polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19

Replies

• Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    So I'm kinda confused, Bungie said that when the trailer came out, this stuff wasn't pre-rendered...now they are kinda saying that it is? I dunno I'm confused, it looks pretty cool tho.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    It's going to be good, I'm interested in seeing how they end the story. Those bungie guys sure like making little documentaries about Halo, its always fun to see a making of video.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    So I'm kinda confused, Bungie said that when the trailer came out, this stuff wasn't pre-rendered...now they are kinda saying that it is? I dunno I'm confused, it looks pretty cool tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh ??? At the end of the documentry the guy says " This is the game , this is the engine , this is what Halo 3 is going to look like " ..I think that sums it up nicely . Btw I still like Epic better ..go epic ! tongue.gif
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Well, one of the guys says "What we're building here is our bar of what we are going to shoot for in real game-play". It's a little misleading, I'm not saying it's not real gameplay, its just a little confusing.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    I'm pretty sure thats pre-rendered. Triple specular shields aren't feasible in real-time yet.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Anyway, I wrote a triple specular shield shader that runs on my 3dfx voodoo2 card, so I think xbox360 should be able to handle it just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you're a PIMP, Per wink.gif
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    indeed, he keeps that slap hand at the ready ..

so did anyone get the notion that this might be the finale for the franchise ? i kind of figured microsoft would milk halo for all they can since it's the symbol of xbox
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

so did anyone get the notion that this might be the finale for the franchise ? i kind of figured microsoft would milk halo for all they can since it's the symbol of xbox

[/ QUOTE ]

One can only hope.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's going to be good, I'm interested in seeing how they end the story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Master Chief will defeat all the baddies, take off the helmet, and we'll find out that he is really a she with a really deep voice...
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One can only hope.

[/ QUOTE ]

never saw the point in the first place. I mean, the percentage of people who moved on to play the second one must be lower than the first, so the third will only cater to the hardcore fans, which must be an even lower customer base.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, I just had a totally weird moment of recognition! I just realised that I used to work with Lee Wilson in a storyboard studio in London eons ago.

Cool stuff, but I really hope that this time around Bungie work much harder with their characters. The humanoid stuff in the previous games was really terribly sub par for a commercial videogame. Distractingly bad, and not up to the visual quality of other aspects of the game. You'd think a 45 strong Art team could figure it out.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's going to be good, I'm interested in seeing how they end the story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Master Chief will defeat all the baddies, take off the helmet, and we'll find out that he is really a she with a really deep voice...

[/ QUOTE ]
    If it was japanese he would be a hermaphrodite..
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Master Chief takes off the helmet and turns out to be Bill Gates. Or Batman.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really I don't think this will be the end for Halo. Just like Laura Croft & Superman's deaths didn't stop those francises they will find a way to do another one. Be it a prequil, a spin off or just screw thier fans out of an ending again, I don't know. I just know that Bungie does halo and they do it pretty well. But lets be real does anyone really see Bungie doing anything besides Halo?

Also about the whole pre-rendered not pre-renderd debockel, I think everyone based thier opinions of what the 360 can do a wee-bit too early and on games that where really just xbox games given the bloom effect. We have yet to really see a game that makes the hardware break a sweat, this could be it. But on the other hand one guy does say "In the end I THINK you will be able to play exactly what you are watching in this trailer.". That too me sounds like they tossed it in to cover thier assests if they don't deliver. I think we are watching the engine on a really high end PC one of the PC's you see at E3 stuffed with so much ram reps from Kensington scratch thier heads. I'm not saying the 360 can't pull it off, it will someday. It sounds like Bungie at the time that was shot, doesn't have it running like they wish on the 360.

I'll be happy if they actually end the story and let it rest and move onto something new, not a spin off or Halo Zero.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    RBut lets be real does anyone really see Bungie doing anything besides Halo?

[/ QUOTE ]

They did things besides Halo for quite some time. I'd love to see another (hopefully better) Oni, although I don't think they have the rights to it anymore.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    If you look at the shot where they've got the wireframe of the level, you can see that all the geometry detail is localized right around where the camera gets close. Unless they've got Max running their LOD scheme, the environment was custom built for the cinematic - it's not a gameplay area.

I think that's what they're talking about when they say "In the end I THINK you will be able to play exactly what you are watching in this trailer." They're not far enough along with the game to be showing gameplay environments that look as good as the one in the cinematic.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    never saw the point in the first place. I mean, the percentage of people who moved on to play the second one must be lower than the first, so the third will only cater to the hardcore fans, which must be an even lower customer base.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Didn't Halo 2 sell about three times as many copies as Halo?

Also, this is the making of the Halo 3 trailer, not the game. Souds like the trailer is, much like the Killzone trailer, a 'bar to shoot for.' How they want it to look in the end.

Frank the Avenger
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Didn't Halo 2 sell about three times as many copies as Halo?

Also, this is the making of the Halo 3 trailer, not the game. Souds like the trailer is, much like the Killzone trailer, a 'bar to shoot for.' How they want it to look in the end.

Frank the Avenger

[/ QUOTE ]

you make no sense. halo3 is a game they are making or are they just making a trailer?
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    Sigh. This making of featurette is not the making of Halo 3, as it has been titled, it is the making of the Halo 3 TRAILER.

Frank the Avenger
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so they are not making a halo 3 game?

I was commenting on the franchise, sorry for any derailment or confusing you.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

Frank the Avenger

[/ QUOTE ]

It seemed more to me like a demonstration of the engine and their cinematic scenes. All plausible, but we have to wait until the actual gameplay to see how things shape up. Comparing it to the Killzone trailer is kinda' unfair.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    so they are not making a halo 3 game?

I was commenting on the franchise, sorry for any derailment or confusing you.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm sure they are, but this little 'making of' movie isn't about the game.

And Sup, if it's a 'demonstration of the engine' and not any actual gameplay, wouldn't you say that's pretty much 'how we want the game to look,' which would make it pretty much the same as the Killzone trailer? It's not gameplay, it's what they want gameplay to be eventually. That's what the Killzone trailer was.

Frank the Avenger
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Frank, true. Bungie did a bit better though by actually making it in house, have it run in real-time with their engine on the target platform using assets that they will ship with (Master Chief, Gun, Ruins, Alien Ships). So, they're guaranteed that aspects of the final game will look just like this trailer.

The Killzone thing was done by another company and is nothing more than concept art for the actual dev team. Bungie has a much more achievable goal.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The Killzone thing was done by another company and is nothing more than concept art for the actual dev team. Bungie has a much more achievable goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it was arguably created to serve more of a purpose than that. Clearly it created hype for Sony and PS3.

But yeah, I know that wasn't the point you were making doc. The thing is, that wether or not this is *actually* running realtime or not is actually kinda moot, and not remotely comparable to the Killzone situation, since as you say, these are all assets and techniques that are feasible in realtime. Anyone with half a brain and an involvement in CG could see that the KZ vid wasn't feasible in real time.

The cynical amongst us (and since I've recently aquired the bitter monicker I might aswell live up to it) might go so far as to suggest that the KZ video was even far more malicious in intent than a visual/gameplay target, and was in fact, a purposeful attempt by Sony to mislead, and even had little to do with Guerilla games.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder if this beginning of this video has the same glitchy pop-on that so plagued the cutscenes in Halo 2. That's probably why they faded in from white. tongue.gif