Home General Discussion

Playing import games on your PS2?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ebagg polycounter lvl 17
Yes, I'm nerding out. There is one particular game that was released in Japan that I gotta get. The Berserk PS2 game was released in 2004 but from all I've seen it isn't being translated, so I'm going to order it and figure out how to run the import game on my PS2.

Does anyone have advice on this? I don't want to void the PS2's warranty by soldering some mod chip onto the hardware, from what I've seen Swap Magic PS2 boot disk and a slide tool apparently can launch import games on my US PS2 without modifying the hardware;
http://www.success-hk.com/welcome/ps2-tools/ps2-tool.htm

Has anyone ever modified a console to play import games? Does anyone know of recommendable import games (particularly playstation/PS2)?

(and does Hawken, Polycount's ambassador to Japan know any good games over there that aren't over here in the United States?)

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    For what ive heard its much more difficult to get imports to work compared to pirates or pirated imports.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    That's pretty sad, it's harder to do something legit than something illegal for a game to work...it'd just be preferable to have a cheaper solution than buying a Japanese console, especially when I'm only looking at one game...
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    out for lunch, please leave a message.

often these import discs can get running with a cover disk from any games mag, they often give them away. If not look for the cheat code disks, these are often a quick and cheap way to get a ps2 to run import, try Action Replay etc. DVD region unlockers will do the same job, I've heard.

these days even the most obscure titles get a release outside of Japan. Gone are the days of secret of mana3 and mario rpg. TBH theres not much here that you'd want to see, save bizarre manga and anime tie-ins or text heavy RPGs that are not much fun anyway.

The Japanese version of auto modelista is very different
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    it all depends on what kind of game you're into. there are tons of cool shooters (arcade ones, not the FPS kind) that are only playable on jap consoles. or if you're lucky, you get a bad 50hz port for europe that stutters like mad and takes two years to surface after the jap version.

anyway, i think except for modding your console, using some hack or whatever or buying a jap console there isn't much that can be done unfortunately.
  • Bort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bort polycounter lvl 18
    Swap magic will work fine and is easy to use. All you need to do if you have an old bulky console is remove the front bar on the cd tray. Just get the right slide tool for your console. Also swap magic only works with ps2 games, You'll need to get breaker pro or another tool to play imported psx games.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    On a slim one you have to replace the drive cover with one that has a door for the disc.

I wish it was as easy as it is on the Gamecube, plop in an import-enabler disc, power on, change disc, done.
  • KaosNKorruption
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KaosNKorruption polycounter lvl 18
    consider the video format as well...
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    consider the video format as well...

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt matter, i have played US and Jap games on a modded Euro PS1 on a PAL tv.
    Only thing is that they might look stripey.