Home General Discussion

homworld 2

noritsune
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
noritsune polycounter lvl 17
any polycounters work on it? I just played it a bit this evening and still cant get over what a beautiful style that game has. breathtaking.

Replies

• kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I have to agree... I only played the demo of HW2 but HW1 I used to leave running on a spare machine as a fully interactive 'screensaver'. Loved the music as well.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Both Homeworld games were sexy. I love all of Relic's stuff, including the Ground Contorl games. I'm not sure if anyone here worked on them or not, but they're still sexy smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I find the photoshop drawings a bit dodgy but the game it's self is a wonder! I used to output it to my TV and just leave it running.

one thing I noticed is that it's really fun to use the wacom pen in selecting ships, but when switched to the other mode where you zoom out, the wacom input goes haywire. I wish there was some kind of patch for that.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Homworld? Is that Homsar's own game?

homsarcharacter.PNG
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    As much as I love the games graphically, the interface always wore on me. (That, and the enemies always seemed to ramp up in difficulty more quickly than I could manage.) I picked up a copy of it not too long ago and played again, and got about as far in (i.e. not far). And then it hit me what bugged me about the controls... it's like playing a game with Maya's controls! mad.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Bunch of guys I work with are from Relic - one of the lead programmers for Homeworld 2 just started here.

Homeworld 2 and 1 were awesome games.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Also I might mention that I have the book that inspired most of the space ships!
    Called: "spacecraft 2000 to 2100ad"
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool. I got that book for 50 cents from an Amnesty International charity sale. Always wondered what storyline it belonged to. I wish I could find it to make some comparisons.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I used to play a lot of Homeworld multiplayer when it first came out. Homeworld 2 multiplayer was fun too, although they broke my strategy.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'd have to say it's my favorite RTS series, as much as the nostalgia of command and conquer or warcraft has on me, Homeworld was stunning visually and had some great new tactics. Never played Homeworld online much, I heard it often was "build up super fleet, then warp right on top of the enemy's mothership and kill" sort of affair. I beat the original and Cataclysm but I need to go back to Homeworld 2, last time it was giving me odd crashes to the desktop.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never understood Homeworld enough to be able to play it well although I figured out that minelayer corvettes were the most effective way of pwning supercapitals.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I loved that game. Gorgeous visuals, and great soundtrack as previously mentioned. I'd never run it just "as as screensaver" but I downloaded and would loop the music constantly while I was doing artwork.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I used to have the homeworld demo running on our high-end configuration at the computer store, I was able to sell quite a few computers that way.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    The only thing I don't like about Homeworld 2 is that it is painfully slow. You can play for hours and only have a few confrontations.

Other than that it rocks my socks.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    painfully slow? hw2? cant say I agree really. maybe the time just flew by while I was drooling over those lonnnnggggg lonnnngggggg colorful contrails.

btw, has anybody found the homeworld 2 soundtrack available anyplace? it was super nice - a few tracks from the cutscenes I would love to listen to without the voiceovers. either the soundtrack or a tool to dissect the music file, I guess.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    In SP (I dont like Multi), on the 1st game anyway I used to have those cloaking ships, and some repair frigates just roam around with a scout. Find a nice big enemy ship, draw him away from his buddies with the scout, and then snatch him away under the cover of invisibility. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. I'd capture an entire armada with barely a shot fired.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    The only thing I don't like about Homeworld 2 is that it is painfully slow. You can play for hours and only have a few confrontations.

Other than that it rocks my socks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm... the original was slow...then they added the super nice ability to slow down time or speed it up! crazy.gif