Home Technical Talk

Anyone mess with Maya 8 yet?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
Was wondering I heard about it the other day, haven't heard much about it..

Anyone check it out? ooo.gif

Replies

• Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    hopefully autodesk hasn't messed with it to make it more like Max frown.gif
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I've been using the beta for several months now. I didn't get a chance to dig too deep into the newer stuff, but the Attribute Transfer (or whatever it's called) is awesome! You can shrink-wrap your low-poly over your high-poly mesh very quickly. You can generate UVs ona mesh based on another mesh (UV low rez, copy to high rez spatially). Pretty nice stuff.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    ohh so i guess they are trying to make it more like max then.. how are the polytools? i hear they actually have ring selct now, glad they are trying to get out of the stone age.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    The ring and loop select tools in 7 are pretty awesome, you can actually start and stop a loop/ring wherever you want and then continue it in a different direction.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I read the what's new features they are adding some shitty max features like when you create a cube you can pull the mouse on screen for width height depth. That shit is inefficient and I will disable it immediately. Looking forward to transfer uv's between two different topologies that would be a huge time saver for environment work.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    without a decent connect tool, working bevel/chamfer and softsel's and a better selection of coordinate systems to pick from, it will still be a hopeless case, i'm afraid.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Still having no edge sliding is absolutely pathetic in such a package.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    There's no edge/face constraints?!!

NOOOOoooooooo....

That sucks.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Connect tool, you mean append polygon?

I've been told by max users the bevel is about the same in both packages now.

There is a chamfer vertex but I can't figure out what you would actually use it for?

Not sure what coordinate systems you are referring to? We work in x,y,z with centemetres, this is relative to the game engine any ways?

Edge face constraints, moving an edge along it's angle, yes that is in there too, you can also snap verts and slide them along other edges even their own edge.