Home General Discussion

favourtie comedy?

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
My current favourite comedy is 'the mighty boosh'. Very surreal and quite dry. I am quite enjoying it.

some of my favourite quotes :

"The walls are full of cracks, the cracks are full of strangers -trying to guess my weight"

"You have to swallow your pride and suck!"

Noel: "Spain..."
Julian: "Where the donkeys are rigid"
Julian: "Where old men dance with tigers"
Noel: "Do you want to do another one?"
Julian: "Yeah.."
Julian: "Where vegetables...no I don't"

"Cryogenics is the new grey"

"He drives around in a small car shouting...'piss' at people and throwing rice krispies out the window."

"Beeyouwteefool laydeez"

"Comin atcha like a beam, like a ray, like a rooster, like a goose trapped in the rafters of a barn in Shropshire"

"Don't you hate it when you get in a lift and it's full of people?...I hate people..."

"We're in some kind of a forest - dense, yet frugal"

"I've got a special bond with the jackals, we rub wrists

"Last time you gave me a pie, I cut into it, and birds flew out of it, hitting me in the face and chin. I was confused. It was a trick pie".

Cheese is a kind of meat
A tasty yellow beef
I milk it from my teet
But I try to be discreet

Pedro was a fisherman... but he never actually fished. People would say to him, "Pedro, why do you call yourself a fisherman, but you never actually fish?" And Pedro would say "Because I fish... IN MY MIND!"

"Over here we got a crocodile with ricketts... don't look at him, he's ashamed!"

" What's up with your hair? It looks like a spiders body!"

Naboo: Yeah, you’ve read all the books, but when it comes to the crunch, where are you?
Saboo: The crunch? How dare you speak to me of the crunch! You know nothing of the crunch. You’ve never even been to the crunch.

Naboo: I’ve been there once.
Saboo: Ohhh, a little daytrip round the crunch. We can all go as tourists! “Oh, that’s a bit of crunch!”

"He was crushed like rice krispies under bison"

"I used to dress up as Jesus. A little thing I used to do, dress up a Jesus! I had long hair anyway, I used to paint a beard on because I couldn't grow a beard at that point, a watercolour beard that if it was hot it used to just melt. And I had a massive cross and I used to get on it and do sort of Mick Jagger impressions."

"Science teachers and the mentally ill, that's all jazz is for." -- Vince Noir (Electro)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS-sOcnb-4Q&search=the%20mighty%20boosh

Replies

• danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    years ago i saw julian barrett live, followed by noel fielding exactly a week later. I don't think i ever really recovered
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    not quite comedy , but i find House M.D humour top notch!

"Dr. Gregory House: I suppose "minimally at best" is your stiff upper lip British way of saying "No chance in hell"?
    Dr. Robert Chase: Actually, I'm Australian.
    Dr. Gregory House: You put the Queen on your money. You're British. "

"Dr. Robert Chase: She was fine two hours ago.
    Dr. Gregory House: If by fine you mean bleeding profusely out of every orifice, then yeah, I believe you. "

"Dr. Gregory House: [to the crowd in the walk-in clinic's waiting area] Hello, sick people and their loved ones! In the interest of saving time and avoiding a lot of boring chitchat later, I'm Doctor Gregory House; you can call me "Greg." I'm one of three doctors staffing this clinic this morning.
    Dr. Lisa Cuddy: Short, sweet, grab a file.
    Dr. Gregory House: This ray of sunshine is Doctor Lisa Cuddy. Doctor Cuddy runs this whole hospital, so unfortunately she's much too busy to deal with you. I am a board... certified diagnostician with a double specialty of infectious disease and nephrology. I am also the only doctor currently employed at this hospital who is forced to be here against his will.
    [to Lisa]
    Dr. Gregory House: That is true, isn't it?
    [to crowd]
    Dr. Gregory House: But not to worry, because for most of you, this job could be done by a monkey with a bottle of Motrin. Speaking of which, if you're particularly annoying, you may see me reach for this: this is Vicodin. It's mine! You can't have any! And no, I do not have a pain management problem, I have a pain problem... but who knows? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm too stoned to tell. So, who wants me?
    [nobody moves]
    Dr. Gregory House: And who would rather wait for one of the other two guys?
    [everybody raises their hand] "
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i think i recounted this before, but the greatest comedy scene ever put down on tape in the history of planet is probably in episode 4(?) of Spaced. Which, i hope, still retains something in translation, although i'm doing this from memory so scuse if it's off :

