Home General Discussion

How awesome is your dad?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
Stealing this idea from SomethingAwful, but I think it's pretty cool to hear about peoples upbringing.

My dad is so cool. Sometimes I wish he'd given me more life instructions, but he gave me so much emotional support I can't really fault him. Some of my fond memories:
He would put me in a wheelbarrow full of leaves as a kid and push me all around the yard.
We went fishing once and I caught the largest fish. When he started cleaing and gutting them, I got all sad for my large fish and asked if he was going to do that to my fish too. When he said yes I asked if I could take it back and release it in the pond and he let me. I felt so much better for having rescued my large fish.
We would play a game I affectionately called "rawwr" My sisters and I would get on a metal playset, and he would hide beneath it, pop out when we were least expecting it, and yell "rawwrr" It always caused us to yell in surprise and then fall into fits of laughter.
When I was 8 and had a mullet, he took me to one of the weddings he was shooting. He was in a tux, with a pedo-stache, and I was in a sweatsuit with a mullet. I still have a picture of him holding me and we're both smiling at the camera. I remember it was the first time I got to eat luxury food items.
When I was very young and Coke still came in glass bottles I asked him if I could have another (he had to open them for me). When he said he'd be a moment, I decided to open it myself with a hammer. I still have a scar behind my ear from the glass shrapnel. (not sure why that's a fond memory, but it is)
Watching he and my mother jump on our large trampoline.
He taught me how to wrestle. We had so many nights of rough housing.
He and my mother were very supportive when I decided to go into art. They cosigned for massive loans without any idea of if I'd be able to make money afterwards. Now they brag to all their friends that I make more than the two of them put together (with their three masters degrees between them, while I don't even have a bachelors).

Yeah I love my dad.

cimg1699.jpg

poop.gif

Replies

• PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18

My dad is entertaining, and friendly. I have the same laugh as him. We share alot in common. I get my game from my Dad. dad is a hero to me. But....

My Dad likes to emabarass me in front of the girls I hit on. I think he thinks that he's sharpening my game. In reality he's just causing me problems.

Other than that we have an okay relationship. Wwe talk about money, and every-day-life stuff. We love eachother...but we don't have a special relationship like I do with my Mom.

-R
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    excuse me if I sound cheesey but that was heartwarming.

My brother and I used to have a game we played as children at bedtime. After my dad said goodnight and was leaving the room one of use would shout "goodnight carrothead" or some other silly name and my dad would respond with something silly. This would go on for a little bit until either my brother or I dropped the bomb, "Goodnight, FROGFACE!" My dad would act like it was the most insulting thing he ever heard and then we'd all crack up laughing.

He read me the Chronicles of Narnia when I was very young, I think of Aslan as having my father's voice to this very day. He was always willing to talk about problems and give advice, most of my friends considered him a second father.

I could go on and on about my dad but I don't want to make a long and drawn out post. My dad, Frank Meisse, was and still is my hero and I miss him greatly every day.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Another fond memory, My parents would have to wake me up for high school. I never wanted to get up, so my dad would come in, and grab my ankle, and try to pull me out of bed. I would hold onto the matress while trying to feign sleep still. Some mornings ended with the mattress, my dad, and me, all in a pile on the floor. Good times. :-)

Also Justin, your frogface story cracked me up. I can just imagine a dad doing that.

poop.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    my dad is is totally awesome. he is a chef and started teaching me how to cook and handle a knife when i was 4. by the time i was 7 i would cook dinner for the family once a week with a little help from dad, he would just supervise and tell me how much stuff to throw in the pan and how long to cook it.

he was an artist as well and spent hours drawing with me, but stopped drawing when i got better than him, i think it was when i was around 14 or 15. he is also an avid outdoorsman and we would go camping and fishing at least once week, at one time we lived in a tent on the beach in a rual area of the gulf coast for 2 monthes.

fondest memory would probably be a camping trip we took to port St.Joe when i was around 15. we stayed up really late and he started asking me to concentrate on things really hard, like he would say pick a shape or color and concentrate on it, then he would guess it. He got everyone right, and to this day i am convinced my dad has superpowers. and i still cant beat him arm wrestling.

we still have an awesome relationship and i talk to about 5 times a week. he is my best friend.

