Home General Discussion

What can I do about ...?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
I recently applied for a job position at a studio that will remain nameless for now.
I created a design and the 'director' he liked my design and told me to create it in 3D.

I did that and after a while I was told to create designs based on descriptions for the other variation of ships.

He took up my time and repeatedly requested that I redesign the ship concept that he liked the first time. Go figure, so anyway I sent an e-mail and told him that I lost interest in working with the studio any further.

In the same e-mail I requested that he respect my copyright laws and refrain from using the material sent to him and that I would remove all material of the design plans for the online game he was creating.

Now the design I created is being used in his test/beta releases. I’d rather not see my material distributed in any form and without credit where it is due.

What can I do?
Am I at fault for not having him sign a contract to respect my rights?

Help with any legal mumbo-jumbo would be great!

The design in question is this one:
Full%20Render.jpg

mad.gif

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    I've heard that technically, if you signed NOTHING, then the work is YOURS, at least in the states. When it comes to art, writing, and the like, the artist retains all copyrights and publishing/printing rights unless he/she explicitely signs them over or is under a contract.

Just because he 'suggested' you make this ship doesn't mean it's 'his'.... I think.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    That's the way I see it. I'm sure he was hoping you wouldn't notice, or that you're too poor to sue them. I can't imagine how pissed you are to find this out though. Who knows, maybe the game will do well and you can earn some money out of suing them wink.gif
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    Do you have the e-mails that were exchanged between you guys? I imagine that you could use that to your advantage if any sort of confrontation arrises out of this. Good luck with it either way.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    As soon as you create a work, you own it. As long as you can prove that you created it, and that you did not sign a contract handing over rights to usage, you should be in the clear.

E-mail him and tell him to stop using it, and throw in big scary words like "misappropriation" and the dreaded "litigation".
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everything the guys above me have said sounds right to me. Unless you were actaully paid for the work you did or signed a contact, the rights of ownership on that concept should be 100% yours. I dunno though, I could just be misinformed. One thing that might be worth considering is perhaps working a deal where they use your work and give you due credit for your contribution. Could bring a positive end to the whole scenario and look very nice on your resume/reel.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    and throw in big scary words like "misappropriation"

[/ QUOTE ]

Misappropriation? Do you even know what that means? If he uses a word like that he's just going to sound like he has no idea what he's talking about, because this situation has nothing to do with the appropriation of anything. Words like "intellectual property" and "copyright infringement" would be more appropriate.

[ QUOTE ]
    Unless you were actaully paid for the work you did or signed a contact, the rights of ownership on that concept should be 100% yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, even if you're paid for the work, you still own the copyright unless you sign an agreement that says otherwise. Of course, you won't be able to sue them for using it since they did pay for it, but you're still free to use it yourself however you like (including selling it to other parties) unless you explicitly sign over the copyright. But that's why you almost always have to sign some sort of contract that states that this is "work for hire" and that the contractor retains exclusive rights to all the work you create. But hypothetically, if they don't make you sign a contract, they can't prevent you from selling the same piece of art to other people or using it in any other way, even if they pay you.
  • orahlith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    orahlith polycounter lvl 17
    If the work is being used in a beta that could mean that they plan to use it in further versions of their game. I would recommend doing some extra reading on copyright laws and possibly contacting a lawyer. You should definatly contact him and ask him to cease using your work immediatly. From there if they don't stop, or he tells you they are allowed to or some line of bullshit, that's when you should definatly consult a lawyer. That way you can show them what's going on and ask them if they are allowed to use your work for sure, or NOT for sure, and what you can do about it. I'm not positive but you might be able to find a lawyer who won't charge you for a consultation. (Or ask around and find out if someone knows someone who knows someone who could answer your questions).

You might want to make back up copies of the disks with ALL of your stuff. Sketches, throw away files, anything that's digital with a date in it and then mail it to yourself, include the emails if you can. When you recieve it, don't open it. The post office will then have dated it and that can help proove approximate dates in relation to when you found out they were using your matierial. This is a trick a writer told me for ensuring that you can prove work you created was yours.
  • Leech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leech polycounter lvl 18
    I'm having a hard time believing this studio was offering a paying position.

I believe this was a not for pay type of request gone bad and you don't want them using your ship design.
  • orahlith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    orahlith polycounter lvl 17
    In retrospect, I would like to know what company did this to you so that I can avoid them.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    just ask him for a cut since he used your design. this is by far the most amicable way to approach it. If he refuses you can offer him alternatives.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    blankslatejoe: I do not think that just because someone suggest you create a design; "at least I think" it is really your own design they only said the word ship you are creating the whole design style.

The 'director' is living in Hong Kong, I do not know about oversea laws.

Notman: I hope that is the case I could use some money!;)

Penzer: Yes, I do have plenty of e-mails from beginning to end. How lucky I was to keep them in fact I will be doing this more often. Thanks for the encouragement.

Dfacto: I hope I can prove to whom ever deals with my legal issues that I did create the design in question. I got my family and my significant other to back me up on that. Hope that's enough for them.

WhiteEagle: I would like to have credit, but most of all I would like to get payment on the work if they use it.

KeyserSoze: No exchange in contract or digital signature usage was done. So as you said the work should be 100% mine then he is copyright infringing my design.

orahlith: Check the bottom of this message for the 2nd last e-mail sent to the director. [ QUOTE ]
    ask around and find out if someone knows someone who knows someone who could answer your questions

[/ QUOTE ] I will do that.

The mailing you’re speaking of is snail mail!?! If so I have a lot to print out:).

Leech: Here is a line from an e-mail discussing payment:
    [ QUOTE ]
    We will pay you $25 per finalized illustration- the first couple of assignments will be the various ships in the game

[/ QUOTE ].

I will Pm you the name but the studio is not known it’s new.

Hawken: I might do that, I have to double triple check my options.

2ND LAST E-MAIL:[ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hear that you've lost interest. Your concept will not be in-game nor used in any form at ***** **** from here on and after. Any models based on your concept will absolutely not be used in-game either.

That being said, the models belong solely to the modelers themselves and your concept also still valid to anybody that has previously seen it (since neither of us has signed any agreement and your work was not previously legally copyrighted). I believe we have the right to post our modelers work on our website.

I would prefer not to bring such issues into legal matters, but we could settle any discrepancies by such if we must.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank for replying guys.

Any more comments on this matter is more than welcome.

Oh yea he distributed my design to other users, meaning people he planed to hire using my concept as there design test... mad.gif
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Why don't you just send him an invoice, billing him for the hours you worked?
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    and throw in big scary words like "misappropriation"

[/ QUOTE ]

Misappropriation? Do you even know what that means? If he uses a word like that he's just going to sound like he has no idea what he's talking about, because this situation has nothing to do with the appropriation of anything. Words like "intellectual property" and "copyright infringement" would be more appropriate.

A man took an artist's artwork and is using it for himself without having any right to it because he hasn't paid for it. He has therefore appropriated an asset and is using it illegally.

How does misappropriation not fit the bill?