Home General Discussion

productivity time sink & barricades

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
hello my precious fruitcakes.

i've been trying to be more productive with my art creating. i was looking for advise anyone may have to offer that may help one become more efficient by avoiding time sinks and barracades. time sinks would be moments in creation that tend to pull you in and eat up your time, like getting stuck adding details that don't matter, and a barracade would be moments you come to a wall that either takes extreme concentration and patience to get passed or make you stop entirely only to start again later, such as a constantly crashing program.

i'd like to hear about your time sinks and barracades and how you've delt with them. i'd just like to concentrate on issues within the actual creation process. so internet forums and gay pr0n sites (per), need not be discussed.

my goal is to create a discussion where people can present issues that prevent them from being a better production artist and tricks or tools to circumvent them can be offered as a solution.

-kp

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    my favourite timesink+barricade, is setting up baking from high to low poly models, on complex designs. they take a long time and hurt my brain.

how i overcome it. very WIP
    by working bit by bit.
    i usually start without using a cage in my projection, then i see what needs fixing (some corner vertexs go wrong way, ends of cylinders), and go through the model section by section getting each bit right, and peicing the results together in PS. this seams to work ok, but ther can be more issues with seams then by producing a single map in a single pass.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now I'm working out procedural workflow issues, designing new tools, spec'ing things and such. Creative but not really artistic.

Anyhow the sinks and barricades are mostly mental, so I find it helps me to skip around from task to task, temporarily shelving the tough bits, stuffing them into my subconscious. Usually by the next day solutions manage to pop into being.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I've found that it can really pay off to learn the basics of normal map editing solely in photoshop. A lot of time can be saved if you can just paint in small details like cloth stitching and skin folds.

Another normal mapping time saver I've found is that putting your UV seams along actual seams or intersections on the character can make a huge difference. I used to place equal importance on minimizing stretching and have reasonable seams, but I've realized that putting a higher priority on keeping seams in natural areas (cloth stitching, real hard edged areas on the character) and accepting some stretching (within reason) works out very well when using normal maps. This probably seams... seems... pretty obvious to some people but it took me a while to figure out and has really improved the overall quality of my finished models.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i find working on 5 or 6 things at once is a great time saver, if you find your self tooling around too much on one piece go to the other one. start working on something different, then when you get stuck on that one, go back to the other one or the next one. the break helps you come back to it with a clean slate, staring at the same dumb model for 8 hours is not progress.

at work now i refuse to work on one thing at a time because its just so wasteful time wise. if i have 5 or 6 things i can knock out all the modeling at once, then the uvs, then texture or rig. way better than having to swtich gears right when your in the groove of modeling or texturing. its something i picked up in art school having 5 to 10 projects at a time, you have to work on all of them at the same time, if you get caught up in one piece you will never finish any of them in time.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my biggest timesink is currently my day job, i think ive found a way round it though, yesterday i slept in to 11 in the morning (alarm run out of batteries), when i rang up Blah sorry blah my boss said dont bother coming in till after lunch.... yay an hour or so to get some high poly loving and a falafel....

...if i just do this a few more times, i might get a whole lot more time off =D
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    SHEP.. hahaha, I'm 'suffering' the same situation. My day job as QA is cutting into my time for doing 3d art, my better-paying (yet less frequent) network admin job, and the zillion other things I seem to manage to get involved in. When I'm actually working on 3d stuff I tend to have a lot of things going on (tv, music, IRC).. working without distractions actually distracts me, oddly enough. tongue.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) Designers who can't make up their mind what to do until the last min which happens to be 3 weeks past their deadline and a solid 1.5 months of bugging, begging and suggesting ideas from the art dept. Only to have them all shot down and being told to wait. Then said designer gives the art team a half baked idea and starts laying blame on the art team for being behind. Once we get the half baked idea we re-suggest our original ideas and they are approved.
    - Solution: Murder.

2) Textures, unwrapping and blending textures using vertex paint.
    - Solution: Teach the 2D artists to unwrap.

3) Touching up textures and rearranging UVmap pieces to fit on smaller textures to improve render times and the look of textures.
    - Solution: More training for the 2D artists to be more efficient when they unwrap and more Photoshop training for said 2D artists...

