Home Technical Talk

do you believe in love at first sight? (mudbox)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
got my grubby hands on mudbox.
learning time: 5 minutes.
UI: lovely KISS, so clean and unconvoluted, it puts everything else to shame.
ok whatever, off to mudbox.

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    It has some superb features. To be brutally honest, at the minute I prefer Silo 2.0, but I haven't even scratched the surface of MB.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Aren't you somewhat comparing apples to oranges there Rick? Or does Silo II have some kind of geometry painting feature too?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz - yup, it has really nice displacement painting - push/pull, smooth, smudge, pinch with brush sizes, falloff and image based brushes.

You can then generate your normal maps from your high poly projected onto your level 0 base.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Rick: I doubt Silo can handle as many polys, though? Or am I wrong there?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno - I've not had problems yet. Plus you can hide faces - I usually drop down to a low res cage, hide some polygons and when you step back up all the subdivided ones are hidden too.

But like I said, I've hardly touched Mudbox. I reckon Gwot could give you a much better comparison. Certainly Mudbox has great stenciling features and it's lightning fast.

Edit - both packages really show how much Zbrush is missing - I've always felt ZB was sort of a kludge - we used it because there was nothing else there. I'd be very interested to see what happens to the Zbrush userbase after Mudbox has had a year of evolution in the field.
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd be very interested to see what happens to the Zbrush userbase after Mudbox has had a year of evolution in the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, there are tools and workflows available to you with Mudbox that are not possible with Zbrush. Ones that make it very revision friendly. Which is very attractive to Art Directors and the artists alike. I am beta testing Mudbox as well and though I dont want to talk about specifics with Mudbox's toolset I will say that I am a believer and to answer the thread title's question, yes, yes I do believe in love at first site.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im interested in mudbox myself. Though one thing I cant tell from the site.. does it have any painting tools for the mesh or is it specifically just for very high resolution modeling?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    well, i managed to get my copy from.. a less official source. but i'm definitely going to lash out whatever they want for it.
    i think the reason its kept so heavily under wraps is because of competition, hehe.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Rick, are you in the beta for Silo 2.0? Sorry if I missed this, but I downloaded the 1.4 trial and it doesn't have the paint stuff. frown.gif

Although I do have to say that I'm impressed. It feels a lot more natural and smooth than either Max or Maya. (Though I wish I could box select).
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, Silo 2.0 has all this stuff, and I'm a beta tester. I'm also a total Silo zealot, so you do have to beare of my opinions.

smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Tulkamir: You can select with boxes, there's an option to alter your selection method, it's in one of the menus (and is a default keyboard toggle, something like Alt+Shift+S or similar).
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    mudbox is the shit, one word... layers! the layers add functionality no program can touch, just like photoshop, not what other 3d packages call layers where seperate objects are on layers, but actual layers of surface detail, you can even use layer masks. right now i am just using the layers to organize detail frequency. so low frequency detail on a layer, higher frequencies on other layers. but i have been thinking of a highpoly character creation system based on layers, where i have 12 nose layers, and just turn on the one i want, 10 different body type layers, different eyes, mouths races, all on seperate layers. something like a highpoly character machine.
    zbrush = dead
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    its very intuitive and easier to use than zbrush ang agree with arshie smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PROTIP: You can also select faces, and set them to a higher sub-d level than everything else, which is really great for detail work.

Thx to stoof for that.

Flatten has to be my favorite tool, its soooo sexy. I loves it. And the smoothness of the brushes is so much. Lots of cool stuff in this program, need to work in it more.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I Haven't pushed Silo 2 hard enough to see if it can match polycounts with MB, but I will say that it is a damn fine package. If anyone had a chance to try Hexagon 2's sculpting tools, Silo kills it in terms of workflow - it's actually closer to Mudbox in that sense - with the added benefit of a badass set of modeling tools that are well integrated with sculpting.

Silo 2 is going to be really nice for starting out meshes and building them up. Even if it doesn't end up supporting insane resolutions, it will get you to where you need to go before exporting out for detail sculpting. Only reason I haven't tried super high rez stuff in silo is because of its beta state - up until recently it was a little more unstable for med/high rez stuff.

And yeah MudBox is the shit! It kills ZB in terms of flow and polygon crunching! I'm working on mudfiles that ZB just chokes on. I'll definitely be buying this one when it ships.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn sounds so nice.. crossing fingers for a very very reasonable price....

Do the brushes have a smooth line interpolation flow? I hate how the zbrush "pops" around at smaller sizes. Either making a hassle of then doing a smoothing clean up or trying to draw very very slow.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Do the brushes have a smooth line interpolation flow? .

[/ QUOTE ]

yes very much so, i find it much smoother than zbrushes, but there are still some bumpies if you really try, but having to gently caress a model in zbrush, i was blown away by the differnce, it feels like like an actual substance i am manipulating.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    oxynary: you can totally avoid those "z-pops" by switching your tablet into data recognition mode. does wonders for other painting apps, too.

btw. no love at first sight for me. but that was to be expected i guess, i'm just strange...
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Thomasp, what exactly does data recognition mode do? I'm curious now.

*edit: HOLY CRAP!!! It works! I guess Wacom thought it would be smart to have a hidden option they don't explain, that essentially increases the polling of the pen input data. Instant smoothness in zbrush. *shakes fist at Wacom

Thanks Thomasp.

