Home General Discussion

Hacked Soul Calibur

SouL
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
SouL polycounter lvl 18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2CTcGFSoM0

Gut used a gameshark to make character fight as a different character (ie Taki fighting as Nightmare).

Any ides on how this was done? I was always under the impression that each character was animated seperately with their own custom rig/skeleton system. But if all the animations in the game are interchangable between the various meshes, does that mean there was a master rig/skeleton that houses all animations?

How would you transfer male proportions onto female? And vice versa?

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    But if all the animations in the game are interchangable between the various meshes, does that mean there was a master rig/skeleton that houses all animations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and Soul Calibur always had that. Watching Edge Master fighting with Voldo's animations and weapons is hilarious smile.gif
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    It's definitely possible to have it as part of your animation system. If your characters have really similar bind poses and similar numbers of bones, the rotational keys from the animation can be applied to a different rig. One guy rotating his upper arm 53 degrees is pretty similar to another guy doing the same thing. Motion retargeting, IK and some other tricks will clean up the inconsistencies.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I'm pretty sure that they use one rig for all the characters to make it easy on the animators. I think they have a physics rig and a animation rig so that they can switch the animations around. If not you would have sholders pads, hair, and tit animations trying to be applied to characters with out.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    Not if there aren't any vertices weighted to those bones.

We had the ability to share anims across all our character in X-men3: Next Dimension. While not a great game by any means, swapping or sharing animations in a fighting game is extremely trivial, since you fight on a flat surface (a height offset is used for anims that would make the character clip into or float above the floor). The problems arise when you try to use grab moves animated for a particular character applied to another with wildly different proportions. The grabs either clip through or never even touch the opponent, which I can see all over the place in this video clip.

I think you might be right about a separate physics rig though....considering that the clothing appears to be doing what I would expect even while using these different anims.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Hm. I guess you have to have a pretty robust physics rig/system to have it handle anything that isn't part of the human body.
    I was always under the impression their armor was also hand/mocap animated.

Cool stuff, though. It's too bad development workflows aren't shared more often.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

Any ides on how this was done? I was always under the impression that each character was animated seperately with their own custom rig/skeleton system.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you even presume this if such characters Inferno & Edgemaster exist? They both have Imitative Power.

your lack of knowledge about this game would let me easily thrash you. no-one alive can beat me at this game. And I only play as edgemaster.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    It's been a while smile.gif Cut me some slack.

We're more into Tekken at work. Tekken 5 for the PSP totally rocks, by the way.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    your lack of knowledge about this game would let me easily thrash you. no-one alive can beat me at this game. And I only play as edgemaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

pfft, sc is a jammer's game. Real men take it out on sf2ce or vsav.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm. SF2 CE is a little too "hardcore" it isn't very friendly to noobs.

The great thing about SC is that a noob can buttom jam and still have fun. Buttom jamming in SF will get your ass handed to you quick.

SF2 is great fun, though. We actually have 2 arcade sticks for the PS2 to play on. Hahahah, it's all sorts of awesome.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    of course they use similar skeletons.

How else would they have been able to pull off the 'create a character' in SC3 without it being a nightmare?

[ QUOTE ]
    Hm. I guess you have to have a pretty robust physics rig/system to have it handle anything that isn't part of the human body.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing special. All that stuff is probably simmed or influenced by helper nodes. It would be a pain in the ass to animate all that and have it look good which cycling through loops.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    [ QUOTE ]
    Tekken 5 for the PSP totally rocks, by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe so, but the PSP buttons totally suck, don't they? i nearly smashed mine against the wall just yesterday. arrrrgh!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    nothing beats a dc with sticks. ahem

166369652_3a1631e61c.jpg
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    omg... moon computers!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    nothing beats a dc with sticks. ahem

[/ QUOTE ]

**cough** anarcademachinedoes **cough**

but you're right when it comes to home consoles.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    thomas: Do you have an old version of the PSP?
    I noticed that my co-workers who bought the PSP when it first came out, have problems with the D-pad. But I bought mine just a month ago and they work fine.
    Diagonals seem to be the biggest issue for them... but mine are trouble free.