Home General Discussion

Advice on working with 3D

Tempo
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Tempo polycounter lvl 17
Hello. I'm 20 and I have been working with sprites in MSPaint for about seven years. I have yet to take an anatomy class which I'm still trying to do. I've used 3DsMax and Maya even more. I had a class using maya but it was for objects. I really want to get into character modeling and I've collaborated with someone on one in high school. Does anyone have any suggestions on programs to help me out or what I should do?

~Thanks

If you want to see my sprites over the years, here is my DA page, which has been updated recently:
http://rowe.deviantart.com

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Well, the first rule of art on the internet, is you either hang out with deviantart people and never leave, or you hang out in the real world, and NEVER VISIT DEVIANTART EVER AGAIN.

anyways, heres some video tutorials. I suggest you follow along with a model of your own. http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/tutorial.htm

If they're too advanced for you right now, then you should be doing all the tutorials that come with max or maya or whatever program you use, first.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Bay Raitt's site is good too, check out the movies section:
    http://cube.phlatt.net/home/spiraloid/
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    If you have never taken anatomy classes, and want to do character work. You should start in that first and foremost before worrying about program particulars. Meaning focus on getting that figure background, while on the side start to pick up the 3d applications.

If you have no where local offering anatomy, check at art stores to see if they can suggest nude figure drawing groups where you can begin sketching the human body from real life versus books and others work.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well, the first rule of art on the internet, is you either hang out with deviantart people and never leave, or you hang out in the real world, and NEVER VISIT DEVIANTART EVER AGAIN.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, good call. I found I got a lot more work done when I stopped hanging around that site.

On the topic I totaly agree with what oXYnary said about focusing foremost on anatomy and learning your 3d on the side of that. Also, assuming you want to be working on realtime game art as opposed to rendered cinematic stuff learning to paint textures is VERY important.

Speaking from personal experience I did a 2 year game art crash course that ended up having a lot of focus on the 3d element, some anatomy study and virtually nothing in the area of texturing. Being straight out of school I didn't really understand how important those last two elements were. That really left me in a lurch when I started looking for a job and I'm still working really hard to improve in those areas.

All that said, getting into game art is quite a challenge. Trying to learn the traditional art skills to make your work look good and all the technical stuff on top of that. But like anything if you keep at it you will improve. (Even if it seems like you're not at the time). tongue.gif Anyway, good luck with it man.

Oh by the way, Gnomon Workshop DVDs are a great learning tool. Definatly check them out.
    www.thegnomonworkshop.com
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    hiya 20, most people get into 3d by using max and frequenting the forum often to check out what other people are doing / posting work for criticism.

You can learn a lot from posting your 3d here