4) Render times. Since all the work I do is pre-rendered or cinematic, quite a bit of time gets spent running test or final renders. Even at 15fps 3min of animation takes a really really really long time to render.
    - Solution:
    Long term: Talk to IT about setting up a small network render server.
    Short term: A few boxes sit unused, cobble together a small render farm on your own. Set up text message alerts when a job finishes (often on the weekend) so you can go in and get another one started. Just because you are not at work doesn’t mean your computer(s) get a break. Use plug-ins to chain render multiple files, cameras, frame ranges, and automate post production effects. Also render without textures, effects or do just wireframe renders.

5) Losing focus and having trouble remembering all the cool new ideas I had the day before.
    - Solution: Do mini a walk-thru of each environment I am working on, at the end of each day. Take notes, and take those notes home with me. Review the notes on the morning commute while stuck in traffic. Often I can build off of new ideas I get after a night away from it.
    - Solution: Budget your time. Create a "fix/bug list" of things
    - Solution: Bouncing from project to project helps give me new ideas about old problems. Sometimes I get bogged down on the technical side of trying to fix a certain problem and overlook the simple approach, which is normally throw out what you have and start from scratch. That’s when I notice I need to bounce to another project.

6) Working on a solution to a problem and getting way-laid by someone walking up wanting to “chat”.
    - Solution: Headphones and telling the person, “sorry buddy I’m really really busy” “no really stop talking” “I’m going to turn around now and pretend you are not here” “stop poking me, I am not going to turn around” “I’m sorry I broke your fingers and made you eat your pinky”.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig, re #4, maybe you could set a policy where everyone sets their machines into render nodes when they leave at night. A bit more work since you have to manage the changes since each node of your render farm is being messed with every day. But there's a lot of processing power just idling around. We did that at Mondo when I was there, before we setup a farm.

Also, came across this cool app recently, 3dsmax Dialog Skipper, could be super-helpful for net render jobs. It's just been updated to send email alerts, among other things. It isn't on Martijn's site yet, but fire him an email if you're interested, and he'll probably hook you up. Totally saved my ass recently, for a game-batch-export job.

Cool thread btw killingpeople.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Are you using Max? Any machine with Max 8 installed automatically acts as a mental ray satalite node, I'm pretty sure.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I suggest when it comes to 3d learning the ropes of XSI, Max and Maya, and decide which compliments you best. Personally I prefer Maya for its great context-sensitive quick menus and the ol "repeat operation" g key.

Maintain your computer, virus scan, disk cleanup, deleting temp internet files in internet options, and defrag, defrag, defrag to avoid your computer slowing down too much.

Personally when it comes to churning out work, I do it a helluva lot faster when there's a set deadline to work towards, such as forum contests, where you see others making progress along side you. As much as I love creating 3d, if there isn't a deadline telling me "THIS NEEDS TO BE DONE NEXT WEEK" I more easily get caught up in little distractions like checking emails or the latest trailers on quicktime.com.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup we use Max8, great ideas guys I'll look into all of that! Looks like I'll be chatting with our network admin, we have a funky set of permissions that are getting in my way. It looks like we might be able to set up a network policy where if someone who has Max installed logs out that workstation gets turned into a node. I think this is what you where talking about Eric? Or where you thinking more of a polite policy?

Also the link to Martijn's site gives me a forbidden error. From the main page the maxscripts section is "under construction". I'll hunt around using his name and see what I can find. Do you have the name of the plug-in, that might make the search go a bit smoother?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, messed up the link, meant to remove the \download. It's an executable, not a plugin, a separate app that monitors all window events that Max creates. You decide which popups to OK or Cancel through, saves a ton of frustration.
    3dsmax_dialog_skipper.gif

Workstations, we used to have to manually click the render node button on each person's machine, so the net mgr could see it. So yeah it was a polite policy. That was long ago tho, tech may have improved since then.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    I will just comment on my daily routines rather than getting too specific on certain applications. Generally I find that I am far more productive by listing my tasks in little chunks. I keep my dairy open on my desk everyday and just write down the days goals.

