Home Technical Talk

can you texture without being a modeler?

orahlith
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
orahlith polycounter lvl 17
Yesh. Is it possible to be a texture artist without being a modeler? If so, does anyone have some suggestions on what software or where one should start?

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    It's possible from what I understand, but generally you'd be better off learning the 3d as well. Best to wait for someone who knows more than me on this though.

For the program though, Photoshop is needed. It's pretty much the industry standard for 2d digital art though.

I'd also recommend atleast learning a little bit of some 3d package so you can get a solid understanding of how your textures are being used.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    What do you mean by 'can you' ? You mean professionally? In videogames? There were dedicated texture artists at the last big company I was at sure. But I wouldn't want to be them come the decision making on who to axe in the next big layoff.

Film splits up the disciplines of modeling and texturing far more than games. Generally in an fx or cg animation house you are either a modeler OR a texture artist, rarely both. If you are hellbent on solely becoming a texture artist, I would consider thinking about film. But you'd probably want to learn about shaders too.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    All the artists who make textures where I work, do modelling too.

In short, you *can* be a texture artist without being a modeller, but if you can already do textures, it really helps to know how to model too, and I don't think it's all that hard to learn the basics.
  • orahlith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Per - I mean is it plausable for me to learn how to create textures without being a fantastic 3D modeler. I don't know a lot about the process of modeling so what I'm asking is it possible for me to A) learn how to be a texture objects without advanced 3D modeling and B) Get a job at a company with such skills?

ps-I love your avatar.

Daz - Funny you should mention film. My degree (which I will earn this December) will be Film and Video with an emphasis in animation. I've taked a lot of film classes because my program requires it. So, it would be very plausable for me to pursue a film-related career. I'll have to look into such studios. Thanks.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    If you're looking for a job, you might as well give 3d modelling and UV-mapping a shot, if you apply for a job and another candidate has an almost identical skillset, but they can also model/unwrap in 3d, then you've lost out.

You can only gain from learning 3d - don't be put off by it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You dont have to be a fantastic modeler to get a job, really im sure at some places you dont even have to know how to model at all. But a basic knowledge of modeling and UV mapping would definately give you a much better chance.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Especially important would be the uv mapping. You'd really want to know how to get the most out of your unwrap so you can get the most out of your texture. You wouldn't want someone else doing it for you as they might not see the texture as you would like to have it laid out.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    It's a competative field, you are better off learning as much as you can while still focusing your talents enough to develop some kickass skill.
  • orahlith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :laughcry: I see you found my DA site Per.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    You can't be just a 2D texture artist any more in my opinion.

At least half my texturing nowadays is done in 3D and rendered out. You just can't get the same realism from painting a texture.(although there's still lots of photoshop work to do either way) Especially with normalmaps thrown in.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I wrote a long thing here which was like my first serious post in weeks, then polycount tells me "form is no longer valid" wtf, it's a sign from above.
    Here, you HAVE to learn 3d, so you can model this
    http://www.deviantart.com/view/14509380/

[/ QUOTE ]

happens to me a lot too, just hit the "back" button and all the stuff you typed should still be there.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    So, it would be very plausable for me to pursue a film-related career. I'll have to look into such studios. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a wander around the Industrial Light & Magic creature shop a while ago. They have a completely seperate surfacing/texturing department from modeling. Strangely it was mostly girls in there, and guys in the modeling dept.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    So, it would be very plausable for me to pursue a film-related career. I'll have to look into such studios. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a wander around the Industrial Light & Magic creature shop a while ago. They have a completely seperate surfacing/texturing department from modeling. Strangely it was mostly girls in there, and guys in the modeling dept.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Girls? GIRLS?
    WHOA
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah totally. Made wonder why I was a modeler.....
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Thats all the gals who got the trendy "graphic design" degree and realized how easy it is for women to get decent gigs in the game & film industry.
  • orahlith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thats all the gals who got the trendy "graphic design" degree and realized how easy it is for women to get decent gigs in the game & film industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is most excellent. Does that mean I'm in?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Do both. Get a well-rounded basic skillset, but go ahead and focus more on texturing. There is a lot of bleed over between modeling and texturing. UV mapping would be the most obvious example, and with normal maps being used so commonly, a bit of modeling skill is necessary.

Texturing is a great skill to have, and there seem to be a lot more decent modelers floating around than good texture artist. My opinion is that it actually takes longer to become a kick ass texture artist than a kick ass modeler, but I'm sure many would argue that point. If someone wanted to get started in 3d, I'd probably point them to Photoshop first, and once they were able to do good textures, I'd advise them to learn some basic modeling and UV mapping. You really should be able to cover all the bases.
  • orahlith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm quite proficient in photoshop. Course, it's possibilities are endless. Is there something specific I need to be able to do?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Texturing is a great skill to have, and there seem to be a lot more decent modelers floating around than good texture artist. My opinion is that it actually takes longer to become a kick ass texture artist than a kick ass modeler, but I'm sure many would argue that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed smile.gif Personally I think that's nonsense. But it's kind of a vague sentence. Modelers are indeed ten a penny. There are gazillions out there, but only one Kolby Jukes. There are much much fewer that are in that sort of quality league.

If by kick ass texture artists you're talking about realistic painters in the 'old skool' method of asset creation of painting in light and form, I think that yes, that is quite a hard skill to master. Next gen assets however, don't require anywhere near as much light and form painted into texture maps, so I would argue that that takes a little less skill to achieve exceptional results than the previous generation. It certainly requires more technical know how as time goes on though.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    As a wannabe modeler.. that really depends on what your modeling ryno. Anyone can model a box, but can anyone make a 3d model of alex ross work? These days with next gen, it really takes some talent with modeling because that detail is modeled versus just textured alone.