Home Technical Talk

Doom 3 the evilness

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Showster polycounter lvl 18
Okkies I'm trying to get a multi suboject material into doom and basically its driving me nuts with an assortment of errors.

I am working from max exporting an ASE file with 3 surfaces, head, torso and accessories (also 3 textures, 512,256 and 512*256).
I make the material file and create the directories fine, edit the ASE and pk the data.
After that I load the static mesh (eventually I want to make this piece a character) into GTK or the doom editor and it gives the error:-

Couldn't load image: _emptyname

Strangely enough it loads 2 of the images in the shader, the torso and accessories map.

Heres a list of remedies I've tried:-

reset x forms
reword ase file
resize the texture which is not showing up(512*512)
tried multiple file formats
export into milkshape then to ase
change the names and location of the files
tried only 2 surfaces

If anyone has any information on this subject I'd be extremely greatful.

Cheers

Show

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I would put the 256*256 and 512*256 on a single 512*512 sheet and try again.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried that, didn't work, then reset my material editor in max and all of a sudden it worked :-s

now time to fix the normals smile.gif

http://www.3d-palace.com/components/com_forum/files/thumbs/t_shot00007_169.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Doom3 editor can be a bit flaky.
    If you're using .ASE, it doesn't like a space in the pathname to the textures (like /Doom 3/base/models/mymodel/mytexture.tga won't read correctly, but if you remove the "/Doom 3" part, it'll read fine.

I always had to go in and manually edit my .ASE files to fix the material paths.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea seems like I'll be doing the same MoP, out of interest what did you make in the doom engine? :-D Did you have any joy/luck with the shader language?, it seems quite similar to q3 in principal :-D
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    It is very similar. I think a few technicalities were changed but it still works the same.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I've had this same exact problem before

basically, my .ase was missing a diffuse map section
    <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
    *MATERIAL_LIST {
    *MATERIAL_COUNT 1
    *MATERIAL 0 {
    *MATERIAL_NAME "Material"
    *MATERIAL_CLASS "Standard"
    *MATERIAL_AMBIENT 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000
    *MATERIAL_DIFFUSE 0.8000 0.8000 0.8000
    *MATERIAL_SPECULAR 1.0000 1.0000 1.0000
    *MATERIAL_SHINE 0.5000
    *MATERIAL_SHINESTRENGTH 0.0978
    *MATERIAL_TRANSPARENCY 0.0000
    *MATERIAL_WIRESIZE 1.0000
    *MATERIAL_SHADING Blinn
    *MATERIAL_XP_FALLOFF 0.0000
    *MATERIAL_SELFILLUM 0.0000
    *MATERIAL_FALLOFF In
    *MATERIAL_XP_TYPE Filter
    *MAP_DIFFUSE {
    *MAP_NAME "MySkin"
    *MAP_CLASS "Bitmap"
    *MAP_SUBNO 1
    *MAP_AMOUNT 1.0000
    *BITMAP "\\test\models\gargy"
    *MAP_TYPE Screen
    *UVW_U_OFFSET 0.0000
    *UVW_V_OFFSET 0.0000
    *UVW_U_TILING 1.0000
    *UVW_V_TILING 1.0000
    *UVW_ANGLE 0.0000
    *UVW_BLUR 1.0000
    *UVW_BLUR_OFFSET 0.0000
    *UVW_NOUSE_AMT 1.0000
    *UVW_NOISE_SIZE 1.0000
    *UVW_NOISE_LEVEL 1
    *UVW_NOISE_PHASE 0.0000
    *BITMAP_FILTER Pyramidal
    }

}
    }
    </pre><hr />
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    ....I am working from max exporting an ASE file with 3 surfaces, head, torso and accessories (also 3 textures, 512,256 and 512*256)...

[/ QUOTE ]If those are individual textures then each part of the model they sit on needs to be split into a physically seperate mesh; you can't use 'multimaterials' in D3 (multiple materials/textures applied to the *same* object). If you do, D3 reads the 1st material it finds and applies it over the whole model.

Just select all the objects once split and then export to ASE which will create a single object composed of a couple of GEOMOBJECTS, one for each textured section.

You'll need to do the same thing with *.MD5 exported characters unless you plonk everything onto a single texture sheet as suggested above.

Your texture paths in the *BITMAP ref of the ASE should read as //base/[path/to/assets]

Read this and see if it helps, read from " Doomed, Doomed, we're all Doomed I tells ya " near the bottom of the page.