Home General Discussion

Recent Game Art Grad LFW

DaNickerson
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
DaNickerson polycounter lvl 17
Hi, my name is David Nickerson I have just recently recieved my diploma in Game Art and Design. I am currently looking for work as an Environment and/or Texture artist. if interested in my Demo Reel it is on my website

http://www.danickerson.com

May take a minute to load on the site though you could always "save target as" the link at the bottom if you are to busy to wait for the load. My resume and contact info is all posted on my site. Critique greatly accepted and appreciated.

Replies

• motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    This should probably be in the Pimping and Preview section of the forum..

besides that: by the time your vid has loaded i was bored and had moved on to other portfolios. I highly suggest you add 2d images and a gallery for the user to browse and then if they want more, d/l the reel.

#2 why in the world do you have your tutorials as .doc?
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I second that... add a gallery, because your reel is monstrous.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think its necessary to list what High School you went to in your Resume, and that you're Food Safe...plus you might want to revise the look of your website, and size of your demo reel. You list Adobe After Effects in your known software, yet your demo reel is around 80mb as a quicktime file, which makes me assume that you really don't know After Effects. From the look of the website I also have to question the 8 years of Photoshop use-age you put in your Resume since parts of the website were created using filters.

I'm downloading the demo reel now, and I'm going to look at it when it finishes (in about a half hour).

Edit: Ohh and get rid of the "Enter Website" page. There should only be an "Enter Website" page if you're giving the viewer more than one option to view (like a Flash or HTML only version). And the reel should've definately been less than 86mb.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    i finished watching your gigantor demo reel, i think you could start cutting the size by removing the reference images and the "special thanks" bit at the end, never really saw the point in those

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=73945&an=0&page=0#Post73945
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Environment Artists don't need no stinking demo reels! Like everyone else says dump the splash page, put up a gallery, and don't ever write on your site in the 3rd person. Also, I didn't watch the reel cause it took too long.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, also, your demo reel is like 320x240... without a gallery, it's impossible to tell how detailed any of your stuff is in a choppy 320x240 video.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    im with everyone else, the reel isnt the most effective way to show off game art... stills are usually better, so that way they can quickly be saved, forwarded, passed around the office, etc.

As for the work itself, your presentation/site looks nice, just fill it up with even MORE game art. keep at it!
  • DaNickerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DaNickerson polycounter lvl 17
    Hey thnx for the reply and critique, I apolgize for the size of the demo I just got my site up and had to put my reel up there temporarily. I actually rendered the batches out from Premiere Pro and wasnt quite sure which compressors would kill the quality or not so I just went with what looked best. Any suggestions because mpeg for video is kinda big. I will be posting screens and work in progress within the next couple days and i will redo the compression for the video size. Also i am first time posting here so i will post my next one in the Pimping and preview section. One last thing, my original demo reel is 720x480 and i have multiple copys on DVD and would gladly send them out if someone would like.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Use After Effects if you can to export it out as a .mov, and use Sorenson 3 compression.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    .avi in divx or xvid are both good!