He just got done with his cancer treatment and though he looks like hell, he is full of life and energy and after kemotherepy, radiation, and a radical neck surgery, they cant find any more cancer in him, i am so lucky i get more time to enjoy with him.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    phew, your use of the past tense really scared me for a moment! That's really awesome Ben. Hopefully not to put too much of a downer on things, reading this makes me a little sad, as it reminds me that I've never really had a relationship with mine. Although we have contact, it's sporadic, and completely mechanical. I just dont really know the guy. He's emotionally very old school.

Example: My birthday was sunday. Of course, at my age I don't expect gifts, but contact would be nice. Nothing of course, until monday morning when I receive an e-mail along the lines of 'hello old boy, I remembered that it's that time again, so happy birthday'.

Gee, thanks for the effort Dad. Must have taken a minute or two to write that. In six years of living in the US he has called me once. So cherish what you have! I envy you guys really.

I just sent him a birthday card for his 60th though. I try.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    my dad is EXACTLY like family guy...
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    My mom and dad got divorced when I was born, and I've never met my dad. I can't remember my half brother or sister that used to live with me when I was really young either. Fortunately for me, I've either lived with or very close to my grandparents my entire life (until now), and my Grandpa has been more of a father to me than any other man ever could. Throughout my life, all those moments where a dad should have been there, he was there. I'm not going to feel sorry for myself, but there have been times in my life where I wondered what it would be like to have a man in the house . That happens very rarely though because I'm so close with my grandpa and my uncle. I have the utmost respect for him, and to me, he is my dad.

IM000406Small.jpg
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah...I'm in the same boat as Daz. Not much warm father-son activity going on. He really treats me more as a co-worker than as a son, becaue I help him out from time to time with his stone masonry. He also likes to point out how other people my age are better than me...
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    wow , you are all lucky your dads are still alive.
    It's just an unfortunate fact that the older you get the more funerals you have to attend.
  • Hedhunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hedhunta polycounter lvl 18
    My dad was cool up until I turned about 13.. then for some reason, whatever issues he's had he has directed every bit of anger and hate he possibly can at me. These days hes arrogant, a drunkard, verbally abusive and all around a general asshole to everyone in our family. We were running a business and once I realised he treated his customers better then his own family, I decided I didn't care what he thought anymore about me or anything. I havent talked to him in about 3 months(he works overseas these days, everyone in the family is happy he isnt here because all he does is bitch and moan that we suck, we're all lazy and useless, the house isnt clean enough, etc. hipocritically cause he leaves his shit everywhere, gets drunk and makes huge messes cause he cant find what hes looking for then expects US to clean them up for him)... hmm, so ok hes not awesome. meh.

On the flipside, my high school art teacher kind of fell into place as a father figure for me, total awesome down to earth guy that for the last 7 years I've known him has supported me much, much more than my own father ever has. He's one of my best friends(its sorta weird having a best friend thats 15 years older then you, but it works out) now and he more then anyone has shaped how I grew to be a man from the boy I was only 3 or 4 years ago(I'm 20, and if you knew me when I was 16 or 17 I was a tottaly different person). So while not all of us can have great fathers, at least sometimes theres someone else to fill that void.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    robert deniro's character from Meet the Parents reminds everyone I know of my dad. Back when I lived on a military base he had developed a reputation as "The Colonel"....not just A colonel, mind you, because there are a lot of them, but "THE Colonel".

-but he's a pretty rad dad, I might add.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    My dad isn't even remotely cool. He shouts and complains constantly, if he can't find something to complain about and blame us for he'll make something up, usually starting conversations on subjects he knows will enrage him. He also constantly messes up his computer and expects me to fix it.

