Home General Discussion

new gig

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
As some of you know I’ve wanted to get into film for some time. I interviewed at several places, some in person, some on the phone. I got one rejection, three false promises, several offers, but none of it really what I wanted at all.

Without even working in film, I think I realized that the grass isn’t greener. From what I saw, working on cg films or fx is exceptionally time demanding work, (it’s a myth that they’re all unionized) often pays much less than an equivalent game job in CA and almost never comes with extra financial potential such as stock options or bonuses. To be fair, most places pay O/T, but I realized that I’d *have* to do the OT to make it up to anywhere near the salary I was making before, hah! Also, generally speaking there is no such thing as character modeling teams, so I was statistically far more likely to be modeling a table than the next digital double in a major Hollywood movie. I await the cries of ‘I could have told you all that before you went to the trouble!’ smile.gif

So, with that in mind, maybe it wasn't meant to be. I’ve joined a brand spanking new videogame startup here in the bay and I am having a blast so far. I have a stake in the company, and I completely own the look of the characters and more, and am in fact also the sole character artist in a company of about 12 people. It’s actually extremely fascinating and exciting being at the start of something so new. The founders of this thing actually have faith in me that I know what I’m doing (that’s their first mistake) and boy, is that a refreshing feeling. I’m not micro managed by 7 different people. It’s just a very small dedicated team of talent making a game, and it feels totally bizarre.
I can’t say what we’re making yet. Maybe in a few months. We’ll be growing in numbers, but not too much.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to share my experiences of interviewing in cg outside of games.

Replies