Home Technical Talk

Zbrush at Siggraph

Mongrelman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
This was just posted on the zbrush forums, I'm quite excited about some of the features, such as storing sculpting and texturing in layers, and transfering details to other geometry.

I just hope it is released in the near future.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=36912&highlight=mudbox

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    the link currently doesn't work for me but what you wrote sounds very promising. not the least since i'm entitled to a free upgrade - or so i tend to believe. smile.gif

i have to say Z2 has been pretty reliable for me. didn't hit a lot of bugs nor crashes so i actually prefer them to take the time to implement things in a working fashion for the initial release, not in bugfest-style with lot's of patches.
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap that mesh extraction is awesome. I can't wait to upgrade, this program just gets more and more amazing.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    "3D sculpting with an alpha, texture, and stroke – the power of Projection Master in full 3D."

finally!
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    This would totally kick ass if it would actually get released. I'm tired of waiting for Zbrush 2.5 to come out...more and more I consider Zbrush new features vaporware.

I really like using Zbrush, but I can't afford to only use the cool new features it in the far future. I'm building stuff in the here-and-now. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised and this will come out before Mudbox is released.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Yes this is great news for Zbrush users! Can't wait for the upgrade too...

The layers when scultping seem awesome too. Doesn't Mudbox has some similar feature too?

And i think Pixologic really works well on helping the comunity, after the very usefull Zscripts to watch other people worflow, the Zcasting would work great too for newcomers...
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    It's good to see they are taking Mudbox seriously and providing features that many users might have otherwise decided to move over to to MB for.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    oh no! Do I see another app war on the horizon?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    come on in-perspective editing! you can do it pixologic!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, this looks like a great time (well, once 2.5 actually comes out) as there should be some good competition between zbrush and mudbox. I currently have zbrush and wouldn't be able to afford mudbox for quite awhile, so I'm particularly glad to see mudbox pushing zbrush forward.

And thank god for perspective editing hehe.

Maybe Autodesk will buy them both and make Mudbrush? :P
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Am I the only one to be unable to stand the evangelist voice they use in all these zbrush vids? Also the way they use z-something words to describe each and every feature.

On a side note, that extrude thing is somehow already available in Z2. You have to know trick #237 to do it (using morphs to create the difference between the original and the inflated model) but the results are very similar. That's what Meats Meier (right spelling?) uses on all his images, and is reffered as 'the wire technique' on the Zbrush forums.

And yeah Vitor, one of the biggest buzz about Mudbox is that it has, indeed, photoshop-like layers for sculpt...

Anyways! Long life price drops!
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    huzzar hopefully this will put an end to all this zb is dead long live mudbox crap i keep reading. I think im most looking forward to the new casting feature hopefully it will be enough of an incentive for more people to show how they work, maybe there will be speech implemented into it as well so you can discuss their work as they go.

As for zb2.5 being vaporware most of the updates previously promised were delivered upon zmapper and improved displacment features/psapp ect.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    wow! zbrush is still on my "to learn" apps. shame I cannot get past unrealED at the moment. heh
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two new vids in the first post of the thread on zbrushcentral. The new sculpting tools look more than a wee bit peachy, such as the tilable stencil.

I'm getting excited again.
  • Fifth_miracle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fifth_miracle polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Am I the only one to be unable to stand the evangelist voice they use in all these zbrush vids? Also the way they use z-something words to describe each and every feature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that brother...amen to that...
  • Kyraal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyraal polycounter lvl 17
    Finally. I'm glad Zbrush still seems to be in the game. I think there will only come good things out of Mudbox and Zbrush competing for the crown, both pushing to outdo the other. As long as they keep things streamlined (Mudbox definitely has this down so far, albeit they don't have as many features as Zbrush, so it's easier) and not just throw things into their products only to be feature-packed, we'll probably see an increase in development on both sides.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    zBrush is just playing catch-up with Mud. They got their hands on the beta and straight out copied as many features as they could. And yes, this is definitly why they delayed their big 2.5 release, which is also why I switched away from it. I was first given a demo of 2.5 in December or so - where is it today?

I know their features will be hacked in, one big kludge, just like the rest of their features. Like zMapper? Man, don't you love having to use a different set of keys to navigate in the plugin window from the standard window. They still try to stand apart, calling every feature & tool by a different name - just call it the standard names we are used to! It's on object - not a tool! A tool is something you use to create stuff.

I don't know - after using a real program, their stuff just feels like Poser or Kai's Power Tools for 3D. Fancy interface hacked on top of something it was never intended to do. We'll see though - having both in the tool chest is useful, as both will never have everything you need at once.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New video released showing mesh projection

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=36912&page=1&pp=15

Should be very handy.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That feature looks pretty nifty - can Mudbox do the same?
    The way the guy in the video says "mesh projection" is really annoying though smile.gif
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    [ QUOTE ]
    That feature looks pretty nifty - can Mudbox do the same?
    The way the guy in the video says "mesh projection" is really annoying though smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, not in Beta2 at least. But something similar will probably be implemented now that they're showing it off in ZBrush wink.gif