Sometimes he's in a good mood but that just means he'll start singing annoying and embarrassing songs and generally annoy us.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Uh.. didn't really have a relationship with him when I was younger. We're tighter these days, but nothing like what you've all written here. He's former president of Toronto's Police Union, and is now a radio DJ for Mojo radio (Ontario). He's also a consultant for movie and television shows offering information for police practices.

S'bout it.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    My dad is in a rock band, and rides a Harley.

How awesome IS your dad? tongue.gif
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    I barely have any relationship with my dad.
    He's sort of like an old mommy wuss boy... meaning he does everything his mom tells him to do (yeah she's still alive).
    He rarely ever calls me and it's usually me who tries to get in touch. When I was still living in Germany, the day I told him that I'd move to Canada a week later he just said "Oh ok. I'm going to go downstairs into the basement and get some meat from the freezer" =/

He doesn't show much emotion... and he's not exactly "bright" :S
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    My dad is great, he's an architect so he's always been supportive with my art. He's reliable, helping me out with anything I've asked for. I felt so guilty when we were trying to cram a couch I was using through an angled double doorway, and his bicep tendon snapped. He's always been there for the family and even when my mom was being belligerent and either me or my sister were yelling back and forth with mom, my dad would always try to break up the argument no matter how much we'd tell him to shut up and let us fight.

As a kid he and I also played sports ALL the time, whether it be tossing a football, a baseball, me struggling as a kid to score a soccer goal on him, etc etc. He's always been a great dad and made sure our family had food on the table, even if he was the cook, then it was mac and cheese, or hot dogs and tater tots or burritos all week long haha!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yay, I get to bring the storm clouds! smile.gif

My dad was never really there for us. He worked long hours, then came home and went on his PC the rest of the night. Never really did anything with us. It was all my mother. She kicks ass. Then my parents got divorced when I was about 7, and that's been that. He's tried to be more dad-like the past few years, but still doesn't call on holidays or my bdays, though he says he tries and gets busy signals....yeah.

So my dad = the lose. My mom = the bomb.
    I'll post pics/stories about her later smile.gif
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I'm 20 years old, and just a few days ago I found out who my father is and where I came from. I found out that my brother and I have different fathers.

I grew up with my mom, my brother, my grandparents, and my uncle. We all lived in the same little apartment when I was a kid. It was actually the basement of a doctor's office, with a bedroom and a kitchen.

I have great memories, but none with a dad. For some reason, it was never an issue for me as a kid. I just "didn't have a dad."
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My dad is in a rock band, and rides a Harley.

How awesome IS your dad? tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad told Milton Berle to go f#%k himself!
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, lots of varying degrees of fatherhood experienced here. Really interesting thread

My dad is deffinatly awesome. He's probably the hardest working person I've ever known. He works as a firefighter, and on his off days works doing contracting work. Which meant he worked a shit load, usually just to make sure that we had everything we needed (or wanted). At the same time he always found lots of time to spend with the whole family, and brought me up with good principles. He's also a natural leader and has an extremely strong personality.

Tonnes of memories of him, everything from him coaching my hockey and soccer teams or helping me train in different sports to camping trips or just hanging out at home.

There's a lot more to say on it, and I couldn't say it all here, but I respect him more than pretty much anyone else, and have in the past little while (probably about 2 years) realized how much I have gotten from him. I am very much like him, and that is something I am extremely proud of.

And at the same time, my mom kicks all kinds of ass too. smile.gif

I guess I got really lucky, both of my parents are about the best parents one could have. smile.gif
  • milla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    milla polycounter lvl 18
    camillaandquentinbeach.jpg

My dad's pretty amazing. He's 65 in a few weeks. He took up windsurfing in his late 40s, and a couple of years back was windsurfing some of the best surf Hawaii has to offer with top wave-jumpers and surfers a third of his age. He's a wonderful underwater photographer, and keen skier, and a veteran diver. He's always been a wonderful father to me and my sister, and it's utterly impossible not to like him.

When I was a preschooler he converted a soda bomb into a tiny aqualung and teed up a tiny mouthpiece for a regulator, so my sister and I could lie at the bottom of the pool and make bubbles without making bad smells.

