Home General Discussion

Same procedure as last round Miss Sophy? [rant]

KDR_11k
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
I just came back from a LAN party. It was annoying. All the other people wanted to play was freaking Counterstrike all day long. Some observations:

1. Someone would always suggest playing Counterstrike when Counterstrike wasn't currently being played (especially during the rare occassions where people were playing something else).
2. Any game proposed would usually get rejected with "We'd have to install that. We have CS installed, let's play that."
3. Anyone who didn't have CS installed was told to install it.
4. What people had installed got recjected with "That won't run on all computers we have here" evenb though some games that were accepted caused so many problems they didn't allow all computers to be used.
5. When people were installing a new game and hit any difficulty they'd just forget about it and return to Counterstrike. Same goes for encountering any difficulty in the game.
6. Sometimes people would interrupt Counterstrike to play deathmatch. But they insisted on playing Half-Life's crappy deathmatch mode on badly designed maps. Probably because that plays the most like Counterstrike.

Really, what the hell do people see in that game? My theory is as follows: The game is mostly very static, the rounds play out the same almost all the time. People rush along the same pathes, they fight in the same places. The rounds are short so variation in the process of a round wouldn't affect more than the current round. Both offensive and defensive options are vastly reduced by the weapon selection (no need to think about dodging or leading or where to put splash damage with that RL). Players don't notice much variation in the game, often they'd even buy a weapon they were already holding because they were so used to the same old buying routines.

Conclusion? I think CS is probably the most brainless game available, all you need to know is the patterns that occur (movement pathes, weapon bust intervals, etc). As any difficulty that might require thinking got a "let's play CS" response that seems to be quite consistent. Do people play CS to avoid using their brains?

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    It's obvious that you suck at Counterstrike.

smile.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Anyone up for some de_dust??? wink.gif
  • Seyiji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seyiji polycounter lvl 19
    Countershit (yeah thats right Countershit) fucking sucks!

Remember the bug in the install of the disc version of Half-Life 2 where it was required that you install Countershit I did and when it was done I uninstalled it and zeroed out the sectors of my hard drive where it was installed dod style!

I feel your pain KDR give me a thinking mans game like TFC (before the teleporters) any day smile.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I won't bother ranting up a storm about CS, but rest assured I have a long one.

You just gotta laugh to keep from crying when it comes to silly features like the one that forces you to stay in place when you are shot. That's not still in it right???
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I don't like Counterstrike either (for some of the aforementioned reasons, even), but the extreme points of view on both sides of the issue are confounding. It's just a gaaaame. If you don't like it but your group does, shouldn't you bow to the obvious will of the majority and find a different group? Why all the anti-CS passion over what seems to be a simple matter of preference?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    If you want to kick the CS weenies in their nutsacks, grab Rune and get a few people playing. They'll all stop their AWP-whoring and want to get in on the limb-ripping head-slicing action. Happens every time at the Lan parties I go to. smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    1. With Steam, CS is easy to install.
    2. Due to office policy on installed games, CS is best to install.
    3. Because of large bandwidth pipeline at the office, CS is fast to install.
    4. Counterstike is simple to play, and that means, more players who know how to play. Simplicity goes a long way. If I want to use my brain, I'll play sudoku.
    5. Counterstrike is fun to play if you know what to do (not repeating the last round), instead of crying like a 10 year old girl who just wet herself.
    6. Counterstrike is more about strategy, and less about reflexes and repetition than say, UT2k4. So it's more competitive, and easier for noobs to adjust.
    7. Would you like for us to call a Waaambulance?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Counterstrike is more about strategy, and less about reflexes and repetition than say, UT2k4.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by strategy, you mean "Try to get the awp and shoot bad guys, die, wait, respawn, repeat" then okay.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I've been playing CS since beta .2 and I have to say, I agree with what ElysiumGX said. The people that tend to complain about CS are the people that are really bad at it. I think CS is an important game because of the fame it recieves and how long it's been around. The game does let nublets adapt quickly, it is very much a strategy based game, and extremely fun (when there aren't cheaters). All in all...there's are several reasons it's one of the most popular games in history. Though you may not like it, you have to appreciate it. And by the way, awp-whores are easy as hell to beat. :]
    That being said, anyone up for some 1.6 action? (not a fan of CS:S) :]
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    or people are just effing tire of CS and would like to play something else. And anyone who says UT2k4 doesnt involve strategy is high on crack... plumber's butt-crack.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I can see it from both sides. While I can see that the game requires quite a bit of skill to become good, I just don't see the draw. I don't understand why it gets so much attention, and why it's been so popular for so long. Sure, it was a cool game for a bit, but I don't understand why people haven't become bored of it and moved on.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    People do get bored of it, and quit playing it. But then come right back to it when LAN time comes around. And besides, when people quit, there are just more to fill their place.

