Home General Discussion

Mocap bureau experience?

Wondering if anyone's had some experience working with either House of Moves in Los Angeles or Red Eye Studio in Illinois?

We might be doing a project capturing horses, and these seem to be the only two studios that have any experience close to doing it. Our client is a horse-training company that we're pitching a realtime 3d training sim to. They're totally into the psychology of the horse, reading its brain from subtle cues the horse emits to the trainer. Thus mocap probably is the best solution.

I was part of a mocap shoot with ILM a few years ago for a hockey game (that died), but we certainly didn't try to tackle the thorny issue of capturing animals. OK, maybe goalies are animals.

Anyhow the point is I'm looking for a studio that can handle tricky mocap, so anyone have some horror stories? Anyone used either of these two outfits?

BTW, I liked this article about planning for mocap.

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    I've got an college pal working over at House of Moves. Can't say whether or not they do animals... or whether or not they do good work. In fact, I don't know anything other than the fact that she works there.

Was there something in particular you wanted me to ask her about the studio?

-joe
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Joe!

Well I'm looking for feedback from people who've used them (or other studios), not really the studio's perspective. Already been talking with the studio director there.

They haven't done horses, but have done other animals... an elephant, etc. They're willing to travel for location shooting, which is what we'd need, they have latest high-end Vicon system, been around awhile, etc.

Looking for the dev perspective.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    hookin' you up via email. Might take me a few mins to figurer out which one of our guys actually deals with them.

-R
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I was watching a TV program about mo cap here the other day in Japan, they got this lady to go interview the staff snad have a go at the system. They stuck all these little balls all over her body and had 6 cameras tracking her on the ceiling.

still, elbows looked loose and flakey. why do the elbows always looks like thunderbirds puppets arms??

(also with any lack of facial expression the final result of rher scoring a goal in some football game made her look fucking wierd.)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    ehm yeah it's not a one-click-done solution. if done badly, it looks as crappy as noisy photosourced textures.
    you are able to capture facial stuff, however that's a second mocap system attached to your body. and the results depend greatly on mesh topology, animation setup and marker calibration.

for a horse, you'll probably need one hell of convincing motion blending and a lot of editing of the final mocap data.
    have you taken a look at shadow of the colossus? they had a quite nicely mocap-animated horse in there and also talked about what was necessary to bring it to the screen.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the way HOM described it, they capture both micro-level markers (facial) and macro-level markers (body) at the same time, so it's an integrated skeleton, all in one file (if we ask for it this way).

Yeah, we looked at SOC. We're making the horse the star of the show, and it has to convey the inner psychology of the horse, not just gross motor movements. Thus the facial capture approach. Our client knows horse behavior at a very fine level, things I personally never noticed until they were pointed out.

We do have a pretty cool blending system that won't require a lot of mocap editing (except loops which are the mocap house's job). We're still in pre-production, so of course a lot of the kinks need to get worked out. But it looks good so far.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    We worked with them (HOM) on Everything Or Nothing. They were the best experience we had with mocap from an external source. No complaints, they know their stuff. I didn't deal with pricing though.