He cried when I got married.

He's completely besotted with my nephew, and is as good a grandfather as he is a father.

I love my father more than I can say.

That picture was taken early this year, just after he began treatment for prostate cancer. He's still going strong, and I thank any intelligent forces that might exist regularly that he had the sense to have regular physicals, and acted immediately on his diagnosis. Men don't need to die from prostate cancer. Most who seek treatment in time do so successfully. That's a message to all you guys who think it won't happen to you.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    my dad spent his whole life getting really old before his time. However, he's about to retire in a few months and is regressing fast. I spoke to him the other day and he was about 7.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    My dad's been dead for almost 15 years. If he wasn't he'd probably be completely amazingly awesome, as opposed to being some dust on a hillside.

Since I can't say how awsome he is, I will say my Mum is awsome, albeit completely dotty - we're going to meet her and her boyfriend in Florida for Christmas. She doesn't live in Florida, she just figured it sounded like a good idea when we suggested it.
    My Father in Law is also awesome, even though I'm still terrified of him. He's a blackjack dealer, I mean that's awesome by default, right? smile.gif
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    How cool is my dad?
    Not too cool :] BUT...I will say, that not growing up with him around was probably the best thing he could have possibly done for me. For that...I am grateful.

Now my mom? My mom is fucking metal. :]
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think I'd be an artist now if it wasn't for my dad. He's a professional potter making hand painted mugs and plates and bowls and so forth, not to mention a 2d artist that I don't think I could ever hope to match. He's always supported my career even though I know he's still somewhat disappointed that I didn't follow in his footsteps. Perhaps one day...

I don't see or hear from him much these days, but he's adopted my dog as his little baby to dote on so he's happy.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    My dad is pretty cool. My folks are living in Saudi Arabia right now and I don't see to much of them.

My dad has always worked very hard, and done a good job (as a geophysicist), and I really respect him for that. He can be a bit pushy and shortsighted, but he is a reasonable guy who has always been there for me when I needed help out.

My folks supported me in my art, but at the same time never had the same respect for art as they did for scientists. Being technically minded, they had no clue how to help me, and could offer no insight into how my life could work for me. That was fine. I figured it out for myself.

One of the funniest things my dad ever told me is that he thought me liking video games was a phase that I would grow out of.

I love and respect my dad. He really taught me a lot.
  • KRakarth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KRakarth polycounter lvl 18
    Well Ive always resented my parents when I was younger as they never let me work towards an artistic career. A few years later and having come into contact with my parents again after a few years gap. My Dad is really cool with his second wife - even if he is still a bit of a bullshitter (sales guy, you know the type) but even so really loving and supportive. My mother however - well what can you say when she recommended to my wife that she divorce me....

Still whats more important to me is being a great dad. Ive come home so that my kids have a dad that is *at home* not moving house every year through their exams (my parents) or away all the time working (my wifes parents) Supporting my kids with whatever they want to do (my daughter wants to do performing arts) spending time with them ( I recently took my 8 yr old and 4 yr old boys fishing).
    It has meant that my career has taken a back seat but its worth it.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Krakarth... sounds like your kids are gonna be saying "My dad is awesome!" in a few years time! laugh.gif

My dad and I get along... well.. if you've seen American Chopper... then yah... it's like some wierd mix between how Paul Sr. treats Jr. and how he treats Mikey. We get into some pretty vicous arguments at times over the many projects we work on at home and at his business, but when it's all boiled over we still laugh about it and get right back at work.

I can definitely say he shaped my mentality growing up, as he went along with me on pretty much every Boy Scout outing he could, taught me how to drive, and definitely taught me (and continues to teach me) the value of being able to do / make / fix something yourself (not to mention the ability to figure out how to do so). His money and time management skills are something I envy and hope to be able to emulate to a degree someday, but his tendency to be a work-aholic at times is something I never cease to rag on him about.

