Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first Environ scene

ribrado
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ribrado polycounter lvl 17
Hi. I have posted some images of my scene before when it was a working progress. I know I could work on it more but I'm in a school schedule, I have to get everything done to graduate (demo, dvds and website stuff). Please critque my work, I know there are much more things I can work on. I want to get better with each personal projects I work on.

Model: I modeled each building as one object. I know I was told it's much easier to texture them as seperate objects. The Roofs are seperate objects thought...so I can save polys. Here are my WireFrames

Textures: I learned most of my texturing during my work on my environment Demo Reel. So I'm quite a noob on texturing still and need to learn more on this department especially painting matte. I took the pictures that I used as my Reference and texture purpose. there are things like my specs map on my Objects I could have fix if I had more time, they are too shinny.

Future: I know there is so much more I can work on, to get it better. But with school being done, I won't have a powerful computer to work on personal stuff. My comp at home shuts off or freezes whenever I tried to render. So my plan is to work on something much smaller and simpler. I want to take on another project where it will help me more on Shaders, texturing and a mixture of organic modeling.

Any suggestions, critque would be so great. I just want to know what I did worng and right so I can learn from my mistakes and get better.

Here is my Portfolio images.
For textures Click Here , More Images

Pic04.jpg

Pic08.jpg

Pic18.jpg

Pic19.jpg

Pic23.jpg

Pic31.jpg

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Overall, you’ve accomplished a good looking, highly detailed scene with no noticeable repetitive detailing, and very believable.

The only major eyesore is the trees. The harsh lighting rendered on these brings the overall scene down a lot. Try working out the rendering or focus on creating better trees in general.

Some props appear to be oddly proportioned, and lack a good shadow or transition to the ground surface.

The materials, especially the metals, have an odd bump and glossiness. As with the props, this throws off your up close or eye level perspective images.

Be careful with photosourcing. It looks like some of your textures are blurry and/or washed out. Also, try to keep your pixel depth as even as possible (difficult to tell if this is really a problem here or not).

Pretty good stuff though. If you fixed up the trees and materials a bit, you’d be set with a great looking environment here.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    When building a piece of enviromental art believability is one of the most important part of the work.
    Cholden ist right about the trees looking odd due to the lightning, but most of all do the look wrong since they are placed wrongly. I a city noone would plant trees on such small sidewalks, so close to the building windows etc.

Either make them much smaller or loose them all together as they are hurting the believability of your scene.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 18
    please edit all foliage normals to the same angle (immo the best is up). this will kill all the visible cuts smile.gif
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Here are some of my thoughts, overall it has potentional, and if some of these things are fixed it will look better.

Also, along with what others have said, stuff seems a little blurred. If you are using mental ray maybe try using a diffrent filter to render with.

citycrit01.jpg
    citycrit02.jpg
    citycrit03.jpg
  • ribrado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ribrado polycounter lvl 17
    cool I got reponses and thank you guys.

Cholden:
    Trees: Here is the tree leaves texture. Is it too busy? Is that the problem? Should I lessen the leaves...or blurr it out more?

Light: I was learning lighting as I about to render it. I also had a night scene. I wanted to do a night to day transsition. One of my teacher told me to nuke out the night scene entirely, cause it wasn't good. Is there any lighting tutorial online?

Props: About that...they where the first thing I modeled. At first I wanted to go for a driving game scene style..in which to keep everything low res. By the end I did changed a few of them...the bench, garbage bin, fire hydrent ,clock etc. Sadly I didn't had enough time to remodel all the rest of the low poly objects.

Texture: Blurry stuff...oops yeah..I kinda took a small part of a picture and extracted it bigger. Which is prolly why the are more blurry that most.
    Thanks for responding.
    treeleaves.jpg

JkMakowka: from the reference they were close to the buildings. I also maded the sidewalk much bigger than the reference...it made the sidewalk way too busy. Perhaps I should've decrese the size of the stems?
    The lighting part I need to learn more about, which I know it sucks.
    Thanks man.

Katzeimsack: foliage normals? :-p oh man I'm clueless at what foliage means, care to explain? Thank

Striff: I was using metal ray for spec purpose. How's my building specs? too blurry? I did tone it down a bite cause I thought at first it looked too much mirror like. The blurry ness it prolly the texture of the objects..which was my flaut for photosourcing. Man I should blurr the leaves a bit eh?
    The curvy orad paint, if you check to with all the scene it will show you that that road is curvy. The other side has an extruting sidewalk.
    Props: lol man I notice that when I rendered my scene, saldly I didn't had time to render out my scene again. It was the third time I rendered them. I think the bumpy part is due to my object texturing. I'm still a noob in texturing. Thank you for responding.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    I definitely agree, those trees look like pooh... in fact, pooh in place of those trees would be an improvement. The rest of the scene looks very nice so replace the trees and it'll look so much better.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    the trees arnt that bad, editing the normals should sort out most of the problems with the lightin
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Take a look at all the transitions between the objects. Because it is an outdoor area, dirt and rubbish and plantlife will fall into almost all those areas.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 18
    foliage=leaves laugh.gif

change the normals of the leaves geometry! smile.gif

When you use maya you should select all leaves --> edit polygons --> normals --> Set vertex normal --> xValue=0,yValue=1,zValue=0 smile.gif
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    mmmm, yeah, there's something distinctly off with the scale of the whole thing. I was first thinking it was just the height of the kerbs (or curbs if we're speaking foreign) ... but i think it's more a combination of a bunch of things adding up to one big distortion. Add to the kerbs the fatness of the bollards and lampposts (particularly the support for the stop sign) the width of the broken white line, the height of that curved awning that seems to be the same as the width of the road (? ... renders can be deceiving). Add it all together, it all seems a bit Fisher-Price : fat, friendly, distinclty plasticcy.

btw, you know what'd really help, and add back some fine detail? Telegraph wires. They're the new normal mapping.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    I'd suggest less of a leaf-mass for the trees. More transparency and holes in the alpha texture. Bump in many spots looks too big, tighten it up a bit. An ambient occlusion lighting pass might be a good idea as well.

A good start!