brian (who's covered in paint) : "what are you playing?"
    tim : "Tomb Raider 3"
    "she's drowning"
    "yeah"
    "is that the point of the game?"
    "depends how you feel really"
    "how do you feel?"
    "well, i got a letter from my ex-girlfriend this morning, it was full of you'll-always-be-special and i'll-always-love-you platitudes designed to make me feel better while lessening her deep-seated sense of guilt for running off with a slimy city boy called Dwayne and destroying my faith in everything good and pure"
    "did it work?"
    "no, it made me want to drown things"
    (turns and looks at brian for the first time)
    "You've got some paint on you"
    "it's a literal tribute to the self reflexivity of Rembrandt"
    "did he like it?"
    "he's dead"
    "bloody hell, that really backfired"
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I recently saw the movie Waiting, the movie has some classic greatness!

Monty's Mom: So I called your house today, at two. You were still asleep, weren't you?
    Monty: That's an understatement.
    Monty's Mom: So what did you do last night? I trust my little angel didn't do anything immoral.
    Monty: Well, ummm... Let's see. I started by getting completely hammered drunk. It was bad. Then drove, while intoxicated, to pick up this disease-infested hooker.
    Monty's Mom: Uh huh...
    Monty: From there... uh, let's see. Me and the hooker went back to my place...
    Monty's Mom: The hooker and I.
    Monty: Excuse me. The hooker and I went back to my place and from there... God, it was just a blur of intravenous drug abuse and unprotected sex, while taking the Lord's name in vain.
    Monty's Mom: Dean, did you know that when Monty was a child everyone thought he was retarded?
    Monty: Dean, doesn't my mom look old? I mean, much older than she rightfully should?
    Monty's Mom: So why aren't you and Serena still together? I liked her.
    Monty: I don't know. I guess it got old. We had a relationship based on orgasms.
    Monty's Mom: Oh, how charming. You are being safe aren't you? I don't think I could handle the idea of you reproducing.
    Monty: Come on, mom! Of course I'm being safe. I pull out.
    Monty's Mom: Yes, well your father pulled out too but we've all seen the tragic end of that story.
    Monty: You think I wanna have kids? Absolutely not! That's why I stick to anal sex.
    Monty's Mom: If only I had been so lucky.

Monty: You see I don't, I don't work with any exact boundaries of the law because I wasn't consulted when the god damn laws were made. No, instead nameless, faceless politicians, the so called protectors of the moral majority decide what is right and what is wrong. I mean come on. I govern my life around my own personal code of ethics, and I suggest that you do the same. That way if, within the constructs of my own morality, I were to do something that is considered illegal, so be it. I feel no guilt whatsoever and furthermore, if I were to buckle under the social weight of the system by adhering to laws that I do not truly believe in then I would be extinguishing the very fire of patriotism and individuality. So in sense, by having sex with Natasha, I'd be preserving the rights our four fathers fought and died for, right.

Monty: With women, it's always one of two things. Either they won't sleep with you, and then there's really no need to ever call them again. Or they DO sleep with you... and then there's really no need to ever call them again.

Dean: How many times can we have the exact same conversation?
    Monty: It's like we're stuck in a fucking time paradox where neither our wisdom nor your virginity will ever escape.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah brian was my favourite in spaced. the actor who plays him is cool in green wing too
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the greatest comedy scene ever put down on tape in the history of planet

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah totally. I also love the scene where Brian is trying to avoid cliches by not *actually* putting brush to canvas but painting with his penis instead.

