Home General Discussion

Have you ever bought anything off an infomercial?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ebagg polycounter lvl 17
You know those half hour commercials about some random product they try and convince you that you absolutely MUST have, and "slash" the price in order to make it all the more tempting?

What did you get? Did you get much use out of it or is gathering dust somewhere? Was there some underhanded hook that charged you something extra?

Replies

• milla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    milla polycounter lvl 18
    Amazingly, because I'm a hardcore informercial hater, I've got a couple of products I found via informercials.

I bought the Winsor Pilates DVDs (I have them all now), though I got them from eBay and a similar site here in NZ, rather than from Guthy Renker, as I wanted to get DVDs GR don't market in NZ. They've revolutionised my life, fitness, and approach to health.

I've also bought The Bean, an inflatable workout thingie - hard to describe, so here's a link:

http://www.butthatsnotall.co.nz/store/agora.cgi?p_id=00078&xm=on&ppinc=search2

It's bloody miraculous, especially for those with musculoskeletal/joint issues, like me. It takes exercises that are painful and dangerous for those with unstable joints, and makes them safe and comfortable. Excellent R&D at work. I love my bean, and have used it conjunction with some small free weights regularly for the year and a half since I got it.

These two informercial products have made my life much easier, and healthier.

That said, I reckon most of the stuff they sell on those shows are complete crap smile.gif

Edit: oh, and no hidden costs.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    My friend bought the Magic Bullet blender-thingy. It does its job, but what they dont tell you in the infomercial is how damn loud the thing is! Easily twice as loud and obnoxious as the regular blender.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    So I just got the Gunnar Peterson Core Secrets starter package for $10 +S&H. It's workouts with a inflated workout ball for those not familiar. I gotta say I like it, I did the workouts with the ball and free weights, and despite working out regulary, it really pushed me and got some muscles I was missing, my hamstrings are feeling it really hard in particular. Now the trick is to keep at it.

The hook? Once you order they send you a new video once every few months for $20 each, so I canceled that immediately after ordering.

Did I mention the workouts have Brooke Burke? RAWR! laugh.gif
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    I have never bought anything myself actually but I have used a lot of things other people have bought off of infomercials.

Ive used :

A Bowflex
    The George Foreman Grill
    Girls Gone wild DVD's
    Natural Cures Book
    Sharper Image air filter
    A tooth whitner
    Singer Lazer Storm Vacuum

Personally unlike Telemarketers or Spammers I think Infomercials generally sell useful products if that happens to be something you need .Ive been tempted more then a few times to buy infomercial produts but usually antyhing I need can either be found at Walmart or Best Buy
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, infomercials. The dubbing on those is so horrible... Just as bad as the Wal-Mart ads. Hint to advertisers: Your audience might not feel like they matter to you if you give them badly translated ads that were originally aired in the US.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh, infomercials. The dubbing on those is so horrible... Just as bad as the Wal-Mart ads. Hint to advertisers: Your audience might not feel like they matter to you if you give them badly translated ads that were originally aired in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i shouldnt complain about bad english dubbing in anime if you get badly dubbed walmart ads

(as a former *mart employee, i'm sorry)
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    We get badly dubbed anime as well but these ads are at least twice as bad.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Holy shit yes! I bought the Miracle Chopper tm, you know the guy on tv Chef Tony, it came with a miracle blade and some other junk. It is a fucking scam! The miracle blade was dull as shit and it came in a protective package which said careful extremely sharp how ironic. The food processor was terrible as well I tried to make salsa in it everything pureed at the bottom and was unchopped up top. Piece of fucking shit lies, biggest rip off. I returned it for the money back guarantee over the phone and it was a hassle, they make it hard to return and I think I had to pay postage to send it back.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    "just the right size to step up to couches and beds" ... as someone who had to train a wayward dog back into polite society, that's truly fucked up