Home General Discussion

Shit, monitor broke.

KDR_11k
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
My 19" CRT just broke. Was a damn fine monitor but I guess I got my money's worth since I had it in use for ~7 years. I'm currently using a crappy 17" monitor with a nasty problem with the blue channel which means I can't do any painting (its picture is as bad as TV so my eyes are starting to hurt just looking at it).

So now I'm looking for a monitor that can do 1280x960 (or higher but preferrably 4:3). From what I've seen in stores LCDs are 5:4 or 16:9 these days for no apparent reason. I think I can't fit an LCD on my desk (screen holder is sloped with a stopper wire at the end, an LCD would slip off) so a CRT is definitely preferred.

An LCD should have a good handling of scaling, adding black areas if the screen can't be upscaled by an integral factor. I'd rather sacrifice screen size than have those stupid doubled rows and columns that look completely ugly. Since I can't feasibly play every game at the screen's native resolution good upscaling is necessary.

No blurring since it's intended for gaming and good color reproduction since I'm trying to paint textures on the same screen should be a given.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    my monitor is pretty good, but the gama is all messed up , the colours are alot brighter and desaturated , so i have to "guess" when to put more colouring , but, in case of image and stability, and refresh rate havent seen any better , i will take some images later if you want, i think it was cheap for a monitor of this type.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Ack, not sure.
    I used a Viewsonic a90 for about 4 years, works great. Supports all the way up to 1600x1200. Yes, it also supports 1280x960, and other 4:3 ratio formats.

Right now though, I'm using a BenQ 21" 16:10 widescreen LCD. It's amazingly good for the $315 tag. No blurring, no dead pixels - it's great. But, you don't have room for a LCD... frown.gif

So you know, widescreen LCDs or CRTs can put borders around the lower resolutions you choose, so you don't *have* to scale them up. I run some games in 1280x960, and it's got borders around it, since my native res is 1680x1050. Much like a DVD movie, I don't notice the borders.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    if you prefer CRT: buy a used one: sony GDM5411. most excellent picture in history. very high quality 21 inch beast. 130 or so euros + shipping, off lease (2-3 years old).
    you can get it rebranded as ibm, sun or sgi and i believe dell as well.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    CRT is preferred?? yes I can see how that would take up less desk space.

you could probably get one for free, just check your local auction houses for bankruptcies.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    CRT is preferred?? yes I can see how that would take up less desk space.

Space isn't the issue, the desk is sloped and the stopping wire at the end won't hold an LCD with more than 1/3rd of its foot still on the desk.

Hm, I just found a 19" CRT for 150€, half the price of the cheapest 19" LCDs. Samtron 98PDF.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    21 inch sun sony trinitron ftw! like $150 shipped on ebay. does 1600x1200 at 85hz or something... up to 1920x1440 max
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    CRT's are heavy, old fashion, and break often. LCD's have improved greatly over the years.