Home General Discussion

Sony: Market Share Is "Not That Important"

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    If the Playstation3 is "not a gaming console", what reason does Sony have to compete with Microsoft and Nintendo? laugh.gif

Bye bye Sony. It's been fun throwing away your shitty hardware.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    MCV is a marketing rag (used to get it at my old place), not even worth mentioning most of what goes in there because it is bloated nonsense.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Sony has always said stupid shit, and blown smoke up people's arses. Saying "goodbye" to them is just as stupid, though.
    Sony isn't going to go anywhere. Ever.

And, HOW is their hardware shitty? I have the same PS2 system I've had since it's launch day. My PSP is perfectly fine, and my Sony DVD player and Vaio are fine. I've ludged most of that stuff from Minnesota to Illinois to Nevada and it all works perfect.
    To compare? My first GBA had 5 dead pixels. My first DS had 3, and the sylus screen didn't work. My original Xbox power cable also melted.

Sony talks smack, but they certainly don't make 'shitty hardware'. Perhaps treating your stuff with a little more care might help.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    My Sony hardware has been pretty shitty. One moniter that went too dark to see after a few years, a shitty CD player that broke after 2 years, a Playstation that would only work sometimes, and a PS2 with a shitty cable that doesn't connect right and a DVD player that doesn't work very well. My Nintendo products have been flawless.

Obviously there is a great degree of chance involved.

There is this other recent article where they are saying they invented 3D gaming and that the motion sensors in their new controller are the same as the Nintendo ones.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=140731
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I guess it's down to personal experiences, then. Everyone I know who owns a Sony product has never had issues with them, ever. Your Nintendo products were flawless, while mine were jacked.
    It's just russian roulette I suppose smile.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    first run PS2 had faulty DVD drives :P

How I feel about the PS3
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The marketing folks can fling crap all they want, it comes down to the quality of the hardware and the quality of the games exclusive to each platform. That and hopefully the bugs will be ironed out and prices drop quickly.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Why does it even matter if Sony saw nintendo had motion sensing controllers and decided to implement it. Really, nintendo isn't the first to use motion sensing, so who cares? In fact, nintendo really hasn't been the first to do much of anything that I can think off. Not that that's bad, they have improved on many things.

I agree with ebagg, it's going to be the hardware quality and games of each system that matter.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    who would you rather go with, the company that innovates (are you seriously saying that the wii controller isn't anything new?) or the company that steals all it's cool features?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    as a customer? easy - i'd go with the platform that offers the larger selection of titles that suit my taste.

so far the only sony product i owned that i could call "crap", is the dualshock2 controller that's a bit too fragile. then again, i don't play the gamecube often enough to ruin the controller there quickly. why? hardly any interesting games for me on that platform... wink.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    ..I'd go with the platform that offers the larger selection of titles that suit my taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As both a customer and a developer I'd go with the company that develops games I enjoy. Of the 3 big companies they all "steal", to think that one is different from the rest is naive. Nintendo's best feature is that it somehow markets in a manner that makes people believe that they innovate everything they do, and that they aren't a corporation lookign to make money.

THeir controller is NOT soemthing new, no. Motion sensing has been around for a long while, they are just the first ones to majorly market it. The only thing new about it is it's shape, which is nothing really special to me.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Nintendo's best feature is that it somehow markets in a manner that makes people believe that they innovate everything they do, and that they aren't a corporation lookign to make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then what would you accept as innovation from a company of nintendo/sony/microsoft's size? Granted, the motion sensor isn't brand new technology, but the way ninendo is implementing it will probably lead to a very unique, new game "genre". For a huge gaming company, it seems relatively innovative to me.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ..I'd go with the platform that offers the larger selection of titles that suit my taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the thing is, the selection of titles for any given console has nothing to do with the quality of that console; it has to do with developer/publisher support, which is based largely on, you guessed it: market-share. So if Sony isn't planning on having the largest market-share, then they're likely to not have the largest or best selection of games. It seems to me that this generation, Sony is basically going to rely on brand-name recogonition alone.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    In the grand scheme of things, Nintendo seems slightly more innovative, especially on the software side compared to Sony and MS. BUT, Nintendo has been around and in the games business much much longer.

In a lot of ways, Sony and MS have been innovative in the past. Sony let their nuts hang when they went with CD technology, and putting a DVD player in their machine really was something new and different. Making a game console out of off the shelf PC parts was pretty damn slick too. I think the big problem people are having now is that in THIS generation, Sony and MS are not really coming up with anything new. Nintendo was pretty guilty of this with the GC. Did that console do anything we hadn't seen before? Maybe the Wavebird's RF tech.

A big problem with this Nintendo vs. Sony debate is that nobody is being very clear.

