Home General Discussion

Review for Fountain though its months out??

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
This is really weird. How can this guy have such a detailed review up and even a rating for a movie not out for a few months. Does he have a inside lead and has seen the final? I know the graphic novel has been out, but he is drawing a great amount of information based on how the film itself translates.

Is this a normal practice? Can someone explain how this works?

http://www.scifimoviepage.com/fountain.html

Replies

• hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    obviously

but man, the trailer on quicktime is like watching the whole thing anyway
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    This works so that you go to a private screening and dont sign NDA.
    Usually the movie is cut and ready months before the effects are done, so you essentially have the final version minus CG stuff.
    Or the movie is held back to wait for better launch time.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    They've been working on this film for ages. It's one of those that just gets delayed and delayed.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    sometimes a film is test screened for demographic/marketing purposes too.. like them saying "ok, who liked this film, what should be try and pitch it as".

I got to see american beauty a few months before it was released...At the time I'd never even heard of the film but I filled out a questionaire somewhere and got mailed free tickets. The cut I saw, if I rememember, was identical to the theatrically released one.

Maybe they were sitting on it so they could revamp their marketing campaign, or maybe just bring it closer to the oscar/award season too...either way, it worked out for that film either way.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I saw Happy Gilmore the same way Joe. There was a actually a couple of cuts made to the final verson. There's a few theaters out here in LA that you can get free tickets like that every week. I got offered to see North Country, 40 Year Old Virgin, and a few other flicks that still haven't come out when I lived in Northridge.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    They emailed me back and told me that they saw a private screening for reviewers... So I guess its is finished, and just being sat upon by the release company until November.