All in all, I have a great deal of love and respect for him, and know he feels the same about me. I hope someday he'll actually retire (50's, and talking with me about starting another company... sheesh) so he can go out to the garage and spend his time doing woodworking with all the tools he's spent countless thousands on over the years. I think we'll have to tie him down in his coffin when he does kick the bucket, cause I can garauntee you if the lid squeaks he's gonna get right back up and fix it so it doesn't.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    my dad has the most extreme dyslexia one has ever encountered, made for a hard life for him, especially as it wasn't diagnosed or even medically understood while he was at military school. His dad pretty much abandoned his mum and his sisters when he was young, and unfortunately the same happened to me and my sister when I was 15.

He now lives in an RV travelling somewhere along the west coast of America, trading native American jewlery and acting in folk festivals. He took a job in a university teaching folk law and story telling, needless to say, he tells a good yarn and can captivate an audience. He knows no such thing as embarassment, which was hard for me and my sister when we were growing up, but then I guess all pairents find it easy to make thier kids embarassed smile.gif

In my childhood, because of his dyslexia, he found it impossible to forge a career for himself. He had many jobs including; Interior decorator, binman, toilet cleaner, forrestry guard, gatekeeper for a castle, flag raiser, HIV aids testing "pat down" guard in Haite Street mobile clinic San Francisco, archeology dig site guard, grounds keeper and others! He's also an awsome carpenter.

His first wife died of cancer when he was just 23 years old.

My fondest memories of him are when he used to come home covered in grass from using the strimmer, and proceeded to explain to us how he hit a few dog turds... Also I praise him for campaigning to get a re-cycling center built in our town.

My worst memories are of him shouting at me and my sister, he's one scary guy and (was) built like a brick shit house. Now he's just a skinny old man with a massive beard. I haven't seen him in years. So I guess he does fall into the category of awesome for his hard life, but he also loses points big time for moving to the United States when my sister and I most needed him.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    My dad created the world from the festering bits of a dead frost giant.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My dad created the world from the festering bits of a dead frost giant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude my dad could so kick your dad's ass!
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    My Dad, is for me, everything that I could ever hope to have. He is a Pilot in the Air Force, sound familiar? He as always been a man that I aspire to, given me the support I have needed, and most importantly, he taught me to fly. No matter what I ever did, he always got involved, weather it was footy, soccer, flying, or recently 3D art and web design, he has been behind me. Not only that, he has the worlds best mostache. Yeah, I said it. Again, everything that I have ever wanted to be is embodied in my Dad.
    Here is a picture of me when I graduated Officers Training school. Right next to me, my Dad.
    08--Sawade.jpg

My Dad was a fighter pilot in Vietnam. He loves the Dixie Chicks. Yeah, hes cool.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i just spent a long weekend visiting me dad down in london, i never had a super close relationship with him as a kid,as he was often out of the country doing research and stuff (cant complain, i got to live in the Sudan because of his work) But since he and me mum split up, and they are both much happier with their new partners, i get on much better.

hes a dude that tells governments how to help poor people in rural areas of africa and asia how to develop their skills and resources.

he used to be a prpper academic type (i know what happened to me i can barely rit me name), one of my fondest memories from highschool, was being told off in geography for not paying attention to a graph we were studying, asked why, i told the teacher, that i was just amused because my dad had written the book that the graph was from.

haha up yours Miss Dodd
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    Cool thread. My Dad and I have a strange relationship. He always seemed to take to my younger brother more than myself. I scratch it up to the activities I involved myself in. While my bro was playing sports I was skateboarding, while he was doing well in school etc.. I chose to lock myself up in my room and draw or play video games til all hours of the morning on school nights. I don't have many fond memories of my father and I hanging out or getting along. Could also be due to the fact that he was a teenage parent and I found out recently that my parents were married only because of us kids. My mother bailed after we both moved out. That just reinforced my decision to NEVER be like my parents. I don't want my kids to tell me they love me, and I just shrug it off because I don't know how to respond(my father did that recently). Anyway, don't mean to sob, cause' I've dealt with it, but hearing these stories makes me quite envious. BTW, I also believe that my upbringing is responsible for my choice of work. I do behavior management for children with autism. I know that they are not my kids, but I feel that I may be giving them something that their parents cannot, or I'm at least giving them a fighting chance at succeeding in society. Sure, they don't all want relationships, it's the nature of autism, but I'm there for those who do.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    My dad was so involved in everything I did growing up, that I dont know how to begin listing the times we shared. He was always there to protect me from harm, was the epitome of a gentleman, encouraged me in all things, always wanted the best for me, and always expected my best efforts. He devoted so much time to me that he rarely had time for himself. But now that I am a new dad myself, I can understand why that was. His joy came from spending time with his family...seeing it grow...and things havent changed to this day.

