Home General Discussion

Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Marine polycounter lvl 18
great movie, easily more fun than superman returns. the ending was a bit of a let down, it was too much "hah, now we can make you wait for the last movie, and tease you with dangling plot lines".

davy jones looked pimptacular, the kraken was cool (first time it showed up, two kids ran out of the cinema laugh.gif ) and depp kicked ass.

Replies

• eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet! I've been looking forward to this one. Good to hear I'll get my monies worth.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea, I've been looking forward to this movie more than any others for the last half year.
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    Me too, i didn't even bother seeing superman on its opening night, but with this one, i won't mind standing in line for a good seat in the theater.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Our whole company is going to go tonight... dressed as pirates.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I just realized that one other interesting movie just came out. "A Scanner Darkly"
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    the first film was the worst time i'd been forced to spend in front of my own TV screen in the last 10 years. The whole Pirates of the Carribean thing is conclusive proof that the government are putting worms in the water supply that travel to the brain and gleefully bugger it with their little barbed cocks
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the first film was the worst time i'd been forced to spend in front of my own TV screen in the last 10 years. The whole Pirates of the Carribean thing is conclusive proof that the government are putting worms in the water supply that travel to the brain and gleefully bugger it with their little barbed cocks

[/ QUOTE ]

pfff whats not to like?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Off to see it in a couple of hours. Looking forward to seeing Keith Richards and some ILM goodness.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    motives - it's odd i know, i also really enjoy paper cuts to the glans and rubbing vinegar thistles into my eyeballs. But for some reason, pirates of the carribean didn't click with me
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Keith Richards isn't in the movie until the 3rd one I thought.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I'm probably wrong then, it's happened before.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    pfff whats not to like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it obvious, Dan's a ninja.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meh, it was alright.

Didn't have the same feeling I had after the first one.

Maybe because the concept isn't new anymore.

Still, rather enjoyed it, but a bit too 'silly' at times for me.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    it was some good visibles, with a decent plot, horrible writing, but chock full of tons of things falling down to make the kids chuckle. i need to watch the first one again cause i don't rember it being so much a "cartoon" i wanted to like this, but really just found myself wishing for it to be over.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    It felt like I walked into the middle of a movie and left before the ending.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    i thought it was good fun, but then again i liked the matrix reloaded... it wasn't the two towers, but i still had lots of fun, i'm sure the third one will kick ass, but honestly i don't think it needed a sequel, i think the first movie would have been fine on its own.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If they left it at the first one where would I get my horribly over priced merchandise?
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i liked it a lot better than the first one. there were some parts i thought dragged on way too long (the 3 way on the beach wink.gif ) but other than that it was good.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If they left it at the first one where would I get my horribly over priced merchandise

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmm. Do you think chicks would dig piratey bedsheets?
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Extremely fun visually. I had a good time but was very disappointed that it was a bridge movie. The second Matrix Movie was ok as a bridge because it was very clear through marketing that it was part of a trilogy. I had no idea going into this one that that was their intent.

- BoBo
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Just saw it, Was A lot of fun.

Cant wait for the next one, Anyone know when?
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    thought it was great though it did seem to lack something the first had.

b1ll: they are filming the 3rd right after the second. though from what i've read without a completed script which has me a little worried about it.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    Justin: i guess you are right.. I mean its obvious he isnt a viking. Cus we all know they kicked the UK:ers ass all night long muahahah!

(heads for cover)

on topic im still waiting for the movie to premiere here in sweden..
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    A lot of fun and it looked great but urgh, toooo damn long. I hope this trend of 2 and a half hour movies stops. Nothing can hold my attention, nor indeed bladder for that long.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I loved it it was fun, and looked great. I was impressed with the crew of the flying dutchmen/ I really really really like the great detail given to the ship also. I liked the sound the tenticals made when they moved around the ship.

But I do have a few MINOR beefs;
    <<<<SPOILERS BELOW!>>>
    1) Jack made the pact at NIGHT to deliver 99 souls to Davey Jones within 3 days. The black dot returned durring the day when he was talking to whats her face. Technically the souls where not due till later that night or the dot was pretty late?

2) The beast, whatever it was called sinks the first ship in 5 seconds. But the rest of the ships are about the same size but it takes it longer, it doesn't even suffer any major wounds that would slow it down till the last attempt. It should have been really mad from the first attempt and just sunk it fast.
    2a) There are some really bad scenes of the real tenticals green screened over the mast of the ship.

3) The little wager game they play shows us the dice inside the cups before they where revieled. It looks like they actually revieled the dice (to the audence only) so I was kind of confused why the characters kept betting, then revieled the dice again but this time to the characters. Could have been solved with simple CSI zoom into the inside of the dice cup. They did a matrix bullet thingy they can do a CSI zoom.