In terms of my 3d/2d work I might break it down like:
    - Texture front bumper
    - Do rear window logo
    - Model mirrors

and so on. Sometimes if it's a particular project I am not enjoying at the time I will go as far as to number these lists according to difficulty and proceed to do them from most difficult first in this order. Maybe some people would consider this approach anal, but it works for me and is rewarding at hourly intervals or however long it takes per mini task.

I find that if I don't organise myself this way then time is easily lost.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me- nah setting out what you gotta do is not anal just sensible, esp with larger projects, at the moment i getting a bit swamped with the high poly modelling for my tank, so i spent an hour last night, writting a list and making designs for the last important sections.

this takes it from a mamouth amount of work into managable chunks (being able to see the light at the end of a peice/ project is always a good boost)
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    i cant stand making selection sets for really complicated patterns and designs i have to texture so i wont get any bleeds.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I will just comment on my daily routines rather than getting too specific on certain applications. Generally I find that I am far more productive by listing my tasks in little chunks. I keep my dairy open on my desk everyday and just write down the days goals.

In terms of my 3d/2d work I might break it down like:
    - Texture front bumper
    - Do rear window logo
    - Model mirrors

and so on. Sometimes if it's a particular project I am not enjoying at the time I will go as far as to number these lists according to difficulty and proceed to do them from most difficult first in this order. Maybe some people would consider this approach anal, but it works for me and is rewarding at hourly intervals or however long it takes per mini task.

I find that if I don't organise myself this way then time is easily lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto.

I just write a list every day, and carry uncompleted items over to a new list the next day. Far better to do this on paper, for some reason.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    neal's got an excellent suggestion--lists, simple as they may seem, do wonders for helping you stay on task and remind you to get to the next one if something is taking too long.

along with lists, i suggest self-imposed time limits for certain activities if you know that you tend to take way too long on them. cause you know there are always going to be some of those time sinks that get the better of your time before you know it... so you can help yourself stay on top of that (or at least be more aware of the time spent) by saying, "ok, so i'm detailing this piece but i don't want to spend too much time on it. i'm going to give myself until 2:00 to do it." tends to make you work a bit more efficiently, and once the time limit rolls around you can evaluate whether or not more time is warranted on the piece or if you should come back to it later.

now something i know i need to work on but other people on here like Daz have mentioned for being greatly beneficial to working better is to take regular breaks. might seem counter intuitive, but the idea is that you regularly break every hour or so just for a few minutes--clear your head, blink and roll your eyes around a bit, stand up and get some water or something--and thereby keep a better handle on how your time is spent and actually end up working more efficiently, since you can better focus on each chunk of working time.

since when you take an entire work day as a whole, it can either seem daunting, or just as easily get wasted by getting caught up in only a few tasks that you know you shouldn't be spending that time on.

ok enough compulsive advice giving for me. i should be asking right along with you for tips since i've got a fairly rubbish work ethic myself laugh.gif
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

I just write a list every day, and carry uncompleted items over to a new list the next day. Far better to do this on paper, for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me - with my terrible memory, the act of writing burns that information into my brain. Plus I have a meticulous archive of all the tasks I've done - very handy for when other people need those details.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

now something i know i need to work on but other people on here like Daz have mentioned for being greatly beneficial to working better is to take regular breaks. might seem counter intuitive, but the idea is that you regularly break every hour or so just for a few minutes--clear your head, blink and roll your eyes around a bit, stand up and get some water or something--and thereby keep a better handle on how your time is spent and actually end up working more efficiently, since you can better focus on each chunk of working time.

[/ QUOTE ]

not suprising laugh.gif it's EU law. Called "screen breaks". Basically under EU law, computer users are entitled to 15 minute breaks every hour. Not that everyone can realisticlly follow this law, at my old place of work we pretty much stuck to it.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    i find working on 5 or 6 things at once is a great time saver, ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, I actually sit in at a table surrounded by 5 computers. I run a 1 limb per workstation workflow, it works pretty well hahaha.

Nah, I agree with that totally. I always like to have 2-3 things going on at once. I'm not sure how much it actually improves my (student) workflow, but I find that I mentally feel a lot better this way. You get to avoid the stress of getting hung up on things, plus if you work on 2-3 things at once you'll get a day where you finished 2-3 things in one day. When you feel better about working, it's easier to work harder.