Spaced is still my no.1 all time favourite comedy and I suspect that it might always be. Whilst there have been many many comedies/sitcoms over the years that try to get laughs from flat/apartment sharing, nothing in my opinion on that subject can remotely touch Spaced. I suppose that the time it first came out there were so many parallels to my own life, that I could instantly relate. Anyone that's ever shared living space needs to watched Spaced. Much that I'm a big fan of Simon Pegg, I don't think any of his work since Spaced has been as funny. We used to watch him before he was famous on the south London comedy club scene, and his standup stuff was truly awesome. Ah, happy days indeed. I've tried American comedy clubs but they just aint working out for me.

I've tried to get into the Mighty Boosh since they started running it on BBC America but just haven't had much luck. Not much more than a titter here and there from me. I guess I need to give it more time!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Greenwing is really pretty damn good too. Just getting into that now.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Sooooo what channel can I see Spaced on or may I just have to get the DVDs?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    the slow-mo imaginary gunfights in spaced were frickin genious
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    sadly, there are and (so far) never will be US releases of the DVDs in a US region encoding. You may want to check the BBC America once in a while, although i would say there is a fat chance of seeing on there again.

I have both seasons here. I've watched them several times.

And my favorite episode is the one where they go to the club.

"....my work here is done..."

*COUGH COUGH COUGH*
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    something terrible hit me in the pub not so long ago. I realised i was sat there with the cast of spaced, Daisy (my girlfriend, down to a tee : "i know there's something i want to be, i just don't know what it is yet" and "why does everyone keep talking about my ARSE?"), Mike (best mate, again down to a tee, probably a bit scarier) and Tim (the AD from work. Yep. Skateboard. Comics. The t-shirts. Bang on). I pointed this out, and immediately got accused of being Brian. Though i'd like to think i was more like Colin.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Greenwing is really pretty damn good too. Just getting into that now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Green Wing is hilarious although I think it could have done with being a tad shorter, maybe 45 minutes.

In my comedy collection I have:

Phoenix Nights - comedy gold. Peter Kay's best work IMO. When the lights go out "I can'work in these conditions. You call me a DJ?!" *storms out* "WHO IS HE?!" hahah, hilarious.

Ali G in Da USAiii - I was never a big fan of Ali G until this series. It's just so funny to watch. The fashion area is the funniest. "How did you get the work to be all about a team..." *some shit of an answer.." [moments later] "how did you get the work to be so individiual?" and the guy fucking answers!

League of Gentlemen - The classic dark comedy. Got all the series and Live at Drury Lane. It really is great and shows how dark comedy can go.

Little Britain - Series 1 and 2. Both great but I shan't be getting Series 3 - that was a flop in my eyes.

I also have every episode of South Park on the computer.

As for my favourite, I'd probably have to go with League of Gentlemen I'd say. Its the sheer darkness and all the characters have value. Series 3 delves a bit from the winning formula of the other 2 but its still great.

"Hello Dave.."
    "I'm not dave"
    "Is dave there?"
    "There's no dave here.."
    "Hello dave, I've got some pegs."
    "pegs?"
    "would you like to buy some pegs, dave".

That was absolutly hilarious (not correct but close enough).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzhTVXanSOM video of it here..
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Saving Private Ryan.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Blackadder is pretty hilarious.

"Hi, bridesmaid, like the beard! Gives me something to hang on to! Woof!"

Spaced is very good too.
    Have to say that, although Peter Kay's stand-up is funny, I never really enjoyed his TV shows all that much, although Max and Paddy was pretty good.

Favourite comedian is probably Bill Bailey, he's just a genius of everything.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Favorite Comedy?

I would say as of this moment, it's still The Big Lebowski.
    I would list quotes, but just about every damn line in that movie is Gold!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sooooo what channel can I see Spaced on or may I just have to get the DVDs?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can buy it on Amazon, but like kub says, it'll be PAL not NTSC, so you'll need a region free DVD player or a hacked Xbox.

Meantime, looks like SPACED PAINTBALL is up on Youtube.