If you have the latest driver, the way to change it is to double click on the tablet icon in your wacom properties window, and you get the option to switch.

poop.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice pro-tip, thomasp smile.gif
    Anything else you're keeping under your hat?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just when i thought i knew everything! awesome awesome awesome.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I don't have zbrush or a wacom, but I'll remember to include data recognition mode in my hopes and dreaks. frown.gif

Thanks.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    data recognition mode ? this might sound stupid but how do i do that ?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go to control panel, open wacom properties.
    Double click on the wacom icon there and you'll be able to set it.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Smoooth.

So getting back on topic, how hard is it to get your hands on a beta copy? Has anyone been rejected? Our crew are interested in having a play with Mudbox but given that we work primarily with hand-held consoles, we really would only be doing it for personal use. Is this likely to be an issue?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I think it depends. I was on the beta at EA, but no longer work there, so no longer have access to it. I tried applying myself, but to no avail. I assume they're more interested in developers than personal use. Just try submitting on the site. Nothing to lose.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah also when you do request, request LOTS of licenses, like 20 or 30. they are trying to market this to big companies so the more licenses you get the more potenial $$$$ they see. if its just one or two seats they more likley to overlook the request.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Mudbox is teh w1n
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    mop & po(o)p: thanks - but... you didn't know about that? how do people deal with the blobs in Z, or the edgy corners in quick strokes in PS7+? no wonder everybody screams for this muddy box thing. my second tip would be to create your own floating UI then. saves a lot of time digging through the menu structure. hopefully we can freely customize the context menu in 2.5.

i'm saving my mudbox comments for when the product is actually released but well, i don't see Z die any time soon.
  • sevenfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sevenfingers polycounter lvl 18
    Seems like a nice package and all.

I'm more interested in this hidden wacom-gem though.
    Is it intuous only? I'm not finding the option in my Graphire drivers.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    mop & po(o)p: thanks - but... you didn't know about that? h

[/ QUOTE ]

How would we? Where is it documented? Not a single person here at work had ever heard about data recognition mode. It's not in the help file, or the documentation as far as I could tell (I searched for it for a good explanation). It doesn't even present itself in the Wacom utilities panel in an easy to find manner. You have to double click the wacom icon, something I tried as a last resort after you told us about it.

Something like this should be a prominently displayed feature. Here's a question, how did YOU originally find out about this feature?

poop.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool tip thomasp.

I hadn't heard of this either, so I looked it up in the manual (searched for "recognition"). Page 96, they label that button as "Single tool mode at maximum data rate. Required by some handwriting recognition software."

They say the default is "Recommended for graphics applications." But I think that's just because they assume you want to use both the pen and their mouse together on the same tablet, in which case you can't use the max data rate.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    poop: i got the tip initially to solve photoshop performance problems. i think it is mentioned on the wacom forums, too. (among other semi-hidden gimmicks in the wacom driver, like tablet calibration).

i was assuming that not many people have that blob-problem and that it's machine dependant. or why else is hardly anybody complaining? i mean it's ridiculous to try to sculpt when almost every brushstroke ends with a big fat dent wink.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    the flatten brush is really nice, but i'm getting a horrible bug,, if i have symetry on, and flatten the left side of the head.. it works fine on that side.. but on the mirrored side it carves a huge hole
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is that wacom tiponly available for intuos users? cause i haev a graphire 2 and i double click the wacom icon and nothing appears. frown.gif tear

07282006011814yi9.png
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Bitmap, you are clicking on the "Graphire 4x5" button, right?

Dunno if it works with graphire or not, but I know I took some time to figure that out. (I am a bit of an idiot though).
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep. i am. but it doesnt do anything
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Indeed. I just checked, it worked with an Intuos but not with a Graphire. Sad times...
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Oh dear.. If i ever were to fall in love after hearing just one sentence from a person it would definately be: "you can totally avoid those "z-pops" by switching your tablet into data recognition mode."

Thanks a million!!!

Oh, and mudbox... HELL YES! i havent really dug into the features yet, i've been using it pretty much exactly like zbrush, and the difference is remarkable. Not to mention the UI. I felt right at home. One thing i'm missing tho is the power of zbrush's zmapper. But then again, i just barely looked at and tested texture baking in MB, it might be in there somewhere for all i know.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    slash, you never know - i might just take you by your word some day. laugh.gif
    sucks to hear that graphire doesn't feature the data recognition mode. good reason for an upgrade, i guess.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm workin on a model, and i selected the polys on the ear to sub more and work on just that ear,, asuming i could sub and work on the ear, then when i was ready to work on the rest of the model i could unselect ,, but it blocked out the whole model but the ear with green, and i can't get that to go away.. i can only work on the ear forever now!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Well then, you better make it the best ear ever seen in a CG community!

Now I'm upset that I can't use this wonderful Data recognition mode! Oh well. I guess that just means it's about time I get myself an intuos!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really can't tell a difrence in DR mode
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo: You need to select the entire model and sub-divide it until its at the same level of the ear, then it will unselected the ear.

I also dont really notice a difference in DR mode with my intous 3.
  • los
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    los polycounter lvl 17
    I put in some MB time, and I have to say Its pretty damn sweet no doubt about it. I hope they could actually compete with Zbrush because, as we all know, Competition brings out the best shit..

After checking out the New Zbrush videos though, I don't know.. Looks pretty damn sweet to me. I'm Just glad they're implimeting some of the same tools that MB has. Im super stoked about the realtime texture modeling, scraping that whole dropping canvas thing.

I'm sticking with Z

Thnx for that wacom tip by the way works wonders