Home Technical Talk

bsp export

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
oobersli polycounter lvl 17
I've looked all over but ended up with dead ends, but does anyone have a link to where I might find a .bsp plugin for max so I can export to a .bsp format?

Replies

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    what game engine are you planing to go into? BSP comes in many formats. T3D(i think) for the Unreal engine 2.x, .MAP for Quake and a couple of others, .DIF for Torque. All are binary space partition (BSP) formats.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.maple3d.com/GLB2Page.htm

allows to generate .map for hl/quake...

be aware that the actual .bsp file is the result of a compiling process specific to the engines. so you will need q3map tools or other compiling stuff, that turns the .map to .bsp
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah, I'm a moron, yes, for unreal 04. thx for the info.
  • Husch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Husch polycounter lvl 18
    With Jamlander, which is a plugin for 3d Max,
    you can export to Unreal BSP format and other
    formats (static meshes) too:

http://www.fireproofgravy.co.uk/index.php?item=jamlander&sid=a205d9c3
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    I was under the impression that Unreal can import OBJ files as a build brush or static mesh.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, ya know I've never tried that before. Have to look into that. thx.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Wow! Jamlander sounds pretty cool. I'm gonna have to give that a try. *_*
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Doesn't it have support for ASE models as well?
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Oh yes, I'm pretty sure that's what ActorX does for Maya. I forgot that Max does ASE. But after looking at Jamlander, it seems to be much more flexible than just importing via UnrealEd.
  • Rosario
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rosario polycounter lvl 17
    I need a plug in that exports to BSP with the PK3 files. I'm using Dark Basic pro and that has BSP support. the .X files aren't that good as i don't think they can export light data. every time i export a model to .X it doesn't look good. Anyone know of a site to get the plug in to make a true BSP? with the PK3. thank you in advance
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    As mentioned above 'BSP' isn't an 'export' format as such, it's a compiled one. Any data you want saved to the format has to be converted to a BSP using, for example, Q3Map(2) if you want or can use Quake 3 style BSP files.

What modelling app are you using and what plugin?
  • Rosario
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rosario
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rosario
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PandaX exporter. Sorry for the triple post. didn't read all of your post.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    When you say the model looks naff exported out to .x what do you mean by that? It's not carrying any vertex painting or the UVWs are getting messed up?

What other formats does Basic support? Maybe try using a different format for any static objects (none animated)
  • Rosario
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It supports MDL,MD3. 3ds,MDL. Everything is good, the UVW maps are good. In max I add lights, when i export to .X the light data doesn't seem to be there. you know what I mean? If that don't explain it please let me know and I will make screen shots and post them on the site.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Are you sure that Basic is supposed to be able to interpret Max's light objects? You might find that they're used as 'helpers' so the file your exporting is probably okay but the engine isn't picking and interpreting the data properly.

Your best bet is going to be to export the models or scene out to ASE and then do a bit of map editing in Quake 3 Radiant to *then* compile to BSP, at least that way you'll know what to expect.

I'm working on a project that had this problem in the early stages, we were using the .x format but it wasn't doing what we expected so we had to move over to a BSP based engine which meant exporting the models and compiling maps from the using the Q3 tools. A bit long winded but it was much easier to bug track (as I'm very familiar with the format).
  • Rosario
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That could work. But i downloaded a game from DarkBasic that has the .X files and it looks great. realistic. The used lightmaps which are included in one of the folders that comes with the game. How would I export lightmaps?
    also where would I get the Quake 3 tolds and the Exported for ASE? thanks so far.
  • Rosario
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried to look on line for the converter but i only found one that converts from BSP to ASE. I haven't been able to find it yet. Does it even exist? I'd assume so since you said u used it.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    hmmmm, that doesn't sound as if they got those 'lightmaps' from the .X format itself as it's not capable of storing that sort of data (as far as I know).

It sounds like what they've done is collect all their assets together into a quake 3 map and then compiled the results, from which they've export the lightmaps out to separate texture sheets (unless they've used some sort of ambient accullsion rendering set up).

You're using Max 8 which *should* export to ASE by default, you shouldn't need to download anything in order to produce ASE files.

If you've not done this before I won't lie and say it's easy... Make sure that when you prep the models for export that you have a single texture per mesh section becasue games can't read multimaterials, it's often best to export objects of same material to save on the number of objects you have.

You'll need to write a basic 'shader' for each texture and apply that to each object, usually by editing the ASE in NotePad or similar. Once that's done the models will load in GTKRadiant and you'll be able to box the objects into a map.

Getting this far then means you can compile the map and export lightmaps out.

Grab the sample .map file from my website to get the info you need for this as there's a lot to consider if you go this route.

Unfortunately there's no easy way to get this sort of lightmap data afaik. Page me via MSN (q3dreams@hotmail.com) or ICQ (102128154) if you get stuck.
  • Rosario
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I exported to ASE but it wont open in GTKRadiant. it only opens maps. it xan't import ASE file fomat.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Put the model in the following location

base/models/mapobjects/rosario/[your model]

Open GTKRadiant and then right click on the grid; select Misc > Misc_model browse to that folder just added, select 'ase' from the 'file type' drop down and then click 'open.

The file will appear but it won't be textured. You need to follow the info above to do that.

The easiest thing to do is search the internet about "building my 1st map" and following what you find otherwise I'm going to be repeating info that's already all over the net.