The game is only strategic if you're playing small teams, 7 on 7, or possibly 10 on 10 if it's a gianormous map. When you get to those 32 player cannon-fodder-for-thought cluster-fucks it becomes more like a drunken game of who can piss further.

While the game does get boring, I admit I play through it. I play because I like the people who play, and sometimes its just fun to screw around. The game has a huge draw because its easy to clan up and choose a team and play. When the game started getting too boring and too many people stopped playing, thats when CAL started up, and it created a whole new atmosphere. To tell you the truth, playing 1.6 competetivly is a whole different game.

If you're good at the game, and you pub, you're going to get bored, and start hating all the annoying people. Or you're going to be the ass that everyone resents because you just go into their server and rip everyone apart and laugh calling them all nubs.

Every game has its faults, its weaknesses. CS sure has a bunch, but the game is what you make it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    KDR: This is why we plan games before the day, make sure everyone has things installed and patched before they get there.
    Also, don't LAN with a bunch of CS nerds smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    5. Counterstrike is fun to play if you know what to do (not repeating the last round), instead of crying like a 10 year old girl who just wet herself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect wink.gif

Action Quake2 is far better. Hell, Action Half-Life is far better. Basically any FPS which doesn't feel like you just equipped carpet slippers, a walking stick and a pipe along with your wide variety of nigh-on identical automatic weapons. CS is like wading through molasses with chunks of spam floating in it.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You just gotta laugh to keep from crying when it comes to silly features like the one that forces you to stay in place when you are shot. That's not still in it right???

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't know since they always play the pre-Steam version (mostly because none of them actually bought HL or CS and the non-Steam version is easier to warez).

We were playing 2vs2 or 3vs3 (or 2-1 or 3-2) most of the time. People rarely varied their routes. Worst map for lack of variety is dust, people always run the same route there.

Of course I'm not as good in CS. I don't play that when I can avoid it (i.e. never outside of LANs and even during a LAN only when I'm so horribly bored and NOTHING else is going on) while everyone else seems to play it religiously. I hate long-range combat which seems to be the only really viable combat in CS, I prefer going up-close but that almost never happens and because of the slow movement, hit slowdown and insane damage values for weapons you can't force someone into close combat.

And then of course there are the annoying people who complain that you're camping when you're stopping for a second to take aim.

Apropos camping, more potent explosives would easily make that tactic ineffective. The camper knows where you'll emerge but not when, you know roughly where he is and when. He benefits from an insta-hit precision weapon while you could use a much slower but spreading weapon (like a rocket launcher, a machinegun wouldn't work in CS). Unfortunately the latter does not exist in CS.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    im bored and ive never even played the game, im bored looking at it, ill stick to solitare
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    CS is fun, though I prefer Day of Defeat.
    The only thing I think is really bad about CS is the abundance of useless weapons. Either you're a sniper, or you use the M4A1 or the AK47. In DoD: Source every class/weapon is useful - and there's a lot of variety inbetween.

