Home Technical Talk

i <3 healing brush

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
used to be a patch tool monkey but just recently found out how much more usefull the healing brush is.

also, been doing paintovers on some blocked in maps for the level designers recently and have found the vanishing point filter to be damn handy.

erm, yes!

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I totally agree! Both are awesome and very super duper useful.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I use healing brush a lot for textures, it's pretty smart.
    Never heard of or seen the vanishing point filter though, what is it?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    In CS2, it's under Filters > Vanishing Point. I dont remember if it's in any previous versions.

Basically, it allows you to drop an imaginary 3d plane down and apply clone brush and paintbrush strokes down with perspective. Say you're trying to paint something on a floor in a picture of a square room. Just click the 4 corners of the floor to initialize the plane, and when you use the tools, they will move along your imaginary 3d space. There was a neat video about it on the adobe site back when CS2 came out
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, that's nice. Yeah, it's not in CS.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    For those who are interested, here's the video I was talking about: http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutorials/tt-cs2/vanishing-point-tutorial.html
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    ok thats just too nice....
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I used the healing tool to clean up the ID photos of my pimply co-workers (I was the new guy then)...man. None of them had ever used it and were gawking like it was voodoo. That is one among it's many versatile uses!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    As a working professional Photo Retoucher, I can say 2 things about the healing brush:

#1: It makes my basic first pass retouch 10x faster

#2: It makes anybody who can pick up photoshop and click the healing brush think they are a great retouch artist.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I used the healing brush since it was invented and just realized the patch tool is way better in cs2 as they seem to have improved it's blending from cs1.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    ...that video demo just made me spill my coffee.

The changes they made to layers were enough to make me want CS 2, but that just blows my mind
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    cs2 is still garbage.

there is a cool redeming feature... where with the move tool, you can hold control, and drag select a box around layers to select multiples. such a time saver. The only downside is that it is still retarded, and does not know how to go inside layer groups.

cs2 is still trash.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    PS 5.5 for teh Win!
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Personally I would really like to see a dedicated 2d tool for texture artists. Right now photoshop is too many different things to too many people. It contains a large portion of features that I never use (as a texture artist) and becomes more bloated with every release. I think we have really a reached a saturation point where a split is necessary. There are so many ways the workflow could be improved that would be counter productive to photoshops other uses and vice versa.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    But then you'd likely lose funky things like Vanishing point. Its of little use to texture artists but there are times when it would be invaluable when doing regular 2d art which you'll inevitably have to try at some stage.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    cs2 is still garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]
    ...compared to what?

dismissing things as "retarded" doesnt make a point
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Per, but don't you buy photos from a photo shop? poly111.gif
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks. See that's more of what i was looking for.

It's not as obvious as you may think though. I have never had the opportunity to use Delexe Paint for example, so I'm unable to make that comparison.
    I agree with you, PS is definately not optimized to be a paint progam, it's a photo editing program with a lot of flexibility. In that regard something like Painter blows it out of the water. Then again painter falls short on many fronts that PS is much better for (blendmodes, layers, batch processing etc.)

I'm not trying to defend the software btw, but if i see a strong criticism of on an app that everyone uses, naturally I'm going to want to know why, and what alternatives there are.
    Thats the whole purpose of this forum, no?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Painter pisses me off. It doesn't behave like I expect the media to, especially in color blending/mixing.
    I honestly don't get the "photoshop is crap" complains.

The only time I ever get brush lag in PS is if the file im working on is 20X30" print rez with lots of layers and I haven't bothered to save in a while. Or of course if Im painting with a complex several hundred pixel brush.

Personaly it seems to work just like I want it to, and yes I have to do photo editing too.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade: Don't gey me wrong, I'm not saying I want to throw away features and never look at them again. Just that I would prefer my most common tasks to be as optimised as possible. I don't care if vanishing point is clunky as hell if I only use it once a year. Currently I feel the software is a jack-of-all-trades and is only awesome at photo editing work, while just decent at everything else. I certainly think that it is due to lack of competition as mentioned above. Where's Modo for the 2D world? I have no problem using one app for painting and another for texturing.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont buy the "lack of competition" argument for one second. PaintShop Pro anybody? Sells for <100$, and has many of the same features as Photoshop. Gimp, Painter, Art-Rage, etc.
    TONS of competition.

