Home General Discussion

spiderman 3 , venom info

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
here is some info on the comicon presentation of spiderman 3. lots of juicy stuff on venom, and if they are spilling this many beans a year before release i am pretty sure he has a larger role than people have been speculating.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23949

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Wow thanks for the link, that was an interesting read. And Venom won't always be CG? That'll be interesting to see...personally I always thought Topher would've been better cast as Carnage, just because of his frame...but should be great regardless.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i haven't been too enthused about Venom being in the film so far. the description of Topher's scene in the church has me interested though.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23954 link with character posters.

*edit too many thoughs.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet!!

and who says that Venom is going to be thin? I mean, 45 minutes to just get in his suit and 4 1/2 hours of make up...
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, they can easily pull a Hulk with him and change his size as he gets more comfortable with the symbiote. I'm still really psyched for this movie. Next summer should be a great summer with all these movies.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I figure they will, I wasn't commenting that Venom would be thin, but Topher is, whereas Eddie Brock was always portrayed as practically a linebacker-sized fella before coming in contact with the symbiote. Regardless I'm betting it will be well done in the movie, just seemed like odd casting.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sort of agree. I remember years and years ago reading in Wizard dream casting thing. They wanted Howie Long to play Eddie Brock. Lookwise he's real close. But I think with the tone that Raimi sets for these movies Topher is a really good choice.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Well,Eddie is the size of a linebacker in the comics because the symbiotes strength is proportional to eddies strength as a human,no problem with topher as venom here.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well,Eddie is the size of a linebacker in the comics because the symbiotes strength is proportional to eddies strength as a human,no problem with topher as venom here.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, chicken before the egg?

Venom is stronger than Spiderman because Brock was working out like a madman getting buff as hell (continually thinking about how much he hated Peter Parker and blaming him for the problems in his life) and was therefore stronger than Peter: making Venom stronger than Spidey.

We may be thinking along the same lines and I have misread your post, but, per size, Topher is wrong. I still think he'll do a good job, though and look forward to the film.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just think it's silly to have a line-backer sized photographer in the first place.

I like Topher because he's so similar to Peter, that when he changes, you get a huge contrast in character. It kinda makes the transformation more of a transformation.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    isnt the Ultimate series Eddie Brock more inline with Parker's size?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    jeff: those wizard fan casting things were always complete shit,, they always cast because "so and so kinda looks like this character" and never based on any inkling of actual tallent.. they wanted glenn danzig to play wolvrerine...
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, they were so off they were funny. I loved the Danzig one. I think Patrick Stewart was the only one they were spot on that I remember. If they have a part 4 with Carnage and it's Paul Bettany I think that everyone would like that.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Venom Nice hope they do him justice.

Just for shitz and gigglez i guess here's the trailer:
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/spider-man_3/
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Does anyone know whats the deal with the sandman villain? Was he ever in the comics? Is he just there as filler for someone to fight while spidey is struggling with the symbiote? It would've been nice to see one of the lesser, muscled villains such as Rhino or Scorpion as filler...
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes Sandman was in the comics. some of the very first Spiderman comics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandman_%28Marvel_Comics%29

"first appeared in The Amazing Spider-Man #4 (Sept. 1963)."
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    sandman is the guy who almost killed spiderman more times than any other villain. All spidermans skills are basicly useless against sandman.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Ahhhh and they didn't feature him in the 1990s cartoons...that's why I don't know about him haha!
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    I could have sworn he was in the cartoon. I can see it in my mind! Sandman and Hydroman fighting Spiderman and then they combined into the mud blob thing until they got seperated. I don't know how else I would have known about that cause I never read the comics....oy....

Memory Failure ={
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did some checking and apparently Sandman did not come out in the 90's toon.

weird.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Dont know if its still the same but last i read sandman died in the comics due to a poisonus bite from Venom.
  • wille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wille polycounter lvl 17
    venom has a venomous bite?O_o

and yeah, sandman has "always" been a part of spideys world, tho not always as a regular villain.During the sinister six(umm sinister seven?) days he was only a part of the group because the other members(electro and doc oc was also a part of the group if I remember correctly) had someone in his family hostage.
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    I only hope they didn't go overboard with the number of characters and subplots within this movie. The previous two had one villan, this one will have three - not to mention in need of some kind of conclusive end to the trilogy (at least, I thought this was going to be the last).

