Home Technical Talk

my first 3D model (it's bad)

orahlith
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
orahlith polycounter lvl 17
One of the other interns at work today showed my how to do some basic stuff with Lightwave, then he gave me a demodisk. I can't remember how to do a lot of the things he showed me, like get rid of that grid that slices through your object.
Or how to deal with layers. Oh well, he'll be back in on Friday and hopefully I'll learn more of those things. Should have taken notes.

It's a house! A -very- small one.
3dhouse.jpg

What I *really* want to learn is UV Mapping and Texturing (I've said this before). I think I'd be good at it.

Replies

• tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    lol, im thinking of the first time i toched 3d max. Have fun..and it will be very frustrating at first, but keep hard at work, and you will see the fruits of your labors.

oh and "G" turns off the grid in 3ds max...dunno about lightwave
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Very few companies use Lightwave just so you know . Max and Maya are the big players in the game industry with XSI a distant fallower .
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    You see where you cut the window in? Move it towards the centre of the house so that the 2 vertical edges of the window share the same edges as the wall. This will use less polygons, and in game art less polygons = good.

In environment stuff you don't usually need extra polygons for deformation, so you could cut a load of those polygons out as they are adding nothing to the shape.

As an aside, having more polygons of a uniform size like that is good - good for lighting - but at the level of detail in the house you have at the moment they aren't adding anything except to the polycount.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    McIlroy - actually a fair few companies use lightwave. certainly can't harm to learn it
  • orahlith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    orahlith polycounter lvl 17
    McIlroy - I figure since I'm completely a beginner with 3D Lightwave is much better to learn than Maya since I don't think in polygons yet. Maya was intimidating and Lighwave wasn't so...I think I'll start here ;-)

Rick - Are you talking about where I placed the window or the depth I added to it? I used the knife tool to split the six polygons on the window side so that I could place the window in that area. I didn't know which tool to use to force that sort of cut in there so that I could place the window where I wanted it (is there something better to use to do this?).

I also used smooth shifting for both the window and the door to push them in a little so that there was some depth to the areas.

When my co-worker was showing me the program he couldn't find any tutorials on making houses that we could follow along with. I'm stubborn on trying to make houses because I'm all about interesting archetecture.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Its the placemtne - you have 3 vertical cuts already on the house dividing the side wall into 4 parts.

You could have used either of the 2 central polygons for the window, then you'd only have had to make 2 horizontal cuts to define the top and bottom of the window.

HOUSE.JPG