too little focus on the narrative for my liking, very good storydriven games pop up once in a while (Deus Ex, Vampire Bloodlines... I need to play more, those are all I can think of. There's bound to be more to fill in).

Has anyone followed Command and Conquer 3? The story is an exact copy-paste of its predecessor, Tiberian Sun, and the units too are largely taken from C&C/TS. Cheap.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I think one reason for the apparent decline in sotry-driven games is the virtual disappearance of the adventure genre. Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Space Quest, Grim Fandango, etc. Those were the days.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    fahrenheit was a pretty damn good adventure story I thought (except for the ending, they really wussed out there imho)
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I feel that there is TOO MUCH story in todays games. They are so often cliched, and don't add much to the gameplay anyways. So do away with it. Not all games need stories. Does Spore need a story? Does Katamari Damarcy? Guitar Hero? What about Shadow of the Colossus? As a matter of fact - I would put Ico and Shadow of the Colossus up as nominees for best storylines in a game ever. And you would be hard pressed to find them in there. It's what they don't say and force over the players head that makes it better.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, I never said storys have gotten worse, only that they havent gotten much better and they have sucked (with some exceptions obviously) for a long time if not always.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    planescape torment had an amazing story. Half-lifes story is cool. Hardwars story was cool. Elite force, System shock, most(all?) lucasarts adventures, giants, jedi knight1/2, morrowind/oblivion(maybe), I don't know what you are expecting exactly?

edit: fallout, max payne(story was cliche but it was great fun to be involved in a film noire tale)

besides all of this, games are not about stories they are about experiences.. your experience and actions are the story. That time you pulled the trigger and at the exact same time the last baddie fell- all you hear clicks, and that was your last round in his skull.. hell yeah!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is going nowhere, this is not a discussion about game storys its about whats wrong with games today and how can they be improved. Thanks for all your views guys, keep em comming wink.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...it seems that storylines and plots have not evolved to fully capitalise on the new tech and engines.
    Games have evolved with available tech but the storys, although somewhat evolved, have been left behind to an extent.

[/ QUOTE ]

you clearly indicated game stories as something that is wrong with games today did you not?
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, a point that has been sufficiently covered. I agree with you, there have been some games with decent storys. I like the direction you took with experiences, a good point. Even if a story is weak or cliche a game can still be good if it has the right atmosphere and provides a good gaming experience. But I think most of those games only work once and sequals are never really as good as the first whereas strong storys combined with good experience make for good sequals usually. What else makes for a good gaming experience? Gameplay, graphics, atmosphere, story, all these things or even just a few can make a good game so why do the games made in the last few years (mostly) lack the replay factor?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    firstly I don't see whats so all-important about replay factor to begin with.. 35 quid for 10+ hours of high quality entertainment sounds like a good deal to me, and jeez I spent about 120 hours in oblivion.

secondly, what are you talking about? can you cite specific examples that back up your claims, because I don't understand your conclusions..

third, "my comments were engineered to create debate and in no way mirror my own personal feelings"
    lame

edit: maybe I'm being a bit harsh but you can't get the internet to write your essay, you need research and proof to back up your points otherwise its nothing more than a vague opinion- and not even yours!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    third, "my comments were engineered to create debate and in no way mirror my own personal feelings"
    lame

[/ QUOTE ]

quoted for truth
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    damn! he's good.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Xaltar your argument and opinion appears not have made it's mind up, but please if that's the case, stop making statements!

I'm looking forward to many pc and console titles, stagnation might just be in the eye of the beholder
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    well Im doing my part cause my wife and daugter think all the games I make Kick Ass!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. It looks like this thread has reached a dead end. This IS my research, to find out what other people think of the games industry at the moment and the best way I could think of to get opinions was to be a total ass. This thread has served its purpouse well laugh.gif Don't worry I don't take offence when I know it was deserved wink.gif Sorry if I pissed anyone off. My article is for a tech site I have been a member of for quite a while and its just an interest piece. Truth to tell I love games and I am as excited as most of you about upcoming releases and I have just finished playing through Quake 4 which I think was a great addition to the quake series. I won't be using names or anything in the article.

Man, being a stubborn dick always gets people talking smile.gif
    Thanks again for your views guys. I will post a link to the article when I am done.

Now to go do all this again on a few other forums....
  • Leech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leech polycounter lvl 18
    First clue you weren't an actual journalist but a troll - using a message board as research.
    Second clue - Poorly written post after poorly written post presented with the tact of a 13 year old,LOL!
    Third clue - You think Quake 4 is a great game.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enough with the flaming already. Get over it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Locked.

I don't appreciate people being total asses, whatever the reason.
This discussion has been closed.