I think its a case of Adobe catering to what still remains the largest segment of thier market...photo editors & photographers.
    I dont find photoshop to be clunky or unweildy at all. It has its bugs and its issues that grate on me sure, but every app has that.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I dont buy the "lack of competition" argument for one second. PaintShop Pro anybody? Sells for <100$, and has many of the same features as Photoshop. Gimp, Painter, Art-Rage, etc.
    TONS of competition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be more impressed if you could name one studio that exclusively uses any one of those apps for its texture work. Technically, they aren't really competition, because they aren't stealing sales away from adobe.

I just wish i could have the option to pick up background colors on my brush. Smudge mixed with regular brush. Couldn't be hard to code that shit up.

<if="color on brush"/>
    <if="color on background"/>
    <then="mother fucking mix that shit"/>
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why dont more companies use Paint Shop Pro? I dont know. It has many(most) of the same features as PS. It was really reliable when I used it.
    My guess is because most artists are familiar with the industry leader...PS. Studios want to use an industry leading app, not budget-ware. Thus...PS.

There are alternatives out there. If you are truely fed up with PS, then try one. Perhaps you'll like it better.

My statement was really just that there IS competition, but frankly Photoshop is such a GOOD program, despite our gripes, that it remains on top.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

<if="color on brush"/>
    <if="color on background"/>
    <then="mother fucking mix that shit"/>

[/ QUOTE ]

lawl! I wish scripting languages wrote like that. It make my work day waaaay more enjoyable
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Photoshop used to have a little tick box that decided whether your current brush pressure sensitivity controlled opacity or size... I used this all the time. It was always on-screen. Simple stuff. Now, if you want to do the same, you have to bring up this huge crazy brush editor and go through 5 different menus to achieve the same result. The UI has become extremely inefficient. In CS2 I can't even figure out how to save a brush with modifications I've done to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

For this reason alone I have stuck with Photoshop 6. Photoshop brought in the 'brush editor' shit.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Per I had a quick look and found this on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XRes

Basically it looked like Macromedia wanted the higher release numbers where as the programmers wanted the stuff in behind the scenes and then release to compete straight away.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Per: Thanks for actually shedding some light on the "why ps is crap" arguments.
    So basically what you want is a scriptable interface for your paint program so it behaves exactly as you want it to.

Also per: In CS (I don't have 2 yet) SHIFT+LeftCLICK will select a number of brushes in a row in the preset manager, as well as Ctrl+LeftClick selecting the singles you click on. Saving them out use the little round arrow button and select "save brushes". They save out to an ABR file.
    However the no "save changes to brush preset" option is rather annoying. You simply have to make your changes, save a new preset (little cirle arrow button again), and delete the old one if you no longer want it.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I stay with PS6 because it seems to be the best choice with less clutter. The interface in PS bothers me. Plus the selection of actions. You have Sharpen, Sharpen More (MORE?), Sharpen Edges, and Unsharp Mask.... Yes, 3 dots, it means options. All seem to be variations of Unsharp Mask... under the Sharpen selection. Problem, what the hell does Unsharp Mask... mean?

Why not simply have a "sharpen" button or tab? This could have a popup with all options under it. Same with all the Blurs. It could all be fit under a box with options.

I really wish I could mix colors easily, but it's a photo editor.

Photoshop is standardized clutter. For specific tasks, alternatives can be used.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    They made a horrible slow-loading filter box for CS ... basically instead of having a quick little preview for each filter, now when you load a certain filter, it spends half an hour loading all the filters you're NOT going to use just in order to give you a preview of the one you clicked in the first place.