Topher looks great as venom, and I really liked the previous two installments. Exactly the kind of films I look for in a popcorn theatre. smile.gif
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    They are making 6. Or at least Sony is. Whether Raimi and the cast stick around is up in the air.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    venom has a venomous bite?O_o

and yeah, sandman has "always" been a part of spideys world, tho not always as a regular villain.During the sinister six(umm sinister seven?) days he was only a part of the group because the other members(electro and doc oc was also a part of the group if I remember correctly) had someone in his family hostage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well after a breif period of being a good guy he was brain washed and believed all his good actions were fake,then he hooked up with the sinister six again in which venom was a member of,after being humilated by the other members sandman sought out revenge and during the fight venoms symbiote bite off a piece of sandmans mass and the poisoned caused sandmans body to collapse and he died.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury, I read an interview with a lady from Sony talking about the series and she said they haven't sorted it out past this one. I would assume they make as many as they can till it's not profitable for them. I'm pretty sure the cast and Raimi and only signed on through this one.

----POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT FANBOYS!!!!----

Also Skullbox, there's a panel talk at I think IGN that says There's only 2 villans in this one.

From IGN:

"Raimi finally (and rather anti-climatically) confirmed that the new villains in the film are indeed Sandman and Venom, and that James Franco's vengeful Harry Osborn will not be playing either the new Green Goblin or Hobgoblin in the movie."
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what Raimi meant (according the Ain'tItCool report) was Harry is not going to be *called Green Goblin 2 or Hobgoblin but he is still going after Spiderman with his dad's equipment. semantics probably but Spiderman still fights 3 villians; Sandman, Venom, and Harry. smile.gif

and they are tying up a lot of loose ends with this one but not 'completely closing the book'.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Of course they have him fight Harry Osborne, they show it in the trailer. I'm guesing the love story Mary Jane will be SEVERELY thinned out in order to accommodate three villains.

Do you guys think they will actually KILL Venom in this one though?
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    harry supposedly helps peter out at the end to put down venom and sandman, so it's more 2.5 villains. really want to know which origin they use for venom and sandman. space alien wouldn't work so well for venom since the series has been more science gone bad so far, which would make the ultimate venom origin plausible. sandmans sand+radiation = superpowers (stan really loved radiation) might work, so could his ultimate origin, he's a supersoldier experiment. practically everyone with superpowers in the ultimate line who isn't a mutant, got their powers from something linked to the supersoldier program, even spider-man. the supersoldier program originally created captain america. venom was created as a cancer treatment, but stolen for it's military applications.
    my name is scott, and i'm a nerd
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Marine, notice in Spiderman 2, Mary Jane's fiance is the astronaut who (according to the cartoon and I'm reasonably sure the comics) goes to the moon and brings back the symbiote accidentily in the space shuttle? I sure hope they stick with that, it'd be a great sequence to see!!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    ebagg, they said that they wanted to avoid the cosmic origin for venom. I'd bet money it will be similar to the ultimate universe's version of venom.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Awww...well how does the ultimate universe's differ?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Eddie Brock Jr. was Peter Parker's closest childhood friend. However, the genesis of Venom began years earlier. Instead of a sentient alien, a genetically engineered protoplasmic "Venom Suit" was designed by Richard Parker and Edward Brock, Senior. Parker intended it to be used for medical purposes in his quest to cure cancer, but Brock Sr. was more interested in the military applications of the Suit. After the deaths of both Parker and Brock, Eddie continued the research, using two samples from a Suit he found in his father's fridge that was originally created for Richard Parker's DNA. One of the samples bonded with Peter, which lead to a variant of the "alien costume" storyline from the original Marvel Universe.

Afterwards, Peter warned Eddie of the dangers of the Suit when its enhanced metabolism and aggression nearly drove him to kill. Eddie, angry at Peter for destroying his Suit, (their 'inheritance') used a second sample to become Venom. The Suit consumed Eddie alive and drove him insane, forcing him to feed on other humans.

(taken from wikipedia)
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    - Raimi was begged to give something up about the origin of the symbiote, but he wouldn't say. He did say that he wanted to keep the film grounded in a sort of real world and that he was avoiding the cosmic, which would make me think it's not going to be an alien. Raimi wanted to keep it a secret until it came out.

[/ QUOTE ]

come on people! read the first post link. it answers/alludes to some of the things your asking tongue.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    Anything they can do to keep anything "Jim Shooter" and his vision of blehhhhh out of the movie is ok with me.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    its all about media blockout... i didn't want to know venom is going to be in spiderman 3... u know... i didn't want to know alot of things, but the media had to go and spoil things for me and countless others with previews and all these little sneak peaks... i hate it how sometimes they literally use every single cool shot from the movie in various trailers, and then you know the whole plot before you even buy the ticket... you know exactly what to expect, and that dilutes the experience.

best example for when media blockout worked for me = the original matrix... i didn't give a shit about it... then i saw it on payperview at some point (i was getting it for free at the time, so thought what the hell) and it turned out to be one of the best movies i've ever seen...

there you go nuff said smile.gif