Also, heres a nice little SPACED tribute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqGeKmb4rto

Yeah kub, that was quite probably the best episode! Tyres was the man.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    I still religously watch Seinfeld reruns (also old Cheers to)

As far as BBC goes, I really liked (but missed often) that Alan Partridge show. I always just happened upon it, but when I did I found it hysterical smile.gif
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man that is so awesome thanks for the link Harl. I have all of the DVD's but that aint much use when Im trying to spread the gospel to US friends and they cant play PAL. Long time coming!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The Sinfest rant box:

I'm thinking about starting a religion which is the exact same as Christianity, same book, same story, same rituals. Heaven, hell, sin, salvation, all that good stuff. The only difference would be that instead of the name "Jesus" I would insert the word "Dude." And instead of God it would be "Voltron." Otherwise everything else is in tact. So you got Dude of Nazareth and Voltron Our Father in Heaven. Has a certain ring to it, don't it? I can imagine a Sunday sermon about Dude in the desert being tempted by Satan. What did Dude do? He resisted! Yay! Way to go, Dude! And Genesis would read: In the beginning there was Voltron. Voltron made the earth and the heavens and on the sixth day the Lord Our Voltron created man in his own image. When he saw that it was good, Voltron rested. Moses, of course, would be known as "Beavis." I think it has potential. The Church of Dude. And Voltron. We could play team basketball against the Subgenius people and the Flying Spaghetti Monster Cult. We could form our own league. Winner gets dominion over all existence.
    -T.

On death. Death is a funny thing. It's like magic. We're here. Then poof. We're gone. Imagine what it was like for the first organism to experience death. The amoeba. He must've been like, "Oh shit! Oh shit! I'm... fading away! What the hell is this sensation!? Aaauughhh! Oh Amoeba God, make it stop!" And then, after a fierce protoplasmic death rattle, it's gone. Poof. Magic. Maybe his amoeba buddies gave him a proper burial, dressed him up in a little black outfit and placed him in a tiny casket. Actually, no. They all must've been freaked out. It was the First Death Of Anything Ever. They were probably like, "Dude, what happened to Fred?" as they watched his lifeless single-cell body float off in the primordial ooze, nary a trace of the jubilance and zest for life he once displayed. Maybe they thought it was cool. Maybe they were like, "Wow. Check out Fred. He's all frozen! That's so weird! I want to be dead too! I want to be dead like Fred!" Fred probably started the whole Goth thing. In his wake, he inspired countless other single-cell organisms to be sullen depressives, moping around, wearing little amoeba boots with huge buckles on them, putting on too much mascara and singing Nine Inch Nails songs. So it's all Fred's fault. Fred the Amoeba: Inventor of Goth.
    -T.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    thanks for killing the thread there KDR_11k wink.gif Only YOU are interested in sinfest. Didn't we already have a thread on it?

Spaced came out at such a time to really mirror UK life for us early 20 somethings, just starting out a work or on the dole. Everyone had a playstation and everyone had those kind of flat mates. I think it will remain a classic at summing up what the start of the millenium was like for us.

Nothing can knock Vic&Bob off thier perch for me.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Yeah I think the mighty boosh kind of grows on you.
    Its not funny ha ha all the time ,just a bit thought provoking/smile making if that makes sense.
    I see my self as a bit of a Howard moon quite frankly.
    'Don't kill me I have so much to give'
    (He tends to say this every episode at some point)

I still like vic and bob, though they don't seem very productive these days
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah the "Boosh" is awesome. I sometimes listen to the radio series at work.

Pocket cups are the way of the future.

"It crowd" is good too.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    A Fish Called Wanda
    The Big Lebowski
    Black Adder Goes Forth (Funniest of the series IMO)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    man Jam was frggin cool, and Blue Jam that used to be on the radio, anything with Chris Morris in it is ace.

i love that episode of Brass Eye where they get all those celebrities/mps/gimps to say that a made up drug "cake" is the next scurge of the streets, rmember kids dont do cake.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    man, IT Crowd is awesome, I used to work with a guy like Moss (that makes me Roy then, doesn't it?).

I've got a sign up in my office that gets always gets a chuckle out of the IT guys:

"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    -Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    mmm, little britain was ok, but not as funny as everyone makes out.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    IT Crowd was horrible in so many ways..
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes it crowd was turgid, ahh what a good word, a bit like turd a bit like horrid, with consistency of sick
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Did you catch the live show of Mighty Boosh, Ruz?

