polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
No, nothing to do with C&C.

Link

The engine needed to play it

Screenie:
screen009.jpg

It doesn't look great, the textures are just rudimentary affairs but I know I won't get anything done if I try too much to get decent graphics going (the map is not part of the mod).

Get NTAI and set the unit limit at least to 1000 if you want to try it offline.

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    As I said on the Spring forums - DAMN fun mod. Can't wait until if progresses more.
    I'm actually digging the simplified look of the units, even if it is temp art. With the chaos that ensues in your mod, it's hard to stop and look at the artwork smile.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    could you give us a description of the mod? Your link didnt explain what it was, or if it did it wasnt english...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a pretty fast RTS (not like Spring can do more than RTS...) mod, bases consist of one kind of ressource building and two kinds of factories, the basic units (drones, equivalent of infantry) are dirt cheap and quickly produced in large numbers, highly mobile and easily destroyed while the bigger units (equivalent of tanks) are slower moving, very durable and very big.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR - one thing I'm wondering is how to use the orbital weapons?
    I've never been able to launch them, even though I had the radar dish and commander vehicle frown.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    hey kdr, I might be game to make a few rts units sometime in the next month if you want some help. I need some really low poly stuff in my portfolio.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago: The Assault Coordination Vehicle requires 20k, the Orbital Uplink 45k energy storage.

aesir: I don't think I'll need help yet. Never mind that Spring has nasty features like requiring segmented meshes and not supporting animations (you have to do any animations through the script).
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go Go Quaternian animation! woooo! hehehe
    Yeah, the Spring engine lacks, for sure.

And thanks for the clarification, KDR. Now I can nuke some biznitches. smile.gif

On a side note, when using NTai with your mod, I get HUGE lag spikes. This happens not too long after that AI first sees my units. It becomes unplayable shortly thereafter. I get delayed-synch responses, and my offline "ping" jumps to 20,000 or more. frown.gif

I tried using KAi, but by the time I'm ready to attack, it's only built a factory and 2 drones :P
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BTW, I think Caydr would appreciate it if I told you that that energy bit was in the manual.

Quaternion rotations? Is that a wish or a feature I just couldn't find in that mess they call "documentation"?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    lol, scripting an animation sounds painful...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoL
    Thanks, KDR. I think I skipped over it quickly in order to try it. smile.gif
    You're pretty much the only person who has actual MANUAL files. Everyone else sticks them into readme's, which 1/2 the internet ignores, anyways.

Quaternian animation is basically what spring uses. Simple position/rotation data with segmented meshes. No vertex animation/morphing, etc. =\
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skeletal animation uses quaternions to describe the bone rotations. Spring (at least the parts I've seen documented) uses a three-axis system which limits the possible rotations AFAIK. If it had a way to use quaternions for animation I'd simply write a script that turns a skeletal animation into a .h file for the unitscripts. I'll still try that but I don't think it's going to work without quats.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, my bad.. frown.gif
    The first game I worked on used quaternian animation and interpolation (apparently), though for my object animations I had no bones.
    I got hosed :P
    Good luck with getting Spring to take those anim files. Would be interesting if it worked smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think it'd be too difficult (provided I can get the rotation format converted). Adding script hooks to have e.g. torso twists could be done via #define commands.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, i'll have to give this a shot... bringing back the one-man modding in style, eh, KDR? smile.gif