Home General Discussion

Hadn't heard this side of the story...

polycounter lvl 17

Replies

• KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    That's quite a sad clip. And I'm sorry, but if you agree to appear on a national news show, being upset about how that footage is later used in a documentary doesn't get much sympathy from me. Using news footage in a documentary is a perfectly ethical thing to do; I don't see how it demonstrates how Moore hates America.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Sort of like the "Love it or leave it" philosophy, which goes against America's first and most basic ideology.

"Love it or change it" is more accurate IMO.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    That's quite a sad clip. And I'm sorry, but if you agree to appear on a national news show, being upset about how that footage is later used in a documentary doesn't get much sympathy from me. Using news footage in a documentary is a perfectly ethical thing to do; I don't see how it demonstrates how Moore hates America.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, like the rest of his film, he basically puts selected snippets of text in an order that imbues them with his message, rather than the message that the original speaker wanted to convey. It's basically a well crafted deception, even though all of his content is real.

He took an honest interview with a soldier and used it in an appropriate place to support a message that the soldier isn't trying to convey at all.

But yeah, either way, it's news footage, and he can use it if he pays the right people for the rights. The soldier has a right ot be angry, but not much else, seeing as the scene cannot be seen as slander.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as I can tell, the soldier is explaining how his limbs got blown off and describing the phantom pains in the news clip. I don't see how Moore misconstrued that message.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Moore's love or hate for America is not my call. But this soldier is fully justified in presenting his story in a light by which it should be. If doing so makes Moore appear manipulative or the worst kind of nasty, then maybe there is something to that. Moore was not misconstruing the soldier's message, but he was using the footage (encased with his own message centered around America's government leaving these soldiers behind) as a means to drive a wedge between the public and the current administration. It wasnt what the soldier said or did, but how his life was being associated with Moore's agenda. Regardless, the soldier's story, determination, and belief in his military duty is very inspiring and I appreciate his willingness to show us another side of that story.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    People kill people and very few countries need much of an excuse. Soldiers KNOW they are risking their lives. I have not heard of any drafting going on for this war so, as far as I am concerned I agree with the guy in the clip. He fought for what he believes in. If he is a moron and believes in a lie thats his choice and if what he believes is actually worth fighting for then more power to him.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    This just in: Lies are worth fighting for!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Old news. It's beyond easy to see that Michael Moore twists the use of media.

Keyser - you don't see how he mis-used this? He puts in a clip of war-torn soldiers DIRECTLY after a congressman's statement that we're "leaving men behind out there". It's a brutal media twist, and a damn sick way to sway the public's opinion.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's a brutal media twist, and a damn sick way to sway the public's opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

No sicker than what the present administaration and FOX has done to do the same ...

OMG! People are using "information" to sway the public's opinion?!??!!? That is shocking!!!! *faints*

Sorry, but if this guy's life is better off now with both arms blown off than it was before, his life was not really worth much before in the first place. There are plenty of soldiers who want to believe that their cause is "noble." Believing it does not make it any more noble.

BTW - Still a vet, and still a patriot despite what Ann Coulter and her crowd may think tongue.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    astro, its whether his life is better, but whether other people's lives are better for it.

and yea, both sides twist everything however they want. moore however is just one of the most blatant offenders from either side.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    This isn't surprising in the least, Michael Moore distorts things to echo his points just like those he accuses of distorting the truth for us. Even the people he's directly interviewing get cut up into little clips that only emphasize his points.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh honestly, Astro. Do you think CNN is any better? All of the soldiers I've spoke with over there call it the Communist News Network. All the media does is focus on the bad crap, and make it seem as thought it's the end of the world. That couldn't be further from the truth.

If you want an accurate view of the war, ask soldiers. And not some whiny momma boys. Ask some real men. Stay away from politicaly biased crap like CNN, Fox, etc etc.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I get all my news from the Daily Show, suckers!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    All the media does is focus on the bad crap, and make it seem as thought it's the end of the world. That couldn't be further from the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about when the media do have to actually report the end of the world?!

I get all my news from a bloke down the pub!
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Stop using facts in your arguments, it's getting in the way of the truth. If you want the truth you only need to look it up in your gut. The gut has the most nerve endings in your whole body.

Now you might say that isn't true but that's because you looked up the facts and not your gut.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I get all my news from a bloke down the pub!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah! haha
    I'd take the word of a fellow bar-goer than that of a news anchor, any day smile.gif
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Stop using facts in your arguments, it's getting in the way of the truth. If you want the truth you only need to look it up in your gut. The gut has the most nerve endings in your whole body.

Now you might say that isn't true but that's because you looked up the facts and not your gut.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, awesome
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Colbert is the man laugh.gif. Truthiness ftw.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    this is par for the course as far as documentaries go.. Youd be forgiven for assuming the word documentary is synonymous with impartial communicating of facts, but they are always geared towards one point of view, and edited as such. An impartial documentary is boring.