Home General Discussion

The Halo movie thread

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Luxury polycounter lvl 18
Ok. This is a first for me since I am really not a fanboy in any regards to any franchise. I liked the VG Halo enough, but that's about it.

But now with all of this babble about the movie and 'Peter Jackson' and 'Neill Blomkamp' and whatnot, and seeing how there wasn't a thread here already, I figured I'd start one up. And here is why:

After hearing that they hired this new director (Blomkamp), I instantly became very interested in the film. I wasn't terribly before. Most people think that this is terrible news to have a FX artist in his directorial debut to take on such a big franchise. I think it's awesome news. And if you've seen his short films ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Zep9TlaPSo ), I hope that you would understand why. The reasoning is because of this: Halo 2 partially takes place in Africa. This director is from South Africa. If the film is to take place in Africa at all (and even the Halo 3 trailer is hinting that it will take place here), then this guy isn't going to give us a gimiky hollywoodized version of Africa. It's going to be real. Of course most of it will depend on the script, but I have faith that he can pull it off. And PJ seems to have a lot of faith in him as well. I think he could give us a down to earth realistic sci-fi tale. The key word there is realistic.

The whole Denzel Washington thing going around being cast as Master Chief is pretty stupid though if you ask me.

Replies

• KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The whole Denzel Washington thing going around being cast as Master Chief is pretty stupid though if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it'll really matter who they get to play MC, since he's just going to be a guy in a suit for 99% of the movie.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I know of a racist who loves Halo. It would just make my day if Denzel was cast or more, at the end of Halo 3, master chief takes off his helmet and is black.

I think this guy would blow a fuse.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I'm only really commenting because That short was really damn interesting. I really have no interest in Halo, in fact I sorta loathe the game. The only good thing that came from it was Red vs Blue. It seems there's a faction of my friends, that are die-hard fans, and I'm sure they'll urge me to go see it.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm familar with Blompkamp's work, specifically the car commercial where the car transforms into a transform-style robot that dances. This is an interesting development, I'm really interested in seeing what he does with it. I really like Blompkamp's pieces, except for I hope he doesn't use as much of the "shakey cameraman" style of film that is prevalent in his work...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I know of a racist who loves Halo. It would just make my day if Denzel was cast or more, at the end of Halo 3, master chief takes off his helmet and is black.

I think this guy would blow a fuse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only trouble is I'm pretty certain Master Chief is written as being white. Not a big thing to change, obviously, but might bother some fans of the books for racism-irrelevant reeasons. I wouldn't really mind at all myself, but it seems like a silly thing to change (albiet an equally pointless thing to get worked up over someone changing)
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Never been too much of a Halo fan, it seems a bit of an easy combination of ye olde clich
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Shouldnt we make a movie about ringworld before we make a movie about Halo?

Niven needs his props...
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    according to the Halo books MC is White with Red hair and freckles.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    ^bingo^

The Fall of Reach explains this very well. MC was quite the bully as a kid smile.gif
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Shouldnt we make a movie about ringworld before we make a movie about Halo?

Niven needs his props...

[/ QUOTE ]

Damned right. At least Bungie sent him an Xbox and a copy of Halo. Last news (2004) was that Sci-Fi is doing a 4-hour Ringworld miniseries. Personally I don't know how well the book(s) would adapt to the screen...much of "Known Space" is established in earlier and later novels. It's a metric shitload of background that would be difficult to fit in 4 hours and still keep the story briskly moving.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Same goes with 90% of good scifi books. More backstory than you can shake a roten zombie leg at.