Never Mind the Buzzcocks always had me in stitches, but I think that more Bill Bailey going off on a tangent
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhh bill baily that reminds me Black books was brilliant why dont they bring that back.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Spaced and Still Game; everyone I have introduced to them here has split their sides with laughter and decided to get a Region Free DVD player smile.gif

If you want to extend this into standup comedians, you ought to check out Al Murray and Bill Bailey.

Daz: as and Ex-Pat, you REALLY have to check out Al Murray, it'll be a breath of fresh air to you in amoungst the trite pc drivel they call humour here!

Look for 'The pub landlord, my gaff, my rules' / 'And a glass of white wine for the lady'.

r.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, yeah, Al Murray is great.
    Black Books was pretty funny but sometimes got a tad boring.
    I though Bill Bailey pretty much made Never Mind The Buzzcocks for me.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    IT Crowd was horrible in so many ways..

[/ QUOTE ]

bah, well, I've only ever known the IT industry so I relate to it the same way you guys relate to Spaced.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    right.

Nightingales - The channel four series from 1990, in which three security guards working the night shift at a tower block, observe strange and bizarre happenings.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CR6WZS/026-8764788-1553226

just out on DVD, I've always loved it.

Porridge

Father Ted.

Tim in Spaced is based on Jim Murray, comic artist. Absolute FACT. Jim even did the DVD boxed set artwork and a lot of the in series artwork.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    series 2 and 3 of black books ... what the hell was that?! ... i was gonna say that this proves that Graham Linehan was the funny one, and when he stopped writing it it went downhill at a billion miles per hour ... but then i remembered he also wrote the IT Crowd, by himself. Christ.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    has anyone mentioned the earlier series of red dwarf yet? I loved that when it aired, although the later series were a bit meh
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I agree, it rather painful at times. I preferred black books and bill bailey was ace in that
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Tim in Spaced is based on Jim Murray, comic artist. Absolute FACT. Jim even did the DVD boxed set artwork and a lot of the in series artwork.

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine from Art school, is friends with Jim Murray who is a pal of Simon Pegg. Not so sure that Tim's character is literally completely based on Jim Murray, but he was most definitely a strong influence and most definitely did Art for the show smile.gif

http://www.jimmurrayart.com

Dylan Morans standup rules, but I wasnt a fan of Black Books. It had its moments early on, but generally, meh.

edit: Ror yeah I also saw Al Murray doing standup on the London comedy club circuit, but what's he done lately? Anything in particular you can recommend. Did he have his own show or something?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    oh yeah Rooster, I have red dwarf season 1 and 2 on DVD, hilarious stuff!

"Everybody's dead, Dave."
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Going to have to echo the Spaced (and, by extension, Shaun of the Dead) love here. House is quite funny but I don't watch it terribly often... Though they're not gutbusting, laughing-out-loud type movies, I've always enjoyed Wes Anderson's piquant sense of humor that pervades every last detail of what he does, it rewards observation. For instance, in the Life Aquatic, where Bill Murray's character rides a bike on the beach while exercising with his team.. his hole team has Glock pistols strapped to their legs, and the bike has an additional Glock strapped to the basket for no apparent reason. Stuff like that just makes me laugh.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    A friend of mine from Art school, is friends with Jim Murray who is a pal of Simon Pegg. Not so sure that Tim's character is literally completely based on Jim Murray, but he was most definitely a strong influence and most definitely did Art for the show smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye, when I was at Ubi I worked with 3 peopl who had went to Art School with Jim. Jim lived in Bicester, as did Olly and myself, and we'd spend many evenings in the Hobgoblin.

Anyway, the story goes that when they were writing Spaced, Simon asked Jim what a comic book artist did, and he said 'playstation and dope'.

I've got a huge A2ish sized original Batman done by Jim. I'll post a link to it later. Both Jim and Olly moved to Canada around the same time.

As for Al Murray, he got at least one series of his own, set in a pub. Where he was the landlord.

Edit!

batman.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    'Did you catch the live show of Mighty Boosh, Ruz?'

Nah , but a few of the guys at work saw it and said it was ace.
    never been to a live comedy
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I saw Ross Noble live in Newcastle a couple of years back, he was absolutely hilarious. Totally random humour, but he has a great delivery.