Sheer madness.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Per: Hahah, no although I do teach photoshop classes.
    I just like the app. It does what I want it to do. I also kinda have a tendancy to not get on these forum "Bashing bandwagons" that everybody seems so fond of. I have griped here and there about PS, Max, Zbrush, etc. There are always things I want to do faster, easier, better. But I like to console myself by thinking about how much better these tools are than any tools I've used in the past. As flawed as it is, its certainly better than anything else.
    I think calling it "Rubbish" or whatever is a little extreme. As for it being "impossible to compete with adobe" What is your solution? I hear a lot of complaints, but not a lot of solutions. As you said, if any applications come to market with innovative features, Adobe will copy them for the next release of PS. I've used a lot of image manipulation programs, be they for "art" or for photo retouching. I just cannot say that I've ever preferred any of them to PS. OF COURSE there are things that can be better. That could be said of any software. Especially due to the iterative nature of software. Unless you go back to the drawing board for every release, your going to develop a bit of clutter. Some odd workflows. Thats inevitable. If you choose to start from scratch for a new version, and streamline things, THEN you take a huge risk alienating a large segment of your market/users. When millions & millions of dollars are at stake, they arent going to change everything so that a tiny minority of the users can have things their way.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    nice to hear that i'm not the only dino left who still swears by 5.5 and maybe could live with 6.0. after that, it only went downhill quickly. and yeah, that brush editor and brush engine that were introduced in 7 are disgusting.

i see no point in migrating to something that makes me less productive than when working with the former version. total waste of my time that is better spent picking up new tricks that actually save time...

however i have a hard time believing that some integrated paint toolset in 3d apps could ever be a real alternative. this kind of tools is in my experience too narrow-minded and clearly shows that they were developed as an afterthought.
    can modo be extended with scripts and such? one of those days i will have to test drive it but for me so far it seemed like maybe a godsend to lightwavers but insignificant to the rest of the world.

btw. there is a fully scriptable paint software (scriptable in TCL. 2D and 3D painter, it even has full 16bits support). it's called amazon paint and is made by a tiny but longstanding hollywood company called ifx. it is available for more than 13 years now, afaik. timebombed evals can be obtained through the resellers. and better get your linux install and geek skills ready if you want to test drive.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    huh, the new brush engine was a huge improvement as far as I'm concerned, but a lot of other features I could do without, especially the filter manager mop mentions.. jeez
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    rooster, true that the new brush engine is an improvement (except for the "crash when using dual brush + scattering" bug), but the way they've implemented it is a little backwards.

As Per mentioned, some simple settings which used to be easily changeable (because they'd tend to be changed a lot) are now buried in about 3 submenus and drop-downs with no way of shortcutting it or changing that.

Similarly something I've found which is intensely stupid, is that when using the Sponge tool, the ALT key does nothing at all. Like, when paintbrushing, ALT is "pick colour" ... when dodging/burning, ALT is the opposite of whichever tool you have selected.

Now wouldn't it be sensible to have ALT as "Desaturate" with the Sponge tool, when its default action is to Saturate... but no, to change between actions you have to go to a drop down menu at the top and change it from "Saturate" to "Desaturate" ... so lame!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    unfortunately, that brush engine feels quite crappy compared to some other paint programs, i'm afraid. on top of it it is an insane drain on system resources, so it get's the big nasty thumbs-down in my book. but to each their own, i guess...
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesus. What the hell is your problem?
    "Why can't I do something akin to the "symmetry" modifier in max?"
    You can create an action which selects and copys, pastes, mirrors and flattens your image. I wrote one for this exact purpose. No its not realtime, and that would be nice, but...
    Again, photoshop is not a dedicated texture creation tool.
    I think a plugin to that end, or an entirely new app is a great idea. I just dont see anybody working on it...

As for distorting pixels when doing a rotation of 90 or 180 degrees, I've never seen this problem, so I cannot comment on it. Can you post an example of this issue?

You've revealed pretty early on in this discussion a bias, and a lack of will to view any other perspectives as evidenced by this post:
    "Photoshop is garbage, and should be obvious enough why not to bother dissecting it."
    You've got some axe to grind, because it doesnt match up to your favorite apps of yesteryear. Use them then, if they are so much better.

