Home Technical Talk

Laggy maya, crappy resolution...

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Makkon polycounter
Last night, while I was working on a highpoly version of a character, Maya randomly jammed. I was forced manually turn off the computer. I had recently saved, and it was time for bed, so I didn't bother to see if anything was different or corrupt. This morning I opened up several models and found that I was getting rather crappy shading...like instead of greay I'm getting desaturated pink and green... and it was tremedously laggy. I could hardly move my view or tweak a vertex, the lag was so bad. I've never had this problem before with maya, and I'd like to be able to work on my model with the previous speed that I had.
Here's a picture of what the shading looks like. This is NOT jpeg compression, this is EXACTLY what it looks like in my veiwport: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v671/Makkon/errors/videosettingsScrewed.jpg

Has anyone run into this problem before? If so, is there a way to fix it?

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Do you work in layers at all? When I deal with models of this detail level, I l ike to break up the major sections in seperate layers to reduce the lag (hiding layers I'm not working on). Not sure about the color depth, but I think it's reducing the color to help speed up (I've had the same problem, but worked through it).
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I do, but It even lags with a simple cube in a new scene. Layering and hiding don't really seem to help, the lag seems to be present and vengful even with quaratined geometry. Is there some setting that was knocked out of place by chance? The computer did some weird things when it jammed.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Last friday, I opened a maya 7.0 scene file in the morning that was fine the night before, to find that suddenly the viewport framerate was chugging like hell. I couldn't figure it out at all. I deleted my prefs and that fixed it, but still unsure as to the cause. The artifacting you have there looks a bit like a camera clipping plane Z related issue no?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    have you checked if maya is still using OGL accelerated graphics? i don't know if you could tell that from looking at the driver's properties of your card. maybe run something like wings3d or other OGL-accelerated software to see if the behaviour is the same.

weird things can happen if windows has had a really bad crash.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    sounds like maya's using the wrong graphics driver (software maybe?) might explain the slowness and weird shading.
    do what daz said, delete any preferences and settings (After backing them up, for hotkeys etc.), and see if the problem persists.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    [ QUOTE ]
    The artifacting you have there looks a bit like a camera clipping plane Z related issue no?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Huh? I'm not well versed in maya terms, you'll have to translate.

Hmm, I suppose I could delete my settings. I'll let you know how well that goes... just a sec. If that's not it, I could update my drivers. They just might be out of date or corrupt.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Just move them as a test If you dont want to delete them. Im positive thats the cause. What MoP said. Maya is using software not hardware.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I deleted the peferences in the Cdrive, in my-documents, after backing them up and moving them. The shading still remains after reseting maya, but the lag is not nearly as bad. It's still there, but it's better... sort of..well, it's just as bad when view my highpoly in rough display. I could just reinstall maya, would that help any?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Very silly question perhaps. But is it just this scene affected or is it a global Maya issue?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Your video driver looks fucked, it looks like it's rendering in 4bit instead of 8bit, you should try reinstalling your video driver or updating it to a certified one.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Nope, it's every scene I open, and even new ones. It struggles with a mere cube. Sickening.
    And video drivers I havn't touched... perhaps I ought to update.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    That's odd, I came back to Maya just last night to find that the problem has dissapeared completely. The lag is gone and the colors are fixed. It looks like I can finnally start modeling again.
    During that slump I started mapping for hl2, though. So I guess I needed that break from modeling anyway.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    It was all a drunken dream Makkon...all a drunken dream :]