Home General Discussion

Iwata's Ambitions for the "Wii"

cochtl
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cochtl polycounter lvl 18
It's a few weeks old, but i dont recall seeing it here on the forums...

regaining what nintendo has lost

Makes me warm and tingly all over wink.gif

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Sounds great, I'm very excited for the Wii, but I wouldn't care to hook it up to the net and have it on all the time, it'd be so much better to just have an email service and a usb cable to connect to your computer for downloading new content.

I don't get why all the consoles are trying to mimick a computer's internet abilities, when they could be insanely more powerful if they just worked WITH computers. Even just modding for a console would be a huge advantage.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Not much new said there, but kinda interesting none-the-less.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

I don't get why all the consoles are trying to mimick a computer's internet abilities, when they could be insanely more powerful if they just worked WITH computers. Even just modding for a console would be a huge advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm almost positive that's what Microsoft was saying X360 and Vista will do.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm almost positive that's what Microsoft was saying X360 and Vista will do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thus far I've heard it'll allow you to transfer files between the two, so you can watch videos or play songs...was there more to it?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check the E3 press conference, it looks like they have great plans for it. Their example was for a racing game. Took a car from a game on the 360 and tweaked it on a cell phone, then took it onto the computer to edit the paint job, then took it back to the 360 to race the thing. And apparently that's only the start. laugh.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    a car from a game on the 360 and tweaked it on a cell phone, then took it onto the computer to edit the paint job, then took it back to the 360 to race the thing. And apparently that's only the start. laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

as oppose to adding a small paint editing app to the game or the console?

very nice read.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, those would likely still be on the console. it was just a mock up example they made. Basically it's based more on the "Hey, I'm sitting in the bus, whyd on't I pull out my cell phone and tweak my car a bit" idea. Or your sitting on your computer chatting on msn and decide to paint your car, that kind of thing.

I realize that this is a Wii thread, so it was bound to get some sarcastic and uninformed responses, however after seeing the plans for xbox live I felt it really was the most impressive new console feature shown at E3.
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    No, those would likely still be on the console. it was just a mock up example they made. Basically it's based more on the "Hey, I'm sitting in the bus, whyd on't I pull out my cell phone and tweak my car a bit" idea. Or your sitting on your computer chatting on msn and decide to paint your car, that kind of thing.

I realize that this is a Wii thread, so it was bound to get some sarcastic and uninformed responses, however after seeing the plans for xbox live I felt it really was the most impressive new console feature shown at E3.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not impressed by that in the least...

Very excited for the Wii, though!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm not impressed by that in the least...

[/ QUOTE ]

Omg yes! Forget great multimedia cross-platform stuff. Waving your arms about and snapping your wrists is FAR more impressive! confused.gif

Each system has it's own audience. Nintendo is going to attract the same crowd it did before. No more, no less. They're offering a differant way to play the same games.
    The only real reason I'm picking up a Wii is for that tastey back catalog smile.gifsmile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Nintendo is going to attract the same crowd it did before. No more, no less.

Actually many more people have shown interest in the system and even the mainstream news did reports on the thing. The idea of controlling a game by waving the rod around may not appeal to you but it seems to appeal to the people who don't want to deal with 12 button gamepads. Those people didn't buy a GC.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Ok, believe what ya like smile.gif
    Mainstream news reported many times on the Xbox360 as well. It's nothing new.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Yes but the mainstream certainly didn't care about the Gamecube.