And yes, IM sorry to break it to you but Game industry artists ARE a tiny segment of Adobes' market for Photoshop. If you dont like truthtown, dont visit.
    And for christs sake, if you dont like the application, dont use it. Why torture your self if its so awful?

What the hell are you talking about here?
    "...personal characteristics and psychological evaluation"
    I made no insults or judgements about anybodys character. Thats you all the way pardner.

by the way:
    "you can't save changes to brushes or that you can't instantiate layers"

Yes you can, and yes you can. So, the problem in those particular instances I guess is that you just dont know how to do these things, and that frustrates you. Understandable.

As for being able to switch between brush sensitivity controlling size, or pressure, or both, I have brushes that I MODIFIED and SAVED (which you claim is impossible) adjacent to eachother and I just press the "next/previous brush" key. As for Brush Lag, I've only encountered this issue when working on either very large images, with big strokes or with scatter brushes & complex shapes. I agree it would be intelligent of Adobe to impliment some kind of GPU support for the program, but not being a programmer and not fully understanding how pixel processing works internally in photoshop, IM going to assume that this would be an expensive & difficult undertaking with minimal benefit. I mean, how often do you drag gigantic brushes with scatter & sampled shapes across the entire canvas?
    And when you do....why the hell are you using photoshop?
    Thats a case of Wrong tool for the Wrong job. When you want to be all paintery & artsy, use Painter. When you need to get technical and have some per-pixel accuracy, export to PS.

I want a better, accelerated fully customizeable app too, but Im not going to call my best option dogshit just because it doesnt reach out and suck my dick while I click the "make art" button.

Gah, I was trying to be jovial and pragmatic in my replies, but you've just take this to a whole new level, and thats unacceptable. YOU made it personal, and insulting.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "you can't save changes to brushes or that you can't instantiate layers"

Yes you can, and yes you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Scoob, I'd love to know how you can do this, since I've been wanting to do it recently.

Every time I try to save changes to a brush, it makes a new one with the same name, and I have to delete the old one.

I'm using Photoshop CS.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP: Well, I no longer have CS installed here at work or at home, but in CS2 (I dont recall if its the same in CS) you just click the "new brush preset" option via the little triangle in the upper right corner of the brush dialog. It gives you the opportunity to name the brush whatever you'd like.

[edit] I just checked, its the same in CS.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nope, doing that in CS makes a new brush regardless of the name I enter. If I make a brush called "Chalk 1", select it, then alter a setting like size, and try to save a new brush called "Chalk 1", it just appends a new brush with the same name onto the end of the list (tool or brush preset, doesn't matter, it does the same thing) ... which is just nonsensical.

What about this instanced layer thing you were talking about? I'm still interested in learning how that works.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    ahah, Dude per, u are my hero. Watch out for scooby he start insulting u when u dont agree with him.

OMG WHAT AREU EATING BTW!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That dinner looks pretty good, Per. Care to share the recipe? Over in GD of course. That's where PaK is posting all of his smile.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP: Ah, so you want to be able to edit a brush preset and save changes to that definition? My misunderstanding. In that instace, yes you are correct. You create a new preset and delete the old one. I agree that is a poor decision, although I imagine they did it because many people would just "click through" that Brush Naming dialog, and they wanted to avoid people overwriting brushes they wanted to save. That or its just laziness.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, but it makes very little sense. If I'm making myself a new brush, and testing stuff out and tweaking it over time, it's dumb to have to keep deleting one and making a new version... almost as dumb as the big "all filters are loading when you only want one" menu.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes! I agree. Another poor decision. That lamo filter dialog was a mistake. Thankfully, I dont use the artistic filters all that often. Sharpen/Blur/Offset are my mainstays.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    " you're still resorting to insults and harsh language."
    I just re-read my posts and for the life of me, I cannot locate any insults OR harsh language. [edit] oh, I did say "hell" once or twice. Im a potty mouth.