4) Durring the hamster wheel scenes (both the crew in the ball and the three in the water wheel), someone or everyone would have had a limb forced outside and crushed by the ball/wheel.

5) The 20 kid birthday party of 7 year olds and the parents who thought it a good idea to give them all candy, and 20oz sodas. Tons of sugar, caffine, and liquid sugar are great ways to keep kids quite, still, and keep them from getting up and climbing thru a packed theater, over the railing and using my arm rest/head as a foot hold. That happened twice the second kid was yanked up by the parent person before I had a chance to throw him. Then there was the repeating of lines very loudly and constant chatter about little kid stuff. One broke out into tears once when the guy was sucked throw the ship and once when they did a close up of a crewmen looking mean. 7 years old seemed a bit old for tears, but whatever they all seemed spoiled.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I read a while back after the release of the first movie that Depp had been in contract to do 3 movies. So I wasn't expecting to see the entire story line closed off at the end. But at the same... I was slightly disappointed at the ending. The movie being so long made it even worse. There were a handful of times in the movie where I swore it was about to end.

The CG was really good.

At the end I was glad I chose Pirates over Superman.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    "suspension of disbelief" is my reply to all your issues with the movie

its not hard to poke holes in the waterwheel fight heh

I loved it and cant wait to see the last one... great characters, great story, great art direction

edit: and yah kids suck, had some behind me at the theater with similar results
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Great movie - actually liked it more than the first film. Davey Jones' character worked SO well and was believable.

Also, the movie just had the #1 opening day in history:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/?page=single&p=.htm
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Another movie I liked? Has the world gone topsy-turvy? I've got no complaints, could this be a reverse in the trend of sequels sucking?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    A good movie, but no where near as good as the first. It was a bit of a let down as far as that went. I've seen most of my problems with it mentioned already.

The visuals were damn nice though, was very impressed with em.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    It was a fun movie. Lots of great visuals. CG was top notch. I'm assuming this movie is a bridge to an amazing finale in the third installment.

I will say, I wish they had focused on more new material, than rely on so many of the gags from the first. But, perhaps we'll see that in the third. It would be tough to create a perfect trilogy unless all three films were written in advance...like the LOTR.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    That movie absolutely effing ROCKED. All the plot twists and turns, the comedy was great, the action was greater, and the acting was superb. The length of the film didn't bother me at all, and I honestly kept hoping that it wouldn't end. This is one of those rare gems where a sequel actually manages to surpass its predicessor, and with the finale promissing to be just as out there, I cannot wait.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    The movie was balls out FUN!!! I cheered, hooted and hollared the whole time, and a smile never left my face. It was pure escapism. I love movies like this. Superman felt too long, but this movie had me enjoying it till the end. Go Go Depp power! The Jamaican woman was my favorate.

poop.gif
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it over the weekend, was pretty good.

spoilers...
    Jack seemed less impressive in this one than the first. His character just doesn't seem the same, which is what I really liked about the first one. Few parts were a little dragged out and were kinda silly for the sake of being silly. Watching the wheel turn several times got ridiculous. The constant gags referencing the first got a little cheesy. The two bad pirates all of the sudden saying they're willing to risk their lives to bring Jack back when they were ready to kill him in the first is a little inconsistent. But how is the monkey still undead? The curse was lifted. And how is Barbosa back? He died!
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I second Soccerman18's post. I like the movie, but they Captain jack lost me when he sucked toes.
    and I don't like the love triangle thing they got going. I liked the first movie better, and I think it all has to do with Geoffery Rush, Barbosa kicks ass, he's pretty much the only guy who could say "yarrrrr" for no reason and still be cool.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    *really fun movie. Davey Jones and his crew were awesome. Captain Jack Sparrow is probably one of the best characters created in many many years. i regret not seeing the first one on the big screen frown.gif

i didnt feel it was too long. felt the same as the first one. my only complaint with the length comes from the packed theater and not being able to stretch my legs like i normally do. my knees were killing me by the end.

anyone else noticed how sublimely the plot of Dead Man's Chest will fit into Kingdom Hearts 3? also Davey Jones' music box looked like it had the same patterns as the Heartless heart from KH. heh, asherr even thought Jones' key looked like it would be a good keyblade.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    SPOLIER!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

But how is the monkey still undead? The curse was lifted. And how is Barbosa back? He died!

[/ QUOTE ]

watch after the credits of the first movie. the monkey steals a piece of treasure. i assume Barbosa was teetering on the brink of death at that point.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    hmm, the first one was a Snooze fest. hopefully this one is better