polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
b1ll polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The Killer Quake Pack from about 1997 had the original portal gun... they just took that idea and added physics wink.gif
    Still looks like fun though.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    you call that a portal? I've seen better portals floating over my bed at night. What?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miguelito polycounter lvl 18
    unfortunately not in multiplayer...

frown.gif
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    ok that Prey vid put me to sleep. now I have drool to clean up.

seriously the HL portal vid was fun and stylish - even though I doubt the gameplay will actually be as actiony, since it seems like more of a puzzle-solving mechanic.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yaaaah, saw this awhile back and they've totally sexified it! RAWR
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i was underimpressed, i mean it looks like it may be kinda fun, but pretty much its that prey mod turned into a puzzle game but with rather non impressive graphics, i would prefer if the games graphics looked more like the little instruction segments with the stick man,, at least that had style, and was not just bad art
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    no way, i prefer thoses hl2 graphix over thoses Prey plastic doom crap look anyday.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    @rhino: i was going to post how cool this is. how much I would enjoy playing puzzle games like that. and how great Valve is for making FPS games fun again. but then you completely depressed me. I'm going to write bad things about you in my diary now.
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    I had low expectations, but that looks like tons of fun. I hope it doesnt screw up my computer like dod:S!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    i want me a portal gun now!

If rhino doesn't like it, then everyone probably will.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    well if it's a puzzle solving game what's the purpose of having uselessly fancy ornamentation ? i know i am being biased because i love valve's games ... but i think this minimalist direction for portal is the right thing ..

anyone noticed the really nice sublte blur and depth of field effects ? every episodic content adds more enhancements to the source engine :P
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    it looked more like a tech demo geared towards showing these nifty portals and physics to me. even then its supposed to be a mini game to ship with team fortress 2 as far as i know
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i don't mind minimilistic graphic at all,, but it didnt look minimilistic, it jsut looked like poor tech demo art with no style or flair,

i also said the game looked like it may be kinda fun,
    i also prefer hl2 graphics over preys,, but portal did not have hl2 quality gfx,

i'm sorry i'm not wow'd as much as some people by someone taking the same old thing but much uglier, and adding a new twist to it,,

i may try it if it ships with TF2 and i may really enjoy it,

GX you claim valve is making fps fun again.. without ever ever playing the game? way to fanboy up.. perhaps you meant to say "atempting to make fps games fun again" because untill anyone trys the game its just a neat idea with mediocre art
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You guys do know that Valve had hired some guys from a mod team that already had this exact gameplay mechanic to develop this game for them, right? I use to have the URL for their old game laying around.. argh..

Rhino, they're maintaining FPS fun on a different playing field. (Note: I did not say 'attempt' smile.gif ).
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Really awesome. I love the graphics, and the portal mechanic looks really fun.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    puzzle games anger me to no end, but it still looks fun to play with for a bit.

Anyone else thinking that gordon freemen will be sporting a portal gun eventually?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    valve releases videos of gameplay, rather than have another studio produce a lame marketing cinematic to get everyone's hopes up. looks like fun to me. if your idea of fun is heavily influenced by high standards of art, your choice. the rest of the world isn't as desensitized by visual standards, and are only looking for a good time. where the visuals lack, the animation and gameplay shine. and the sales show that. and having your tech run on low end PC's is always a plus in the market.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The Killer Quake Pack from about 1997 had the original portal gun... they just took that idea and added physics wink.gif
    Still looks like fun though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazingly Howard Roy is still around, but he moved his interest to mountain bikes instead. frown.gif

For the Prey fans, there's the Portal Wrench
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    You guys do know that Valve had hired some guys from a mod team that already had this exact gameplay mechanic to develop this game for them, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Brome's right--the rather clunkily titled Narbacular Drop
    (page here http://www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com/ ) was independently made, and then Valve picked them up. Portal is basically Narbacular Drop, but with Steam behind it and some decent art direction, instead of quaintly bad as in the original.

I don't really get people bagging on the quality of the graphics, by the way. I want to see those post-processing blur etc. effects get applied to ALL Source games (hopefully we'll see a patch at some point for HL2), and I think it's quite clear that Portal posits the player into a hostile puzzle environment like the movie Cube. Maybe they could have been a little more flashy about it, but I think it looks like fun. Getting to the exit past an obstacle style gameplay is really sort of a comforting throwback to me.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    i like the idea aswell... its like platform goes FPS

looks cool!
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I think it looked pretty cool. Prey's system, so far, only just put you from one place to another (at least in that video, haven't played the game itself, only the demo). This movie actually shows some of the potential that the idea has, different ways to disable turrets and such.

As for the art style, really depends on what it's for. If it's for HL2 Ep2, I don't like it, since it's all way too clean to come across realistically. For a standalone though, it'd be an awesome style of art.
    Though, the character looked as if he belonged to TF2.
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    You guys do know that Valve had hired some guys from a mod team

[/ QUOTE ]

they were actually from a school. Digipen to be exact. it was a senior project that won a fair amount of recognition. They were then picked up just as contracts to get this done unfortunately. I hope it does well enough to warrant them getting jobs there.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    if your idea of fun is heavily influenced by high standards of art, your choice. the rest of the world isn't as desensitized by visual standards,

[/ QUOTE ]

if you would read past what it takes for you to be anoying, you would see i clearly stated my idea of fun is based on PLAYING THE GAME AND HAVING FUN. i have said repeated times that the game looks like it COULD BE FUN, and that i would most likely GIVE IT A TRY, and then i would DECIDE IF IT WAS FUN OR NOT .
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    level textures could use some sprucing up but it looks pretty fun, I almost got a Cube vibe from it.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    that thing would be fun to play with in hl2 itself, trap combine soldiers in an infinite loop, let them build some speed, and then move the exit
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I think it looks great. I thought the programmers behind the Prey portal system were wizards, but apparently their wizardry has reached Valve as well.

I don't know what it is... I know it's a game, and this point is pretty much ridiculous since it's a VIRTUAL WORLD, but the idea of portals like that is completely mind boggling.

I think it looks like a blast, and I'm excited to play it. That motion blur/depth of field effect is so awesome.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i would prefer if the games graphics looked more like the little instruction segments with the stick man,, at least that had style

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing. I would play that game.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Watched it, neat, know it's gonna be a total mind-f**k, which I'm lookin forward to!
  • orahlith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    orahlith polycounter lvl 17
    Are you kidding? I just want to know what happens to the characters!

I mean...

That was really cool. ><
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder if it alows you to create a portal then shoot through it.

pretty cool
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    im pretty sure there are no guns gavku, but yea, of course you could shoot through it. You can shoot through them in prey just fine
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I highly recomend you download Narbacular Drop and give it a spin (see link on previous page). It does all the fancy things you're seing here with 7-8 levels of puzzle solving. Its great fun as long as you're not the type who suffers from motion sickness. Its also quite a small download.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    that looked really fun, i like the art style, maybe a bit more 2001 would be cool
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I'm really excited about this actually. I love psychotic physics puzzles, especially when you can create your own way around the universe. laugh.gif

Slum: Why is the idea of portals mindboggleing? its just a teleporter that has a texture of the destination being rendered rather than a pretty blue effect.
    Even shadow warrior (remember that game?) had teleporters like these. I've been supprised they haven't shown up more.

On the plus side now I can build that hypercube map ive always wanted to.