My dad and I have always been huge hobbiests. One these hobbies is archeology. When I was young, we'd be looking for arrowheads and such, and I would tire out after only a short while. He would then carry me on his shoulders and we'd continue looking. If he found a point, he would many times call me over and have me try to find it before he would ever pick it up. Sometimes he would pass one up in hopes that I would point it out. If I'd miss it, he would pretend like he thought he saw something and would call me back over.

Now I'm 26 and we still share this hobby. I work now, am married and now have a daughter...so we dont get the same kind of time we used to. That makes me sad in a way. And I'm glad Ben started this post...because it makes me really reflect on all my Dad and I have done together. The loss that will someday come...will certainly be one of the most difficult things I'll ever have to bear. (Thanks Ben, for making me cry at work). :P
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    My dad and I don't really get along that often. He worked some 30-ish years at Intel to provide for our family, retired, and now he mostly sits downstairs with his laptop. On the rare occasion we do talk, it's either a) something like "vacuum your room" or b) us trading insults. He's never really dealt with being at home that well, mostly calling anyone who disagrees with him a 'prick,' 'asshole,' 'fucker,' etc. -- I've been on the receiving end more times than I can count.

Even for all that, he spent the greater part of his life trying to make sure we'd live well enough. So, at the least I respect him for that. I just try to not say anything beyond what's necessary, lest he have a fit.

Despite all that, mom says I'm just like him. Scary prospect.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    My dad, at the age of 47, has beat every single RTS game I've been able to throw at him, and on hard too.

Not to mention HL1+BS,2 and GunMan...

He can even kick my ass in Total Annihilation! ooo.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    My dad had a evil black humour and he always made sure there was food on the table. His grey beard was the perfect way to fool me that santa had eaten the cookie and drank the whisky my dad assured me santa drank.

He taught me how the world is and he taught me this early on and I realized that parents are not invulnerable and that nothing is for ever.

I can't really say he was a cool dad; well he left when I was 9 & my brother was 5 and he tried to sell the house we lived in with my mum after he took up with another woman and then stiffed us on child support.

It's my understanding that he was a better husband than a father, my mum has never loved another like she did him and while they were together is was a whirlwind romance, genuine romantic love.

Being a dad though, it wasn't for him so he left and I tried to be my own dad. I'm not really bitter about it, I'm old enough to understand that he lost more than I did as he never got to see what my brother and I became over the years as we grew into men.

The experience as a whole taught me what a kid needs and what a woman needs, because I had time to articulate what my brother, mother and I had lost.

Nowadays I'm living the best days of my life and know it while in the midst of that and every day that I watch my daughter and my wife swell up with warmth , love and confidence in contentment at the rightness of our lives...

...well, I think I appreciate the worth of that more than most so in an odd sort of way, I can thank my dad for that.

Though, I thank my mum a whole lot more!

r.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Me and my dad can't talk about anything serious without getting into shouting matches.

It's annoying and cool at the same time, since we sometimes get lively about it. laugh.gif

But he definitely isn't cool when it comes to art. He's the "You're literally crazy, and you will be a bum if you become an artist" type.
  • Voltare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if it wasn't for my dads not telling my mom that the reason her first child died wasn't the car wreck, but the hydroencephaly until after me, my brother and sister were born.....I'd not be here at all.My mom would not have had any more kids.......