Home General Discussion

New Art!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
Just purchased from the studio across the street that we never knew existed.
214005554_9e1e37a5b8_m.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickstirling/214005554/

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Now did you take that photo in bad lighting conditions, or did you just buy some aluminium foil stretched over a canvas frame?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Bit of both...

It's really a texture painting, lighthouses scratched into layers of white painted paper.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i hope you didnt spend much on it :P
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I dig it, and it is important to help support our more conceptual artist brothers.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I dig it, and it is important to help support our more conceptual artist brothers.

[/ QUOTE ]

most of them hate you. :\ the conceptual fine artists i know hate commercial art. but they're dumb.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they need support. Seeing how some can sell several cans of shit for over 28k.

My tastes in conceptual art really vary. Some can be good, while others can be rather ridiculous.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    What I mean is that conceptual fine artists who aren't assholes and are good at what they do need support. Of course, poser assholes who sell their act to stuck-up snobs should be snubbed or ridiculed.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    lol, at first, i thought i was looking at the pimping thread, and was i wtf is this shit

haha yea well.. concept-art is where "in the eyes of the beholder" is most creditable

only say it sucks if it really sucks

and in this case - like in most cases - it sucks lol im kidding.
    very nice hmm yes very nice,.,.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    most[/i] of them hate you. :\ the conceptual fine artists i know hate commercial art. but they're dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having that attitude doesnt help to bridge any gaps killing. Being stuck between worlds, I see it from both sides.

Cant tell much from the photo Rick. Im sure it has more presence in reality.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    When I first looked I thought you had bought a blank canvas to make your own painting, then I realized you bought a blank canvas as a show piece.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Maybe try photographing it with a different lighting setup Rick. From what you describe it might benefit from being side-lit to show the depth of texture across the surface - get some depth shadows in there.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    i c 3 baby bottles
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    can someone tell me what "conceptual art" is supposed to mean?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Ahhh, I get it. It's a modern version of those 'colorize the pictures' books for grown-ups right? laugh.gif

Seriously the photo probably does a really bad job of representing the picture.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    can someone tell me what "conceptual art" is supposed to mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

It means that its not a traditional art.
    Usually i think it requiers more pshycology, public realtions and business skills than good art skills.
    Also its a valid carreer path for lazy traditional artist who has made a name and now can sell shit, literally.

There are good conceptual artists too but for me it seems most are hacks.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Still...they looks nice decorating a home.half of my mother painting are conceptual/fauvism/modernism mix .i hate but i got to admit it gives the rooms more joy...
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Having that attitude doesnt help to bridge any gaps killing. Being stuck between worlds, I see it from both sides.

[/ QUOTE ]

here's the thing. i'm speaking in regards to numerous arguments from my 'conceptual artist' friends. i could careless if they validate video game art, or graphic design work, or movies, whatever. i'm not going to stop doing my thing because they think it sucks. the friends i'm speaking about are good friends. i went to school and hung out with a lot of them throughout the years. they just differ in taste.

i validate their art as such, i mean, i think a lot of it is cool. i'll defend it as being legitimate artwork but, in my experience, they wouldn't for my field. the bridge is there, just they won't cross it. i really have no front at all. they say my work is corporate and i do it for money and all this. i disagree, but that's their opinion so that's cool. they can make a sculpture out of video game boxes masturbating surge, have someone offer them a million dollars for it and turn around and give it to them for free for all i care.

they simply dislike what my work 'represents'. they just don't validate game art has value. i see game art contributes to a product aimed to entertain and /or make people happy. these guys find value in art "that make people think". and not like puzzle games do, but content that represents intelligent ideas that make you question deep emotional shit. it just happens that the medium they use is raw and doesn't require much traditional art skill. that's also cool, i don't give a crap. i like that they create beautiful things. i don't understand why they don't dig on video game art, it's just not their bag.

i honestly believe they just couldn't be cool with game art because it would be contradictory to what they're all about.