Obviously Nintendo didn't invent motion sensing. They have done a lot in terms of testing out gameplay concepts that use tilt in commercial titles, and have been the first to combine tilt, acceleration and orientation sensing and use it as a primary control mechanism.

Sony obviously couldn't "steal" the idea of tilt sensor in a controller from Nintendo since Nintendo didn't invent it. As many people point out, this is tech from the mid 90's PC controllers. Why would Sony dig up failed tech from the 90's to include in their new controller? I think it's pretty obvious that they did it so that they could pretend they would have everything Nintendo has.

I think that Nintendo is also obviously not the same as MS or Sony. Most of the marketing stuff for Nintendo is done by Miyamoto, a legendary game designer. The marketing for Sony and MS are done by professional bullshit artists. Nintendo is a games company, whereas Sony is a consumer electronics company and MS is a software company. That seems like a pretty huge difference to me. And Nintedo has a long history of doing crazy shit. Virtual Boy, Track and Field pad, ROB, and Gameboy all seem to have been somewhat original concepts.

A lot of people will call just about anything Nintendo does a gimmick. A gimmick I think is something that is hyped to be cooler than it is. ROB and Powerglove? Gimmicks. Virtual Boy and analog control? Not gimmicks.

I'm going to go with the system that I expect to give me the most enjoyment per dollar spent.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    man, I have a feeling the Blue Ray vs. HD DVD war is going to be ugly. The DVD format was standardized fairly easy since it was Sony & Philips vs. everyone else but now it looks like an even split with big companies on both sides.

This should be the next Capcom fighting game, Microsoft squared off against Apple, Time Warner locking horns with Sony! Epic!!
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I'll stick with my old hardware on that front.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    This should be the next Capcom fighting game, Microsoft squared off against Apple, Time Warner locking horns with Sony! Epic!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd get it. laugh.gif

Well spoken ninja's.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    who would you rather go with, the company that innovates (are you seriously saying that the wii controller isn't anything new?) or the company that steals all it's cool features?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd go with the one I could afford! frown.gif

seriously though, I've had 2 broken PS2s, but I've also had a broken gamecube, and 3 broken xboxs.

everyone has faulty hardware!
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd go with the one I could afford! frown.gif

seriously though, I've had 2 broken PS2s, but I've also had a broken gamecube, and 3 broken xboxs.

everyone has faulty hardware!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really abuse your hardware or something?
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    I think more important to Sony is that they get majority home movie market share with Blu-Ray.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    To compare? My first GBA had 5 dead pixels. My first DS had 3, and the sylus screen didn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is really just luck of the draw. Dead/stuck pixels (there is a difference) are part and parcel of LCD screens. The PSP has just as much chance of having these as any other device. I've heard of people with PSPs having up to 10 bad pixels and people with DSs having none.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting how Sony changed from the largest-by-far company to the soon-to-be-underdog in just one E3. Personally, I'm curious of what kind of people work on Sony's marketing and campaigns. The E3 presentation was, in my opinion, just horrible.

As for the upcoming console battle, I have a 2 month old PC in my room, so if I want to play racing games, shooters or RPGs, I have a perfect platform for that already. What I want in a console is something that I can't have on my PC. And Nintendo has, so far, made the most unique and original games, even if there weren't a whole lot of games for the Gamecube.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Thankfully I've never had a console fail on me(yet). Handheld or otherwise. I actually did however manage to finally overheat my 360 after a 10hr marathon session of Oblivion. Frankly, I saw that as a healthy message to get the heck off my butt and do something else that day besides gaming, heh.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    had a broken ps1 although it was 3 years old so.... but my one year old slim ps2 bust on me last month, my n64 is still working although the grooves in the analouge stick are way grubby
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    NES needs a massive beating and some tweaking and a couple of sacrifices to get it to work
    SNES still works great
    Genesis still works great
    N64 still works great
    PS1 died a year before PS2 came out
    used PS1 died 6 months before ps2 came out
    PS2 still works great
    DreamCast still works great.
    GameCube wont read discs. worked great and then half through a game my brother was playing it just stopped frown.gif
    original Gameboy still works great and it's been all over the country and out of it. no dead pixels either
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    NES needs a massive beating and some tweaking and a couple of sacrifices to get it to work

NES needs a new connector it seems.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    dont forget the "blowing on the cartridge before insert" smile.gif

oh good times
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    never had to do that with my snes only my megadrive,

funny thing it always told you not to in the booklets but some games wouldnt work otherwise

as you said "oh good times"
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, blowing on the cartridge has no point to it, the problem is the connector and by removing and reinserting the cart you move that around a bit. That's what makes it work, not the blowing. The only thing blowing does at all is corroding the metal contacts.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah but that extra bit of saliva made them work a treat