Home General Discussion

Hack your car for 100 mpg!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
no shit, but you need a prius, this is nuts, i was in the market for a car too. i think with the kit this would be more than worth it. fuck you gas prices!!

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2006/07/01/8380233/index.htm

Replies

• McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Uhh 12500 $$ ! Lets see even if gas was 4 $/gallon ( Very soon ) you could buy over 3000 gallons of gas . The prius gets 50/mpg ...man you would have to do a shit load of driving to make that worth the cost .
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    04.toyota.prius.prf.500.jpg

Looks nice, but it looks like it doesn't have enough leg room, I need a car that I have plenty of legroom in. I'm in the market for a car too, I'm going for a police car-esque lumina or lesabre.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    It sounds like their goal is to get car makers to offer this in their hybrids, which would be much, much cheaper. Sounds great, all they need to do is build them with bigger batteries and extension cords and you get a much more fuel efficient commuter car. I think you need to factor in the cost of outlet power, though, and I'm not sure how expensive that might get.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    plug it into your neighbor's outside outlets.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i thought that hybrids generated their own power?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Haha Prius sucks, better buy some German diesel, they are as or even more economical than the Prius junk and they look better and are propably cheaper to buy to boot.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Toomas, diesel fuel is hard to find in the US.

Shepeiro, hybrids do generate their own power from braking, but that's not enough stored energy to run off of the batteries for most of the time. Highway travel - where you don't use the brakes much - leads to fuel efficiency similar to gas-only cars. Since hybrids cost more, if you don't do much city driving they don't make much sense for most people.

I think that's one reason car makers haven't offered plug-in-hybrids before - there would be a misconception that you would have to plug them in or they would run out of power.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont worry fart power will be here soon,
    eat more curry
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I would love to see electric cars that you can recharge at home. Wouldn't it be funny to see the idiots that forget to unplug the car and have the cord trailing behind them? wink.gif

The way the Prius mod works is, they install additional batteries that you have to plug in at night. The original batteries (that come with the vehicle), stay charged through driving. The mod kit then adjusts the vehicle's engine control module to make the electric motor run longer before switching to gas mode. They use the Prius because it's the only vehicle they've successfully hacked. The other systems are too complex.

ebagg: don't be thrown off by the appearance. I haven't sat in one yet, but many foreign manufacturers are really good with their interior ergonomics. They tend to look small outside, but have plenty of leg room inside. I'm 6'5" and most people are always surprised to see me step out of my Jetta, but honestly, I have to move the seat up a notch or two to feel comfortable.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Saw this awhile back...great idea but $12.5K is robbery for the conversion. The $6.5K offer looks more realistic.

From what I've heard, diesel cars (not pickups/heavy trucks) are running into political obstacles on the import side of things. Need to do some research.

I'm planning on getting a diesel pickup (Dodge 2500) because my bro-in-law and his trucker buddies are making 20% diesel/80% biodiesel mixture out of used potato chip factory oil for $1.50/gallon. I'm getting the Dodge because 2003 and later models don't require much modification to biodiesel (less than $1K for the mod) The only reason they mix in the petroleum diesel is because the feds tax the FUCK out of biodiesel. If you put the diesel in the tank first, then the potato chip oil, the oil is considered an additive and isn't taxed. Plus it smells like potato chips coming out your tailpipe smile.gif
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bio fuels are the way forward.
    normal feul is more expensive to produce than bio fuel made from rape seed, i dont know about the states, but farmers in the UK are in trouble, and we have large amounts of un-used grain, etc.
    i cant wait for cheese injection
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure it depends on where you live, but I read that taking power from the grid at night is about the same price per mile as gas. If you have the money for this though, you may as well go for the whole green lifestyle with the solar panels. Then you may end up with the electric company paying you.

Really realistic tech for this is right around the corner. A lot of major companies have idiot proof, low(er) cost solar cells in the works. Once enough people are feeding into the grid, it will become stupid not to run your car off of it in some way. I suspect either like the Prius here, or alternately using that energy to break water into hydrogen for upcoming hydrogen technologies.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    bio fuels are the way forward.
    normal feul is more expensive to produce than bio fuel made from rape seed, i dont know about the states, but farmers in the UK are in trouble, and we have large amounts of un-used grain, etc.
    i cant wait for cheese injection

[/ QUOTE ]
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your quoting me for cheese injection racing arnt you
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Diesel is illegal in some states in the US! This keeps car manufacturers from making diesel cars, because they couldn't sell them in parts of the country.

Here in Texas, tons of people have diesel trucks, and so diesel fuel is available at well over 95% of the gas stations. Unfortunately, there's only 2 ethanol stations all the way from San Antonio to Austin. Fortunately, there's plenty of Mexican Food restaurants that will give you free biodiesel every day tongue.gif

Usually, you can find a VW or Mercedes diesel car from the 90s for very cheap here... I guess no one likes to warm up their cars?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, but what would this do to the electricity bill for your house? I have no idea, but if my bill went from $140 to $400 a month, plus the large cost of the conversion kit, I don't see how this would end up saving you any money.

Me, I just bike commute half of the time anyway. I'm trying to work my way up to a bus commute to work, then a 7 mile jog home once a week as well. Other than that, with 20 odd pubs within walking distance to my house, I have little use for my car anyway.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Most power plants are still oil burning, but the energy is produced much more efficiently than individual car engines. In the long run it might be cost effective since you wouldn't be using the combustion engine unless you were on a long trip, saving a ton of wear and tear on the car. Other than the suspension parts this car could easily last 20 years. Who has a car longer than 10 years these days though? The car mfrs. have us all convinced that 5 years is ancient for a car. This would work really great if you already had full solar for your house but then the initial investment for solar is also huge. Here's to solar getting better and cheaper.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    my electricity is included in my rent, i always try and find aparments that include all utilities in the rent, so it really wouldnt matter how much power i use it always costs the same. i have been looking at hybrids cause LA pretty much sucks with no car,and everything is so freaking far away.