Can't wait for Team Fortress 2. laugh.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The other weapons are for the smaller budgets but I still can't figure out why it has more pistols than the standard and the Deagle.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    KDR: This is why we plan games before the day, make sure everyone has things installed and patched before they get there.
    Also, don't LAN with a bunch of CS nerds smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect wink.gif

Action Quake2 is far better. Hell, Action Half-Life is far better. Basically any FPS which doesn't feel like you just equipped carpet slippers, a walking stick and a pipe along with your wide variety of nigh-on identical automatic weapons. CS is like wading through molasses with chunks of spam floating in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love you mop, aq2 is easily 10 times more fun than cs. Too bad aq2 DM servers dont really exsist anymore. I spent more hours planing that game than i think i've dedicated to anything else in my life(besides 3d art)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    hm. only tried AHL back in the day and that was just plain deathmatch with some random strangers on all the servers? still i owe something to AHL thanks to a certain modelling contest. smile.gif

cs on the other hand requires teamwork and thus a group of people who play together well. and with such a group it's totally not the same shoot-out with identical weapons every round. it's not meant to be played like deathmatch, anyway.

cs was simply amazing. played that for like two years until i had to move out of a certain student home and thus lost contact to my team.
    we tried q3 and ut and their 'realism' mods a few times but it all simply paled in comparison. not even the guys from our team who played Q3 semi-professionally in leagues ever argued about cs as a team sport.

after the cs experience, i could never touch any deathmatch fps, that stuff bored me to death instantly. the only thing that could come halfway close was bf1942 - mainly because of the vehicles and the open terrains though. it lacked the extra movement control and the variety and balance of weapons.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't played CS in years, but I think it's a great game. I personally can't stand deathmatch games with twitch gameplay (Quake, Unreal, etc.), with their random spawn points where you spawn right in front of someone who has a fucking rocket launcher. Even when I'm winning and have the most kills in those DM games (usually only happens when my friends are drunker than I laugh.gif), I just don't find the gameplay satisfying at all. The only multiplayer games I've ever really enjoyed are the various HL multiplayer mods (CS, DOD, TFC, etc.) and the Battlefield series.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Personally I'd recommend Soldier of Fortune 2 for a nice semi-tactical, semi-arcadey round-based multiplayer game with a smorgasboard (sp?) of random weapons. It quickly took over the LAN parties I'd go to back about 5 years ago.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Battlefield 1942 is far superior in atleast 90 ways...;-)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    try playing dawn of war over LAN with as many people as youve got >;D (it only officially supports 8 players per game... but there are ways and means of getting more). its hella fun.

too bad this thread is about FPS style games =[

i agree though, counterstrike got really boring for me after the first few months of playing.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    CS is fun, though I prefer Day of Defeat.
    The only thing I think is really bad about CS is the abundance of useless weapons. Either you're a sniper, or you use the M4A1 or the AK47. In DoD: Source every class/weapon is useful - and there's a lot of variety inbetween.

Can't wait for Team Fortress 2. laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What boX said.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Dude, Counterstrike was the shiznit in beta .2 in 1999. I had an awesome time playing it for about 3 months! How can you criticize people for doing a retro games party and breaking out an old classic that they haven't played in 6 years?!

Oh wait... What do you mean people are still playing it? As in, for the last 6 years?

Dude, I had all of the routes, grenade toss timing, weapons, and weapons choices mastered within the first 3 days of playing. After that, it was just mindless domination, and I quit. It amazes me that someone can keep playing something that had such restricted and monotonous gameplay. If I was going to play something repetitively, it would be Team Fortress Classic, Battlefield, Enemy Territory, UT CTF, or even COD TDM. There's just much more variety in how the game is going to play out each time in any of those games, as well as many others.

With CS, it's weapon selection, route selection, 1, 2, 3, 4, grenade cook, boom. Follow through, finish survivors. Slip behind box, reload, wait, wait, wait, cap the straggler in the back of the head, etc., etc. Shoot, I still almost remember the timing for that whole thing, even after 6 years. And I only played the damn game for 3 months.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could be worse man, they could have all been playing WoW. tongue.gif
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    Agree with KDR tbh, and no I dont suck(ed) at it, I spent 3 years of my life in a top clan, but it truly is very very boring.