Saying "I was going to say" and then just saying it anyway is still....just saying it anyway. So that equals:

Insults from Per: 1
    Insults from Scoob: 0
    "I was going to joke, like "why so sensitive, scooby, did you get photoshopped in the ass when you were young?" but realized it might drive you into a raving mad frenzy, threatening to ban me and hack me and so on, and my poor heart really couldn't take it."
    As for this, please!? I've been a part of this community and doing this job for JUST about as long as you have. Im not a n00b. Ive yet to make ANY reference to l33t h4x or bans or any other such juvenile jabs, and for you to insinuate or imply that I would or do is just as bad as using those insults & threats yourself.

I have to say Per, I've always admired your work, and your manner in posting on the boards, so Im pretty darn taken aback by this onslaught of ire.

I understand artists are supposed to be imaginative, but I think your imagination is getting the better of you here.
    Yes, I did address a number of your issues,albeit not all in the first shot. I tend to write a post, post it, re-read and recursivly edit to refine my point and TRY to be as rational & calm as possible.

Really, Im absolutly not hot under the collar or upset, its just I dont appreciate being insulted for presenting a contrasting view. You've gotta understand that from my perspective some random guy on PC starts essentially vaguely insulting me. Im not married to PS. A better tool comes along for what I want to do? Awesome! For now, its the best I've got, so I work with it to the best of my ability.

Being that I TEACH people how to use Photoshop as part of my job, Im used to people asking now to do this, or having misconceptions about how XYZ function works, etc.

As for the Instanced layers, you can convert any layer, or combination of layers into a Smart Object. This then is an instance of your original, and can be rotated, have layer effects applied to it all without degrading the quality, etc. Any modifications made the the original will propagate through the other instances. This is a feature new to CS2 I believe.

And for the record you did NOT say:
    "I'm saying that a piece of software has significant room for improvement, I'm not insulting your mother."
    You said that the tool that YOU and I and most of the other people here use on a daily basis to earn our living is, and I quote, "Garbage" "Rubbish" and "Trash", which is far more of an "emotional outburst" than "has room for improvement" or anything I've said.

Im writing a novel here apparently...

As for scripting your own interface, Photoshop does have a fairly new feature I think simply called PS scripting. From what I understand, you can have variables, programming language style arguments, etc to achieve even greater & more complex effects than are possible with actions alone. I've yet to investigate this feature, or spend any time learning the language, but I saw some really stellar re-designs of the photoshop workflow & interface at the PMA convention a couple months ago. A guy had completely re-vamped the PS interface and streamlined it using this language, to create what was essentially a "retouching wizard" that would take you through a portrait retouch, step by step, with a nearly new UI. New buttons that combined features, etc.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And you claim Im resorting to insults rather than facts in this discussion of 2d imaging software? Wow.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    you two shut up please. photoshop has issues true , and its a somesort of windows on image editing , lots of bugs one fix at the time and adding useless stuff everytime. and about photoshop scripting i think it makes more sense that since we are paying fairly for a program that was suppose to aid us and cut us the time it SHOULD include basic stuff as per mentioned , it should be adobe doing it , and actually listen to the critics wich flow theyr emails.

Photoshop CS1 here , wont upgrade to two...
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    One thing that utterly fucks me off is the thing that mop mentioned. The utter USELESS shit. I wouldn't mind a preview but that shit is pulled from PSP and it isn't nice in that.

From PS6 to CS2 the performance difference is totally ridiculous. CS2 is practically a slideshow and for what. In terms of what the program is doing, absolutly nothing. CS2 doing nothing is 10x slower. Why?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well, it must be pretty hard to maintain such a beast. ever saw coders suffer from digging through old source code crap written by some magician who never documented anything?

i guess we can be sure that photoshop in it's current state is one big hack with lots of patches and not some cleverly thought out efficient system that makes implementing new functions easy.
    who knows what happened behind the curtains at adobe but it would not be the first app where development should have been left and re-started at some point.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I want to paint with a vector based system, so that I can infinately scale the resolution of my work, photoshop needs this.. and also a node based layer system ... so many possibilities.. but they just dont innvoate with the damn thing anymore frown.gif

I had to say that... I like it.. but I want more..!